Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2014, 04:09 PM

432 posts, read 359,646 times

Advertisements

I am not sure that the Western notion of "karma", which is very individualistic (what should *I* do, why do things happen to *me*?), corresponds to the original Sanskrit -> Vedic -> Hindu concept. But I'm pretty ignorant of that stuff; maybe a Vedic scholar is lurking on the forum?

I think people believe in karma for the same reasons that people believe in lots of other things:
Supports a world view of a meaningful and orderly universe.
Provides a reference to judge what their own and others' actions ought to be.
Lends a framework for a variety of skills and strategies for living in the world -- many of which may be genuinely useful and constructive, regardless of the chosen framework.
Gets reinforced by observation, since people tend to see what they're looking for and interpretations tend to reinforce existing assumptions. (See "Law of Fives".)

This isn't meant to be condescending; all of it certainly applies to my beliefs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtvwtvwtv View Post
I don't understand it. I can't imagine those that believe in Karma think that every single person who gets Cancer somehow cosmically 'deserve it'. So what is the deal? How can someone believe in Karma after they take three seconds to look at the world and all the crap that goes on in it???? What is the psychology behind the belief of 'justice prevailing in one way or another'?

Karma aside.....Does anyone truly ''deserve'' anything? Deseve = earn.

Does anyone ''earn'' cancer?

Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

6,387 posts, read 6,275,196 times
Unfortunately, I have heard people blame others for "letting xyz" give them cancer.

Blaming the victim makes us feel like there is more of a sense of justice in the world than there is. It helps some sleep at night.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:07 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian Slums View Post

Blaming the victim makes us feel like there is more of a sense of justice in the world than there is. It helps some sleep at night.
That's a good summary. If you're one of the "blessed," it makes your good fortune very personal, and that's probably why I find it so distasteful.

Then again, once a year, I read, "When Bad Things Happen To Good People," and it helps me make sense of this life.

Old 10-26-2014, 05:16 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,964,944 times
I dislike the idea of karma for that exact reason. It promotes victim blaming.

Old 10-26-2014, 09:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
I believe in Karma, it means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserved it.

Seriously though Karma exists in some ways, but not the ways most people assume, its not magical. Its that the person who does bad things tends to run out of people who will tolerate it. At that point when something bad occurs they have little or no support network.

Note-this does not apply if you have wealth in many cases, money can buy off a ton of karma....just dont take it too far (see simpson)

Old 10-26-2014, 10:04 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtvwtvwtv View Post
I don't understand it. I can't imagine those that believe in Karma think that every single person who gets Cancer somehow cosmically 'deserve it'. So what is the deal? How can someone believe in Karma after they take three seconds to look at the world and all the crap that goes on in it???? What is the psychology behind the belief of 'justice prevailing in one way or another'?
If you think karma is the universe somehow going around delivering cancer on "bad" people, or just people in general, then you have no understanding of karma.

People get cancer because of uncontrolled abnormal cell growth. The end.

Old 10-26-2014, 11:55 PM

41 posts, read 37,916 times
the greatest and most common mis-perception about karma is that it is a punitive force. nor a rewarding one.

the west seems to have some greatly distorted perception that karma is a kind of morality meter.

there is really no such thing as 'deserving' of anything, not according to karmic law. deserving is not even a karmic consideration.

karma is simply (and yet much more than such simple understanding can illuminate) the law of cause and effect. what is effect, and what is cause in your life? the lessons of karma teach you to know and recognize the difference, and which is which.

karma is a remedial force, not punitive.

using the cancer example, have we not all heard of many people who come to regard their illness (cancer or other) as a great blessing, and feel graced with the gift of a more deeper love and appreciation for life, family, the little things, etc.

whatever it is you need to 'learn' in order to evolve to a higher state of consciousness and greater awareness about yourself, your life, your purpose, your true self......ad infinitum (i'm sure i've got the phrase wrong) is what the experience (karma) will bring to you. it might be pleasure or it might be suffering, a mix of both....and as your awareness increases erg by erg, in ways both subtle and nearly imperceptible, obvious and profound.......you begin to see that it is your very own viewpoint, attitudes and learnings, all the ways you've been influenced to think your whole life.....that determine whether any experience that you have is either good or bad. it isn't about the external circumstances, it's about how/why/where/when your very own state of consciousness and level of awareness will expand and deepen in ways that truly allow you to evolve your own consciousness. suffering might be necessary to deepen your compassion (for self or others), for example. whether you beleive in karma or not, depends more on your current understanding and internal agreement with your own viewpoint.....about what karma is, means, purpose, whether true or not.

as real as karma is, by the very same way of understanding, karma does not even exist. which does not exclude (or at least does not have to) one's belief in it.

how many times in your life have you looked at your ongoing, continuing experiences from a slightly different angle, with the benefit of hindsight, for example....and suddenly been able to *see* that what you thought about it all yesterday, just this morning.....was completely whacked.

nothing about the circumstances changed, you did. and once you see *it*, you are never the same again, there's no going back to that old viewpoint that held your experience to a particular personal ideal you've been carrying around since forever....and with a sordid sort of stale old attitude that was never even your own in the first place, you adopted it from those around you...that insisted on validating it as 'good' or 'bad'.

that's what karma's purpose is, as simply as i understand and am capable of expressing at this point in my existence.

Last edited by sparksy; 10-27-2014 at 12:20 AM..

Old 10-27-2014, 03:41 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,316,954 times
People cling to what seems to make sense, I think. What comes around, goes around!

Old 10-27-2014, 07:22 AM

4,475 posts, read 6,684,039 times
While karma is a buddhist thing and not a Christian one, the fact remains the same: if you want to get to Heaven you have to die first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology