Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:23 AM

324 posts, read 294,356 times

Advertisements

Well, I would gladly not have had my father in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:26 AM

4,197 posts, read 4,449,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Yes, this thread has a provocative title, but I gotta draw y'all in here somehow and my winning smile is not text.

It seems like the biggest group of douche bags/a holes out there are men who grew up without fathers. Obviously not every guy who grew up without a father is bad, I would bet most are very good in fact. It's whole all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares thing.

Anyway, it seems like the biggest pricks out there have a correlation to growing up without a dad.

I don't know if it just gives them a bad disposition or what.

Thoughts?
I'd rephrase the concept you are trying to convey by saying, "Men who grow up with no father figure or guardian who takes an active effort in disciplining and nurturing them generally turn out to be poorly skilled in getting along with others in a civilized respectful manner, and those who have abusive guardians usually turn out the worst.

The wild card component is it still is up to the individual. I'm sure many have seen this phenomena whereby, two children in same household raised by same guardian turn out totally different - based upon how they respond to their situation in life. I'm reminded of the story of two boys raised by an absentee father who upon explaining why they are the way they are, one responds "it's because of my father" (the maladjusted one) and the other (well adjusted one) responds with, "well I didn't want to be like what I had as an example of a father."

Also, there are occasional statistical outliers that are simply 'bad seed'.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,071 times
Nah, in my experience men with fathers tended to be jerks more than those with a single parent mother. The dudes I know without fathers had to mature sooner, basically learning that life isn't a cakewalk. Those guys seemed more authoritative and confident because they weren't carrying around the pathologies of their fathers. Of course when I say that, I'm talking about a handful of dudes that happened to have great moms. This probably wouldn't be the case if they had pushover moms.

Obviously, two great parents is better than one great parent. Many of the guys that end up in prison, didn't get there because they lacked a father. The ended up in prison because they didn't have ONE good parent or they chose not to listen to anyone that offered sound advice. Besides, most of these prisoners lack education and are mired in multigenerational poverty. Fathers being present or absentee wouldn't make much difference for most of them.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
Nah, in my experience men with fathers tended to be jerks more than those with a single parent mother. The dudes I know without fathers had to mature sooner, basically learning that life isn't a cakewalk. Those guys seemed more authoritative and confident because they weren't carrying around the pathologies of their fathers. Of course when I say that, I'm talking about a handful of dudes that happened to have great moms. This probably wouldn't be the case if they had pushover moms.

Obviously, two great parents is better than one great parent. Many of the guys that end up in prison, didn't get there because they lacked a father. The ended up in prison because they didn't have ONE good parent or they chose not to listen to anyone that offered sound advice. Besides, most of these prisoners lack education and are mired in multigenerational poverty. Fathers being present or absentee wouldn't make much difference for most of them.
That is your independent experience and it doesn't bear out statistically in the overall population. You can pull up statistics on bad fathers and mothers to stand on its own as a separate issue.

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)

Statistics | The Fatherless Generation

Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post

You might want to edit the subject line because the way it reads now --"men who group up without fathers"-- doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem to be what you want to discuss. You might be losing a significant part of your audience not to mention a certain amount of credibility.

Just a suggestion.
Yeah, I thought it meant getting into gangs or something.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:21 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,031 times
I wouldn't say that they're the worst, and I think that a whole bunch of other variables are also connected, but I would agree that growing up without a father has a profound effect on a son.

My paternal grandfather wasn't present for his kids very often, but my dad and his brothers saw how their father acted and decided they didn't want to be anything like him. All of them went through college, got married, stayed married, had kids, and were very successful. Their's is a case of using something negative to drive you to do something positive, but I know that some people struggle to do that. It's usually the men who grew up without fathers AND weren't well supported by their mother or anyone else that tend to struggle the hardest.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:27 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,274,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
That is your independent experience and it doesn't bear out statistically in the overall population. You can pull up statistics on bad fathers and mothers to stand on its own as a separate issue.

63% of youth suicides are from fatherless homes (US Dept. Of Health/Census) – 5 times the average.
90% of all homeless and runaway children are from fatherless homes – 32 times the average.
85% of all children who show behavior disorders come from fatherless homes – 20 times the average. (Center for Disease Control)
80% of rapists with anger problems come from fatherless homes –14 times the average. (Justice & Behavior, Vol 14, p. 403-26)
71% of all high school dropouts come from fatherless homes – 9 times the average. (National Principals Association Report)

Statistics | The Fatherless Generation
So....are you agreeing with the OP?

Old 09-28-2014, 03:42 PM

545 posts, read 631,995 times
For my kind -

Nazareth - Hair of the Dog - YouTube

Old 09-28-2014, 04:43 PM

99,504 posts, read 4,489,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You might want to edit the subject line because the way it reads now --"men who group up without fathers"-- doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem to be what you want to discuss. You might be losing a significant part of your audience not to mention a certain amount of credibility.

Just a suggestion.
I thought it meant social groups of men who exclude fathers for some reason.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:47 PM

137 posts, read 272,674 times
I don't know....I kind of think men who grow up with abusive fathers in the home as a consistent, "stable" example end up being the biggest douchebags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology