Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 02:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyewrist View Post
Why not have them write a paper on the digestive system each time they do pass gas?
Name the parts of the digestive system could be one. Another question is how it functions,how are nutrients absorbed, how food is broken down, why gas forms in the colon, why does it smell, why do they find it funny, etc. And have them present it in front of the class double spaced with visual aids with power point or handouts for each child in the class and one for you so you can grade it. You can easily come up with 20 questions or more. Even better put the questions in a pretty box locked in your cabinet and when the child does the flatuence, have them come up front and pick the question they are going to write on and announce it in front of the class. You give them a date and time during the class period to present.

This will give them an opportunity to learn something, make them think, learn to public speak, learn how to do internet research, learn new terminology and eventually learn that if it happens in your classroom a paper has to be written. If you can not pinpoint which child did it then that portion of the classroom that the event occurred will have to write the paper. Those around the person will quickly get him/her straight and that will be the end of all the laughing because they won't find writing and presenting a paper funny.

Who's laughing now??

But surprise them at the end of the year and make it an extra credit bonus if they remembered anything from the event by writing a paper for extra points! Or make it a competition between the two halves of the classroom. Those with the most points get the credit points; the other half gets "nada"

You're turning a silly moment into an educational moment.
Or more simply, tell them about the methane issues with cows and how they not only contribute to global warming but on occasion, spontaneously combust.

Btw, if you never laughed at the bean-eating scene in Blazing Saddles, you have my pity for being chronically uptight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 02:33 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Or more simply, tell them about the methane issues with cows and how they not only contribute to global warming but on occasion, spontaneously combust.

Btw, if you never laughed at the bean-eating scene in Blazing Saddles, you have my pity for being chronically uptight.

Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,988,465 times
Hell I'm 41 and I still find it funny. As does my wife. Remember OP, there is some truth to laughter is the best medicine.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,580,574 times
Quote:

Now, well, that one IS funny, but I don't find the one the male students do funny; I just find it grotesque and immature. Plus, it makes me uncomfortable, because I feel like there is a possibility of losing control of the class. There's always one or two students who want to relive the event several more times and get me involved and off track! Plus there's the "I can make as much noise and cause as much chaos as I want because something funny happened" stance some of the children take.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:59 PM

604 posts, read 839,708 times
Quote:

The bean scene in Blazing Saddles is a classic. Anyone who doesn't laugh at that has no sense of humor.

I'm 50 and I still think farts are funny. They just are. I farted in high school in front of several boys and I was mortified. Everyone was laughing because "a girl farted". All I could think of to say was, "Well, I guess I have to change schools now because I'll never live this down." That got a laugh as much as the fart.

Old 09-11-2014, 04:51 PM

2,540 posts, read 2,756,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
Not to be disrespectful, but to me passing gas is funny and I think it's ridiculous that the practice so frowned upon. Maybe in a school there should be an exception, but otherwise, it's funny, and why not just appreciate how funny it is? Why should people have to hold it in and experience pain and discomfort just because someone somewhere decided the act was so appalling, and a lot of other people bought into that lie?
That's insane. Why should other people have to be subjected to the stench that comes out of your butt?

Some people stuff their faces (you're probably one of them) and thus that's why they have a gas problem.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:43 PM

45,383 posts, read 60,575,206 times
I just farted. I'm blaming the guy next to me.

Old 09-11-2014, 08:40 PM

12,041 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Now, well, that one IS funny, but I don't find the one the male students do funny; I just find it grotesque and immature. Plus, it makes me uncomfortable, because I feel like there is a possibility of losing control of the class. There's always one or two students who want to relive the event several more times and get me involved and off track! Plus there's the "I can make as much noise and cause as much chaos as I want because something funny happened" stance some of the children take.
I hear you. It is a pretty scary moment when you feel as though you are going to lose the whole class and never. get. them. back.

And it really does depend on our varied personalities. Some of us can pull off a pretty stern voice and face and have their audience snap to attention. Something about my playfulness, I've never been able to do that. It just elicits giggles. So I always went with my natural response - laugh along with the silly stuff and then do the segue.

You have your own natural gifts to discover and develop to enhance your classroom style. Sounds as though, being a sub, you probably just don't get enough practice time to do so. Or do you come from a longer history of teaching full-time?

Old 09-11-2014, 08:52 PM

14 posts, read 13,493 times
You are trying to regulate pupil flatulence?

How about you do your real job and quit FARTING around.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:28 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,631,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
A lot of adults find it funny as well.

Not that I am saying I do.

Then again I may be inclined to let one rip under the right circumstances. This is usually followed by me saying, "And thats all I've got to say about that." The boys seem to get a kick out of it. One problem though is that my young son and daughter have started to copy me. I get a laugh out of that. My wife, not so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
They think it's funny because of what it sounds/smells like, where it comes from and because of the negative reaction by some of those in their presence. Just ignore it. Children do much of what they do in order to be recognized and get a reaction. It's called testing boundaries. If you don't react, much of the humor is lost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
It's shocking and inappropriate.
So it's funny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Since I don't like scatological humor, I once researched for information why and learned it's much more common among the males of our species. I think the ratio is one in four. Send a man a fart machine and he will be entertained for hours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
At the risk of sounding like a sexist, it's not children but rather boys. Boys laugh about farts because ... that's what boys do .... even boys who have reached the age of Medicare.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
I am 68 years old. The day when I can no longer enjoy juvenile silly humor is the day I am through living.

Lighten up. The more they see it gets to you, the funnier it is to them.

The greatest loss of control you are experience in you classroom is that you let silliness make you angry.

Don in Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
That's insane. Why should other people have to be subjected to the stench that comes out of your butt?

Some people stuff their faces (you're probably one of them) and thus that's why they have a gas problem.
This. I think all the people who think people that don't like this kind of thing are the ones with a crazy sense of humor. I love to laugh. It is one of my best traits according to people who know me. I find this kind of humor distasteful. I did not grow up in a family that walked around, we called it "breaking wind". My father was a fastidious man in many ways and if he had gas, he would get up and say...."I am going for a walk". He did not subject others to his bodily functions and did not allow us to do so. Now he might have been different out among a bunch of men but, not around his household where his wife and daughter would be shown a discourtesy.

Little boys love, love bathroom humor. They are funny that they think it is so funny. In the past, most with any manners taught at home, would grow out of it. Although, I have found girls of this generation often do it as much as boys. It's a different world.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology