Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 AM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times

Advertisements

http://news.sciencemag.org/brain-beh...rain-game-hype Though not all of them agree. Interestingly enough, video games made for fun might be more effective for slightly stimulating mental abilities:
Quote:
For those who choose to play brain games regardless, recent research suggests that playing some video games developed solely for fun may be as effective, or more, than those developed for cognitive self-improvement. Scientists at Florida State University randomly assigned 77 undergraduates to play either Lumosity or the popular video game Portal 2, in which players take on the roles of robots to solve interactive puzzles to face off against a “lethally inventive, power-mad A.I. named GLaDOS.” After 8 hours of play, Portal 2 players scored higher than Lumosity players on three standard cognitive tests of problem-solving and spatial skill, and Lumosity players “showed no gains on any measure,” the team reported online this summer in Computers & Education.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 08:44 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
But can the game players find their way home driving a car when they turn 16?

No, because when driving around with their parents in the family car, they always have their head down looking at the video game. They never learn directions by looking out the window.

Next time you have driven somewhere in the car with the kids, ask them to tell you how to get back home!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:43 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
I usually ask them because I don't know the way home.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:50 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
that is one of the big advantages of growing up and learning to drive in the era before GPS systems. i very rarely get lost, and when i do i usually find my way back very quickly. my "GPS" system back then was a rand mcnally road atlas.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:59 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
that is one of the big advantages of growing up and learning to drive in the era before GPS systems. i very rarely get lost, and when i do i usually find my way back very quickly. my "GPS" system back then was a rand mcnally road atlas.
I can't even read a map.
The GPS has revolutionized my life.
I wish they had a walking version.

Old 10-27-2014, 11:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I can't even read a map.
The GPS has revolutionized my life.
I wish they had a walking version.
map reading is simple. including topographical maps. so far the only person better at map reading than me is my brother. put the two of us together anywhere in the world, and give us some maps of the area, and give us a destination, and we will find the place we need to get to, even if we dont understand the language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology