Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:25 AM

1,474 posts, read 2,298,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
I can't do it because I can't find the pattern (if there is one).
There's no pattern. It's pure math & cognition/concentration skills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
And what exactly is your mental state? Your posts here seem to indicate that it is sound enough where you shouldn't need a psychiatrist.
Writing on internet forums uses an entirely different skill set than is required for functioning in the real world. I have bipolar disorder. I have been in bed for six days, aside from Monday night spent with a love.

Last edited by Zelpha; 09-26-2014 at 11:38 AM..

Old 09-26-2014, 11:57 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,886,893 times
The test is called "Serial 7's" and it's a very common and very effective way of assessing a person's ability to concentrate. No mental health professional will make a determination about your mental state based purely on how you performed in Serial 7's, but your performance and reaction will certainly go into the assessment, as just part of it. The laughing thing is interesting though.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:16 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,202,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelpha View Post
Writing on internet forums uses an entirely different skill set than is required for functioning in the real world. I have bipolar disorder. I have been in bed for six days, aside from Monday night spent with a love.
Okay so you have bipolar disorder and are refusing medication. So do you think you can overcome this on your own? If so what are you waiting for? Did the VA mandate that you have to see this particular psychiatrist?

Old 09-26-2014, 01:25 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,207,670 times
Quote:
No. VA hospital. I'm an Army Veteran. She's not a "guy" but I don't ever want to see her again but I will have to because my options in life have significantly narrowed due to my mental state.

She's a highly-educated woman but I have many qualms with her, such as she insists on pushing medications on me (I refuse), and she is obese.

An obese health professional! Hah! Grrrr!

I put so much effort & energy into my physical health that I am irate when being sent to obese "health professionals." I end up giving them lectures on proper nutrition, which pisses them off. Hah. I can't help it. It's because I crave cookies & donuts & cake & ice cream just as much as they apparently do but I DON'T GIVE IN, and it requires all my strength to keep this up day after day. They appparently give in to whatever foods they want, and I have no respect for their weakness when I work so hard to maintain an ideal weight. THEY'RE the ones who need a doctor!

I am mentally crazy because of this unhealthy world we live in, run by unhealthy people, demanding that we all sacrifice our health for the almighty dollar because that's the way unhealthy, selfish people have organized the world to be.

She had me name the last four US Presidents in descending sequential order too. I did that easily. I could go all the way back to George Washington,,yes I could
I'm sure her ability to perform her "Mental" health duties is not affected by her weight.

So your statement is somewhat skewed simply because she is not a regular "Health" professional like a Physican, Dietician, Nutritionists etc. she is purely Mental Health so not the same.

Besides that task was introduced as part of my Psychology and Sociology classes in college, it is one part of a battery of tests used to assess each patient in regards to different mental skills/tasks.

Your refusal to even try any type of medication for bi polar is not doing you any favors.
Taken as directed at the lowest dose possible can and does help tremendously in one's daily living.
Our son has to take medication and it did take a long time to find the proper dose for him but without it he cannot function and is barely a civilized human.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your refusal to even try any type of medication for bi polar is not doing you any favors.
Taken as directed at the lowest dose possible can and does help tremendously in one's daily living.
Our son has to take medication and it did take a long time to find the proper dose for him but without it he cannot function and is barely a civilized human.
You are assuming that I've never tried the medications in the past, which I have. I have on medical record from previous doctors that the medication side effects caused more problems than they solved. my last doctor a few years ago recommended strict nutrition and lots of daily exercise, which I have been doing. Now I am back in the medical care vortex because of SSI requirements.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:10 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,961,086 times
Quote:
........How well might you perform this simple-ish task if asked on the spot in a sterile, intimidating doctor's office, with no preparation?
DEAD FLAT but then again, arithmetic and trig are my best math subjects. I often do adding, subtracting, multiplying, and division in my head.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:53 PM

Quote:
I sympathize with your son and glad he eventually found meds & dosages that work for him.He's fortunate to have caring family too.

Quote:
barely a civilized human.
And I really sympathize with this part at the moment, when things like this happen: went to the grocery store and found it very natural to find a plot of grass afterwards and sit down and start eating my food. That may seem eccentric to some people, but I find it very comfortable and natural. Will trouble me in the winter time when I still want to do things like that but it will be too cold. I will become restless & irritable.

Or when I wake up in the middle of the night with an uncontrollable urge to do household chores or rearrange the furniture or go jogging outside.

Or when I have no regard for the clock or duties and I live in a dream world, listening to and heeding only my circadian rhythms, hunger, and bodily & emotional needs. All the rest of the world is an inconsequential blur.

Last edited by Zelpha; 09-26-2014 at 04:13 PM..

Old 09-26-2014, 04:53 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Without a pen and paper I'd have a hard time.

Old 09-26-2014, 05:02 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,344 times
I did it and I smiled. I like the "challenge' but I'm good at math, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology