Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 03:28 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,584,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is completely wrong. Your anecdotal experience is not enough to draw conclusion. I'm surprised this comes from someone who goes by "statisticsnerd". Certainly not statistics in the academic sense.

There's plenty of teenagers (mostly girls) that have same sex experiences. Ever go to a party when you were in high school? Girls are doing each other left and right... but they're doing it for the show... not for the sexual preference. Most of these girls never have relationships with girls and they don't continue to pursue sexual experiences after these phases of parties. They aren't gay.

I'd imagine it's less common for teenage boys to have same-sex experiences... because there's no boy-on-boy action at teenage parties like there is girl-on-girl action. But I doubt a single experience makes you gay.
I'm old, so never witnessed this, and didn't even know it was a thing. I do remember a time when it was cool for girls to have same sex lovers, but I didn't know the part about putting on displays in public. Exactly what are they doing at these parties that you speak of as being so common? I wonder if parents know about this new thing that happens at parties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 01:21 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,036,450 times
I was actually talking to my friends about this, who have kids, and they say that they feel that most teenagers now who act bi, are not actually bi, but are just pretending to be or trying to be, because it's cool and it's what's in right now. Do you think that's true though, that kids nowadays will fake bisexuality, to be cool and to be accepted more?

Old 06-23-2019, 01:34 AM

716 posts, read 419,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I was actually talking to my friends about this, who have kids, and they say that they feel that most teenagers now who act bi, are not actually bi, but are just pretending to be or trying to be, because it's cool and it's what's in right now. Do you think that's true though, that kids nowadays will fake bisexuality, to be cool and to be accepted more?
personally I feel like there is a big wave of people realizing their deepest problems. One of them being sexuality.
I have met guys who cheat on their girlfriends and they don't know why. The same guys flirt with me when other people are not around, in the most evasive and "subconscious" manner. People are repressed.

Noone is faking being bi or gay or whatever. people are what they are. If a person likes kissing 3 guys and then settles for a girl, if a guy is straight then gay then straight again that is just bisexual with extra steps. Sexuality really is a spectrum ranging from straight to gay on a normal distribution and I'm starting to think that the reason people are depressed and don't understand themselves is that they are trying to confine themselves into their own rules. "Why can't I be happy? I have everything, I have a wife, I have kids, I have a car". But you have a really essential desire that you never explored.

Of course this is just theory. I am no psychologist, I am no scientist, I'm just a person noticing stuff.
All hail the bisexual revolution.

Old 06-23-2019, 11:13 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,036,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
personally I feel like there is a big wave of people realizing their deepest problems. One of them being sexuality.
I have met guys who cheat on their girlfriends and they don't know why. The same guys flirt with me when other people are not around, in the most evasive and "subconscious" manner. People are repressed.

Noone is faking being bi or gay or whatever. people are what they are. If a person likes kissing 3 guys and then settles for a girl, if a guy is straight then gay then straight again that is just bisexual with extra steps. Sexuality really is a spectrum ranging from straight to gay on a normal distribution and I'm starting to think that the reason people are depressed and don't understand themselves is that they are trying to confine themselves into their own rules. "Why can't I be happy? I have everything, I have a wife, I have kids, I have a car". But you have a really essential desire that you never explored.

Of course this is just theory. I am no psychologist, I am no scientist, I'm just a person noticing stuff.
All hail the bisexual revolution.
Oh okay, so when parents I know say that their kids are not bi, they are just pretending to be, to be cool, are they more likely in denial then?

Old 06-24-2019, 02:28 AM

716 posts, read 419,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
Oh okay, so when parents I know say that their kids are not bi, they are just pretending to be, to be cool, are they more likely in denial then?
The parents wouldn't know, if the kids don't know.
If the kids have openly experimented with the same sex and they have drawn their conclusions sure, maybe they are not bisexual.

It doesn't have to do with denial. It has to do with how loosely defined the term bisexual is and how uneducated about psychology/statistics/sexuality we are.
When people hear bisexual they understand a false dichotomy. That a person equally likes men and women.
Sexuality is a spectrum where you go from "totally straight" to "totally gay". Again, totally is a relevant term since if you are 99% straight and 1% gay you may never find that person who you would date even if they were the same sex, because you would be sure that you are totally straight. Same goes for the gay side.
I would say that to be more accurate about the sexuality, it is a normal distribution(check what that graph is on google if you don't know) maybe 10% are super gay, 10% are super straight and then as you reach the middle they balance their preferences more and like both sexes.

People flirt with each other even as friends, and they say stuff like "if you were a guy I'd totally date you". I believe that if society was more open to sexuality these same people would figure out that it's not that "if you were the opposite sex I would date you", but "I like you but I am so used to thinking I am straight/gay, that I can't imagine that I have been bisexual all this time".

It is really scary to realize that you have been "wrong" your whole life. When in truth, you're not wrong, you are just more versatile than you thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology