Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:28 AM

2,728 posts, read 2,699,416 times

Advertisements

Don't appreciate opinions of mean people. Why would you take their evil words as a truth? Learn to trust yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:58 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Just acknowledge and agree with whatever they have to say even if you disagree with it and you are hurt by their words.

Someone call you "fatty" just nod your head and say "yup i know" (important to do as little as talking as possible, always make sure the person insulting you is doing the more talking) this will make it seem like you don't really care what they have to say which will make them feel dumb.

Last edited by iNviNciBL3; 09-28-2014 at 05:06 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 11:55 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,394,207 times
Don't deal with it...just let it pass.

I remember Wayne Dyer wrote that responding to the insult is like giving someone the power to control your emotions. Let it pass, but tell the other person you don't like his or her attitude.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:14 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
I imagine a bear hiding in the bushes pouncing on them and tearing them to shreds.

Old 09-30-2014, 11:30 PM

652 posts, read 874,032 times
I was told to thank people who insult me. I was told to tell them they are entitled to their opinion but I share a different opinion. Other techniques were to thank them for the education. I once reminded a man that I do not write erotic poetry or letters to men or women. That last part is my own special brand of riddle.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love_Is_Love View Post
Okay, so I posted over in the Philly forum about this (I noticed this is a trend where I live and I wanted to see if other's agreed with me/had similar experiences). Anyway, while I was walking home today some kid insulted me about my weight. At first I ignored it, but that only made the situation worse because they persisted in calling me the name over and over again. Eventually I got fed up with it and told them to "just quit it", but it seemed to do nothing more but let them know that I was actually engaged in the situation (I guess that's what they wanted, eh?).

This is not the first time I have had people pick on me because of my weight. I remember being made fun of all throughout elementary and middle school. It has stopped now that I am in high school, so instead of dealing with bullying I now have to deal with all the damage that was caused during those times.

Today, I am very self-conscious, nervous, and depressed. I have tried to kill myself twice and was hospitalized once for it. I have to take medication because my depression is so bad I can't even manage it on my own. I have been through so much and the drama in my life never seems to end. I am actually going through a very traumatic experience right now, and the fact that those kids insulted only adds oxygen to the flames.

When someone insults me, their words take a hold of me. What they say usually resonates within me...I actually end up believing what they say and that I deserve it. I remember what they said for years to come, and the exact emotion I felt when they said it. I actually sometimes cry over things people have said to me years ago.

So, my question here is, how should I deal with insults? I do everything in my power to make sure that no one ever says them to me (to my extreme detriment), but it never seems to work. Obviously if I am going to live a happy life I am going to learn how to deal with them so that I do not suffer constantly.
When someone tries to knock me down, I get right back up and fight!

You can fight through several different ways which are constructive:
-Find things in life to be happy about
-Be thankful for the little things you do have
-Find ways to improve yourself
-Learn something new each and every day
-Be inspired
-Find something to be passionate about
-Listen to great music
-Read great books
-Wish greatness for others (even your little slimy enemies)
-Think about how you wish life could be, and use that as your compass for your goals/aspirations
-Enjoy each moment
-Savor your day
-Love your loved ones; love and be love
-Do your best

... People who go around trying to degrade or insult you? Like to pull anyone down. They find fuel in seeing other suffer as much as they do.

You know what? Kill them with kindness. Be who you are. Embrace all parts of you, even the part where you feel depressed. In the midst of depression, there's beauty in the making.. even the most depressing parts of our human experiences lays a small bit of beauty that gives us hope to survive..

Question of the day: what was your happiest moment in life? What do you remember about it? What kinds of feelings come up? What were you doing? Who were you with? What made the experience sooo ever lasting? How did you feel about yourself in the moment in time? You can close your eyes and do this, too.

Perhaps you can pull up a mental list of personal strengths in that moment in time and recreate it in your life through listening to music, engaging in art or creativity (even cooking, enjoying a sunset, imagining creative story tell scenarios that inspire you!), and practice. Practice, practice, practice! Like self-meditation, kung-fu hiyah!

Old 10-01-2014, 04:38 AM

11,369 posts, read 9,282,640 times
Quote:
Okay, so I posted over in the Philly forum about this (I noticed this is a trend where I live and I wanted to see if other's agreed with me/had similar experiences). Anyway, while I was walking home today some kid insulted me about my weight. At first I ignored it, but that only made the situation worse because they persisted in calling me the name over and over again. Eventually I got fed up with it and told them to "just quit it", but it seemed to do nothing more but let them know that I was actually engaged in the situation (I guess that's what they wanted, eh?).

This is not the first time I have had people pick on me because of my weight. I remember being made fun of all throughout elementary and middle school. It has stopped now that I am in high school, so instead of dealing with bullying I now have to deal with all the damage that was caused during those times.

Today, I am very self-conscious, nervous, and depressed. I have tried to kill myself twice and was hospitalized once for it. I have to take medication because my depression is so bad I can't even manage it on my own. I have been through so much and the drama in my life never seems to end. I am actually going through a very traumatic experience right now, and the fact that those kids insulted only adds oxygen to the flames.

When someone insults me, their words take a hold of me. What they say usually resonates within me...I actually end up believing what they say and that I deserve it. I remember what they said for years to come, and the exact emotion I felt when they said it. I actually sometimes cry over things people have said to me years ago.

So, my question here is, how should I deal with insults? I do everything in my power to make sure that no one ever says them to me (to my extreme detriment), but it never seems to work. Obviously if I am going to live a happy life I am going to learn how to deal with them so that I do not suffer constantly.
OP has only one post listed, this one.

Old 10-06-2014, 12:29 PM

731 posts, read 1,579,624 times
Default How do you deal with insults

My son suffered through the same thing in elementary school. It is hard on children. I understand how cruel children can be. In high school they turn into manipulators.
You have have been given good advice from these posters. Just decide how you are going to deal with the situation and ignore, pretend you are too busy to listen, or fight back. After you react the first time it will get easier every time you do that act. Manipulators just want to back you into a corner. Don't agree with that.

My son started trying to lose weight and he did. You can too. My son is an attorney now. Those other kids are nothing special.

Old 10-07-2014, 05:27 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
They insult you because you react the way they want you to. You whimper. They don't pick on people that hit back, figuratively speaking. You don't say how old you are but you might have some quick comebacks. Do not say these things if the person looks dangerous.

"Yeah, I have a big a** and you have a little d***. Ain't we a pair?" (To any male over 15)
Or, Crinkle up your face and then say, "Yeah I'm fat and you smell bad."
Or, "I'm surprised you can see that with the sun reflecting off your head, baldy."
Or, "I'm sorry, I'd say something but you wouldn't be able to hear me with the wind whistling between your ears."
Or, "I know it's hard when your daddy ran out on you for your mother to find the time to teach you some manners."
Or, laugh and say loudly, "Hey, didn't I see you in (Insert drug store name here)? Don't you have some sexually transmitted disease that needs tending to?"
If it's a woman in her 30s or 40s, say 1) "What would your grandchildren say if they heard you? My grandmother never talked like that." (Implying they look a lot older) 2) "You'd think you being pregnant and all, you'd understand." (say to a female who is not pregnant)

Or, you could blow them a kiss.

The important thing is not to stew about it, later. Be too busy to have the time to think about them. They don't spend all day thinking about you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology