Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 11:52 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times

Advertisements

Yes, this thread has a provocative title, but I gotta draw y'all in here somehow and my winning smile is not text.

It seems like the biggest group of douche bags/a holes out there are men who grew up without fathers. Obviously not every guy who grew up without a father is bad, I would bet most are very good in fact. It's whole all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares thing.

Anyway, it seems like the biggest pricks out there have a correlation to growing up without a dad.

I don't know if it just gives them a bad disposition or what.

Thoughts?

Last edited by elnina; 03-02-2020 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 04:56 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,242,966 times
You might want to edit the subject line because the way it reads now --"men who group up without fathers"-- doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem to be what you want to discuss. You might be losing a significant part of your audience not to mention a certain amount of credibility.

Just a suggestion.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,276,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
You might want to edit the subject line because the way it reads now --"men who group up without fathers"-- doesn't really make any sense and doesn't seem to be what you want to discuss. You might be losing a significant part of your audience not to mention a certain amount of credibility.

Just a suggestion.
Agreed.

OP, before you pat yourself on the back for starting a "thread with a provocative title" , you might want to edit it.

I do not like lumping people together. I grew up without a father, and I would hate for a man to hold this fact against me.

Perhaps you are attracting d bags and a holes for some reason? You do realize that these men had absolutely no control over their father's choices.

This thread actually says a lot about you, methinks.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:26 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Plenty of men who grew up with fathers are jerks, too. And some single moms did a great job raising their boys. There's little, if any, correlation.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:37 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
This thread is biased. Not "all" are like that.Some dad's are jerks and make their son's just like them.Some mom's are nurturing and have son's like that.Some single dad's are kind does this make their son's gay?

Before you assume don't make an azz out of u or me.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:54 AM

3,278 posts, read 5,389,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post

Just a suggestion.
Too late man. Darn auto correct.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:28 AM

2,157 posts, read 1,443,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandalorian View Post
Yes, this thread has a provocative title, but I gotta draw y'all in here somehow and my winning smile is not text.

It seems like the biggest group of douche bags/a holes out there are men who grew up without fathers. Obviously not every guy who grew up without a father is bad, I would bet most are very good in fact. It's whole all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares thing.

Anyway, it seems like the biggest pricks out there have a correlation to growing up without a dad.

I don't know if it just gives them a bad disposition or what.

Thoughts?
One factor could be that these boys/young men did not have someone to hold them accountable. My dad is still alive and I'm 46, just that fact alone may still play a small role in how I behave. When I was younger it played a much bigger role...just knowing that I would be forced to answer for something I may have done. A kid without a dad, and nobody filling that role, can act out and not feel like he has anybody that will hold him to account.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:43 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,285,568 times
Actually I think it works out to men who did not have a parent at home to supervise them when they were growing up - frequently turn out to be wild and crazy men (uncontrolled brats).

That is if there is no dad, then mom must work - these days maybe two jobs, so never at home - kids go wild!

Old 09-28-2014, 10:51 AM

31,031 posts, read 22,064,322 times
There are plenty of great kids without fathers in their lives. On the other hand almost all prisons are full of children without fathers.

Old 09-28-2014, 11:12 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,984 times
Why not say people who grow up without a stable father figure in their lives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology