Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times

Advertisements

Being a female who has little experience with the male species, I don't know, and I want your opinion. I've heard that men do tend to be better at spatial reasoning and abstract thinking (like mathematics) than women, and I've also heard that they are better at "staying on topic" than we are. I've also heard, though, that we are better by nature at remembering things and multitasking. We are also great communicators and can tell good stories with lots of details. I just want a little information. I read a misogynist article that kind of upset me, and I want to clarify with hard science and anecdotal evidence.

If men are extremely different from women in mind, do you think perhaps they should be educated differently?

Last edited by krmb; 09-06-2014 at 08:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 11:59 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,787,918 times
Women can be excellent scientists... Marie Curie.
Men can be excellent story tellers... Mark Twain.

What men and women can or desire to learn, I see no difference between them. How men and women learn is different. They may require different methods of motivation.

Old 09-07-2014, 03:32 AM

93 posts, read 77,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
If men are extremely different from women in mind, do you think perhaps they should be educated differently?

I think they ARE educated differently based on subconscious, deeply ingrained chauvinistic beliefs and that's why you are seeing differences. I believe men and women are equally intelligent and can and do learn what they are taught.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:36 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
When I was studying to do a part of someone from the other side, one of the things I did was talked with a psychologist who had been my prof and mentor on a previous degree. She told me that men and women tend to work mentally the same way, just with different variations here and there.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,415,462 times
Quote:
Being a female who has little experience with the male species, I don't know, and I want your opinion. I've heard that men do tend to be better at spatial reasoning and abstract thinking (like mathematics) than women, and I've also heard that they are better at "staying on topic" than we are. I've also heard, though, that we are better by nature at remembering things and multitasking. We are also great communicators and can tell good stories with lots of details. I just want a little information. I read a misogynist article that kind of upset me, and I want to clarify with hard science and anecdotal evidence.

These studies seem outdated.. and Psychology today is the equivalent of U.S. News in journalism.. pop junk.

Where to find legit sources of information? Definitely not on the web.

Peer reviewed, value-neutral, academic resources and journals are more reliable, but the general public doesn't have access to these papers or professional mags and unfortunately misinformation spreads, and people take these old ideas and concepts like it's the holy grail of information.

If men and women's brains are wired differently, which populations are people referring to? Heterosexual populations only? Or does it include the Homosexual communities? How are people's biological processes different?

I have no doubt that there are subtle differences relating to our hormones and sexual drives, which can also relate to how we process information or derive to our conclusions, and influence our choices and preferences..

But, I've met males who are quite empathic and great at listening. They love art. They're not what's described stereotypically as the "emo" "fem" kid, but they do possess the abilities to understand women, and I've equally met women who don't understand other women, who are callous and non-empathic.. do not have a mothering nature.. ladies who are rough and tough that hate other women.

There are so many variants. But, on the whole, I do agree about the general differences. And, the smaller minute ones can tell a whole other huge story about a person, making them very individually unique, and not at all gender stereotypical.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:11 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,134,830 times
Quote:

Masculine and feminine energies are different and have their own characteristics. But females and males have a combination of those energies within them. How they act depends on the ratio of masculine/feminine energies within them.

For example, a male with a very strong masculine energy will be a fast thinker, aggressive, protective, controlling, focused.
A male with feminine energy would be softer, more creative, wise, nurturing, considerate, compassionate.

I think the balance between the two energies makes the best person. Otherwise, they are extremes.

Some males are very skillful but hard to live with because they lack female energies (which would make them easier to live with). And same with females.

They do have a different way of doing things and learning things. But the separation is not between males and females, but it's a matter of figuring out what is the ratio of energy in the particular person (which would determine if he or she is more masculine or feminine).

Old 09-08-2014, 11:39 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,146,501 times
Differences do exist, but they only exist on average when evaluating large groups of people. The almost unimaginably large number of ways in which an individual human brain can be configured means that on the level of individuals, you are just as likely to be a close cognitive/psychological match with someone of the opposite sex as you are with someone of your own sex.

To think someone should behave a certain way because of their physical sex is, to me, very gross.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:52 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Men are good at staying on-topic? Only if that topic is themselves. I've met very few men who are good conversationalists.

Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM

4,103 posts, read 5,426,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Men are good at staying on-topic? Only if that topic is themselves. I've met very few men who are good conversationalists.
Coming from a man, I have to agree. Im more of a small talker/chit chatter because I like learning about people and hearing interesting stories. But it is definitely frustrating to talk to fellow guys who seem to ONLY be able to talk about football. I think overall we're just wired to only get communicative when it is in a sports, hunting, passing on of knowledge kind of role. Rarely do I find guys are good at just sitting around and shootin' the breeze. Oh and politics, you can usually get an older guy going by just mentioning one word, Regan.

Old 09-09-2014, 02:02 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post
Coming from a man, I have to agree. Im more of a small talker/chit chatter because I like learning about people and hearing interesting stories. But it is definitely frustrating to talk to fellow guys who seem to ONLY be able to talk about football. I think overall we're just wired to only get communicative when it is in a sports, hunting, passing on of knowledge kind of role. Rarely do I find guys are good at just sitting around and shootin' the breeze. Oh and politics, you can usually get an older guy going by just mentioning one word, Regan.
haha, I'd be up for that! With women they don't talk about sports or hunting, it's usually about their work and all the supposedly important initiatives they spearheaded and brilliant ideas they had. Thanks for chiming in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology