Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2014, 07:07 PM

5,155 posts, read 4,621,613 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
introverts can be friendly!

Introverts also can have many friends.

This might help: The Myers & Briggs Foundation - Extraversion or Introversion
Yes! This helps! I'm more of an introvert - definitely. I spend a lot of time in my head and in books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 07:43 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,630 times
On both occasions that I took the Myers Briggs test I came up as an ISTP. Within the ISTP designation I was further determined to be in a smaller subset. This was paid for by my company and each of the participants were interviewed by a personality expert. She said that I would appear to be an extrovert as I aged but I would still be an introvert the rest of my life.

I didn't know before this that a person could appear to be an extrovert when they were an introvert.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:46 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
introverts can be friendly!

Introverts also can have many friends.

This might help: The Myers & Briggs Foundation - Extraversion or Introversion
I'm friendly, but when people who are more social try to make small talk to me i can never keep the conversation going not because i dislike them, i just can't think of anything to say.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:43 AM

11,554 posts, read 9,325,947 times
Im an introvert, after a night out I just need a bit of time to cuddle with a good book or something like that. Personally I love social gatherings with friends, but I hate parties. Im just not that good at introducing myself to people (unless they talk to me first). Whenever I go to a party I just sort of hang on to the sleeve of a friend; it's way easier to get introduced if you're with a friend as opposed to just walking around by yourself.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:03 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I'm friendly, but when people who are more social try to make small talk to me i can never keep the conversation going not because i dislike them, i just can't think of anything to say.

Some introverts struggle with small talk. I think it's fairly common. & agree it doesn't mean they're not friendly

Old 10-20-2014, 02:04 AM

3,152 posts, read 2,732,034 times
As in introvert, there is no worse form of excruciating hell than being pushed into meaningless small talk.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,892 times
The one common thing that strikes me in all these "introvert charts" or the like - the "ME ME ME ME!!! It's all about what _I_ want and what _I_ need!!!!" followed by the general sentiment of "leave me the hell alone!"

As an introvert myself, it's also the one thing that continues to bug me. It's always "how to deal with the introvert". Why not "how to get along with everyone else"? or "how to not come off as selfish jerks to everyone else"?

I'm really not the least bit surprised that people expect these articles to be demeaning, or otherwise negative in reference to us, given how we act as a whole. Sure, we all need our alone time, but if we're going to expect people different from us to accommodate our needs and desires, why shouldn't we be doing the same in return?

Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,208,490 times
another introvert here. I feel like printing several copies of the article and giving them to some of my loudmouth co-workers.

yeah, introverts can have a lot of friends. but they do not necessarily want them. more friends=more obligations. as I get older, my desire to make friends dwindles. chalk it up to bad experiences I guess. when people take advantage of your good nature, then you eventually need to learn to abandon that good nature to avoid further exploitation. it's just more peaceful to read a book, go for a run, watch a movie, or get lost in a video game rather than forcing myself to go out to a bar and end up drinking too much because public social settings make me nervous.

many extroverts like to make friends to seek approval, fit in. me? I don't give a damn about approval from others or "fitting in". do most extroverts act the way they do because they're insecure? not for me to say, but most of the ones I've come across were always trying to compensate or cover up their insecurities.

I get it now. all of those who singled me out for being "quiet" or "shy" were seeking some form of validation or approval from me. unfortunately, most of them never got the concept that singling someone out for their introversion will likely produce the opposite result than they intended.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:07 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
The one common thing that strikes me in all these "introvert charts" or the like - the "ME ME ME ME!!! It's all about what _I_ want and what _I_ need!!!!" followed by the general sentiment of "leave me the hell alone!"

As an introvert myself, it's also the one thing that continues to bug me. It's always "how to deal with the introvert". Why not "how to get along with everyone else"? or "how to not come off as selfish jerks to everyone else"?

I'm really not the least bit surprised that people expect these articles to be demeaning, or otherwise negative in reference to us, given how we act as a whole. Sure, we all need our alone time, but if we're going to expect people different from us to accommodate our needs and desires, why shouldn't we be doing the same in return?
What about just respecting someone's wishes? It's NOT selfish to be given what anyone can ask, to be left alone. I think the fixit types who are *sure* if you just got into activities you'd feel 'better' are the worse since most honestly don't understand and even when its explained, still don't. But just as I'd never say to someone who has to have fifty "friends" so they never have to be alone that they needed to spend some time with themselves first, I don't expect someone who isn't intorverted to tell someone who is that they are being selfish. If you don't want a realtionship with someone you ALWAYS have the right to say no to one.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:14 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Why all of the posts concerning introverts/extroverts? Is it the new ''thing'' in social media land?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology