Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2020, 09:05 AM

4,927 posts, read 2,911,209 times

Advertisements

TED Talk: You can grow new brain cells
https://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_t...NFSQE#t-164417

Blueberries, chocolate, red wine, aerobic exercise. Learning, stress, love life, intermittent fasting (caloric restriction)--lead to neurogenesis. Avoidance of high saturated fats, alcohol (except for red wine).

This is why I keep going to school. Studying online is not quite the same: less social interaction, loss of sensual input from direct contact with humans (body language, tone of voice and inflection).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 09:22 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
In theory be yes.
The reality is , the cells aren't necessarily going to be used.
Studied that when dealing in a mini work course on dementia. The cells are there, the cells rejuvenate. Doesn't mean they get activated.

Old 03-01-2020, 12:13 PM

786 posts, read 1,594,648 times
Default No amount of alcohol is good for you.

There are several huge studies that have disproven that any alcohol, whether it be wine (red or not), beer or hard liquor is good for you. That's not to say one glass (not tumbler) of wine with dinner is harmful but the beverage industry has supported superficial "studies" for years that promote the healthy benefits of drinking alcohol, but it's a myth. What is supported is that a compound called "resveratrol" found in red and purple grapes, cranberries, nuts and other healthy foods can be heart protective. Also people who drink moderate amounts of alcohol tend to have higher HDL levels (high density lipoproteins) for unknown reasons, which are also cardioprotective. But this is better achieved through exercise. The problem with alcohol is that it breaks down into substances called aldehydes which are some of the most toxic and difficult substances to process that one can ingest, all other metabolic processes stop when you drink alcohol including the digestion and absorption of food. "Pre-addicts" who have family hx of alcoholism and may be predisposed to alcohol dependence get the green light to drink by the beverage industry which can be very harmful to them in the long run. If prohibition was current, I highly doubt alcohol would be legalized because it is so toxic, causes so much disease, accidents, violence and death. In head to head studies, alcohol is 10 times more toxic, destructive and addictive than smoking weed.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judd2401 View Post
There are several huge studies that have disproven that any alcohol, whether it be wine (red or not), beer or hard liquor is good for you. That's not to say one glass (not tumbler) of wine with dinner is harmful but the beverage industry has supported superficial "studies" for years that promote the healthy benefits of drinking alcohol, but it's a myth. What is supported is that a compound called "resveratrol" found in red and purple grapes, cranberries, nuts and other healthy foods can be heart protective. Also people who drink moderate amounts of alcohol tend to have higher HDL levels (high density lipoproteins) for unknown reasons, which are also cardioprotective. But this is better achieved through exercise. The problem with alcohol is that it breaks down into substances called aldehydes which are some of the most toxic and difficult substances to process that one can ingest, all other metabolic processes stop when you drink alcohol including the digestion and absorption of food. "Pre-addicts" who have family hx of alcoholism and may be predisposed to alcohol dependence get the green light to drink by the beverage industry which can be very harmful to them in the long run. If prohibition was current, I highly doubt alcohol would be legalized because it is so toxic, causes so much disease, accidents, violence and death. In head to head studies, alcohol is 10 times more toxic, destructive and addictive than smoking weed.
I'm sure that's true, but a single glass of red wine is part of the culture in many social and ethnic groups, though drunkeness is frowned on. Just limit your intake.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:34 PM

9,868 posts, read 7,712,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
TED Talk: You can grow new brain cells
https://www.ted.com/talks/sandrine_t...NFSQE#t-164417

Blueberries, chocolate, red wine, aerobic exercise. Learning, stress, love life, intermittent fasting (caloric restriction)--lead to neurogenesis. Avoidance of high saturated fats, alcohol (except for red wine).

This is why I keep going to school. Studying online is not quite the same: less social interaction, loss of sensual input from direct contact with humans (body language, tone of voice and inflection).
It sure is nice to see some optimistic news! When I began a period of learning something new very recently, I made a schedule for myself to cover a specific portion in a certain timespan. After a few weeks of this, on some days I felt like ditching a session that day. But I did not, and what I found was that within minutes of delving into the subject, I became immersed in it, and I swear my mind came alive. It was a wonderful feeling!

Now anytime I feel a bit blah and there is no physical cause such as poor sleep the night before, I remember this and Just Do It. This carried me through doing a rearrangement of some things in the garage that I had been dithering over, on and off, trying to “see” what it would be like without going through the actual motions and possibly then wanting to put it all back. But once I did it, the gratification of the slight improvement being realized must have triggered other ideas.

Using the brain is a self-rewarding activity. This makes me happy.

Old 03-10-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
It sure is nice to see some optimistic news! When I began a period of learning something new very recently, I made a schedule for myself to cover a specific portion in a certain timespan. After a few weeks of this, on some days I felt like ditching a session that day. But I did not, and what I found was that within minutes of delving into the subject, I became immersed in it, and I swear my mind came alive. It was a wonderful feeling!

Now anytime I feel a bit blah and there is no physical cause such as poor sleep the night before, I remember this and Just Do It. This carried me through doing a rearrangement of some things in the garage that I had been dithering over, on and off, trying to “see” what it would be like without going through the actual motions and possibly then wanting to put it all back. But once I did it, the gratification of the slight improvement being realized must have triggered other ideas.

Using the brain is a self-rewarding activity. This makes me happy.
Makes me happy, too. I teach music, and there was a time when most private teachers would not take adult students. This was a mistake. Adult violin, piano and fiddle students can benefit cognitively, emotionally and socially from lessons. I've had students ages 20-90, and many do very well and really enjoy lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology