Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 04:35 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Not reading through all the answers but as I read through your post, besides involuntariy not breathing through my nose , I started thinking I'd have a large fan in the room and turn that on as soon as possible, snatch the kid up (verbally) and immediately assign him a punishment (stand in an area by himself (the bathroom?), give him a red card, make a quick call to his parents... something the other kids wouldn't want done to them. Then proceed to give the laughing students "the eye" or whatever it takes to let them know they're next. They'll try harder next time.

Might bring air freshener.

Do you need to do a biology class on the human digestive system?
Again, that's a potentially useful suggestion, depending on how serious I think the offense is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 08:48 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Well, society says that it's wrong to do in public, especially for women. It's really not a big deal to me, unless someone grown does it on purpose, but kids especially don't see it like that. From what I've observed, young children and teenagers often harass and bully one another for offending in such a manner, whether intentional or not. It gets on my nerves because I can't give directions when the class is in a roar of giggles. Plus, it just sends the wrong message. It tells children who are still trying to figure out proper social behavior that bodily functions are weird and gross and people should be punished for having them. That's pretty harsh.
Well maybe teach them the science of farting. Go over statistics. Let them know it is part of life and they all do it.

Let them know also to be sure before they let one rip. I mean it may be funny to fart, but when it turns into a shart that is a differant beast all together.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:07 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times
It's not just Americans. Does anyone remember this Clio Award-winning commercial from the Seventies? It played on the Johnny Carson Show and was shocking at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW79SlWqZHM

As a former teacher kmb501, I'd suggest that it's not about the digestive gas, it's about what's the quickest way to derail the sub? Darned kids.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:15 AM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
Since I don't like scatological humor, I once researched for information why and learned it's much more common among the males of our species. I think the ratio is one in four. Send a man a fart machine and he will be entertained for hours.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:06 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,598,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's not just Americans. Does anyone remember this Clio Award-winning commercial from the Seventies? It played on the Johnny Carson Show and was shocking at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW79SlWqZHM

As a former teacher kmb501, I'd suggest that it's not about the digestive gas, it's about what's the quickest way to derail the sub? Darned kids.

That's truly the bottom line. Even when I was in school many decades ago, children know you're a substitute and never take them seriously. In my childhood there was one exception when we had a female sub and she was telling us about college life, the classes and what to expect when we got there. The class was totally silent during the Q&A we asked.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:19 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,249,582 times
At the risk of sounding like a sexist, it's not children but rather boys. Boys laugh about farts because ... that's what boys do .... even boys who have reached the age of Medicare.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:59 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Quote:
I guess that's justifiable for a kindergartener, but I work with much older children who STILL find this funny.
I'm in my 30s and I find it funny. There are plenty of reasons why it is amusing:

1) It's a 4 sense experience. The sound, feeling and smell are funny. It is humorous to see the "fart face" or the old "lift up one of your legs" routine. The only sense that isn't routinely involved is taste, but that would make it even funnier.

2) It's socially unacceptable. Humans tend to find things that aren't usually done in public to be funny.

3) It's usually unexpected.

The bigger deal you make about it, the more disruptive it will be when it happens.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:37 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
children? I am pert near 50 years old and still find them funny.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:23 PM

2,139 posts, read 3,589,677 times
Quote:
Since I work in the schools, I often encounter students who like to pass gas for their own amusement. Class usually shuts down if a student loudly passes gas, and it makes the atmosphere quite uncomfortable, because the students usually give the offender a hard time and have trouble letting the event pass. This little trick totally messes me up in the middle school classrooms. Quiet seat work is interrupted by some kind of class-clown wannabe trying to make everyone uncomfortable. Kids then complain about the smell, harrass the offender, ask me to do something--it's just chaos! Of course, I don't have a good sense of humor when it comes to any kind of rude behavior, so I usually just try to ignore it. The kids don't, though, and that makes me quite angry.

How can I convince them that this is really childish behavior and needs to stop?
Why are they fascinated with this to begin with?
Why do children tend to think that passing gas is funny anyway? For that matter, why does anyone? I've actually encountered adults who are into this stuff!

I realize this is sort of an off-beat question, but I don't like anything that could mess up any perceived control I have in the classroom. As a sub, it's difficult to get the students to do what you ask anyway. I just can't believe this trips them up. What is the issue here?
I am 68 years old. The day when I can no longer enjoy juvenile silly humor is the day I am through living.

Lighten up. The more they see it gets to you, the funnier it is to them.

The greatest loss of control you are experience in you classroom is that you let silliness make you angry.

Don in Austin

Old 09-11-2014, 01:31 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Really... No need to get anal about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
LOL, okay just teach them about farting and carry on.
Lol, this is funny but I know what you all mean. I have a 2 year old nephew who thinks it's funny also. When he was 1 year old, my uncle farted around him & he laughed so hard tears started rolling down his little cheeks. Now, anytime my uncle comes around, my 2 year old nephew makes farting noises when he first enters the room! Lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology