Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,130,354 times

Advertisements

I'm a huge stickler about privacy. I don't have a real FB account, just a dummy account under some random gibberish name so that I can see things on FB like pages and events. I forgot the login info for even that though.

Why am I like this? Nunya. jk

I just see privacy as an extension of myself. No one wants people to stand 1 inch away and breathe all over them and ****... that's how I feel about having people all up in my business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2014, 03:58 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,840,800 times
I don't have a Facebook. Seriously, my life really isn't that interesting and if I want to talk with someone, I'll just call him or send him an e-mail. Also, I have never taken a "selfie" in my life. IMO Facebook is used mainly by attention-seeking narcissists. Same with Twitter, Instagram, and other "social media." I call them look at me sites.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:50 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,171,135 times
What makes some people private and some people not?

Private people, or introverts like me....
Don't do Fakebook, lol
We also don't do Twitter, Instagram or anything else that broadcasts our business....
I feel no need to have my pics up on the net....
I get enough attention IRL....

I guess for the desperately narcissistic types who need constant approval & validation,
they feel a compulsion to post their nonsense......

Have at it, lol

Old 11-13-2014, 02:41 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,971,150 times
Fear and/or work reasons are the main issues I can think of as to why some people are very private on Facebook. Then I guess some people just aren't very outgoing and social and/or are insecure and/or don't want to see themselves (or others to) in the sort of way Facebook displays their personalities and lives.

Old 11-14-2014, 09:56 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,807,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
What makes some people private and some people not?

Private people, or introverts like me....
Don't do Fakebook, lol
We also don't do Twitter, Instagram or anything else that broadcasts our business....
I feel no need to have my pics up on the net....
I get enough attention IRL....

I guess for the desperately narcissistic types who need constant approval & validation,
they feel a compulsion to post their nonsense......

Have at it, lol
Yeah I have posted on rare occasions but Facebook is like my least favorite place. I had an Instagram but I already was done with it in 2 minutes...didn't post anything. I'd delete it if I could remember my account name.
I hate all these social networks. With Twitter I will read a select few celebrities' accounts because to me that's what it's for to feel connected to your favorites but generally it's too bragadocious like the others.
Myspace was cool when it was popular. Nothing will ever be like that again.

I use Facebook for my "beer money" sites that's about it. If I even talk to people I will PM them but I really don't like posting. I don't like being in the spotlight. A lot of people don't understand me anyway so if I unload my baggage I will do it anonymously.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:51 PM

1,122 posts, read 959,507 times
I am more open than my oldest sister. We are all on Facebook (3 siblings). My youngest sister shares a lot more as I do. I keep mine very private however and share only w/ friends. People I went to school with - childhood friends etc. I have nothing to hide. I also have websites/blogs because I have many causes I care about. There is no shame in sharing and people should NOT be shamed for what they share. You have the options of not reading. :-) There are many who are interested- who may suffer from the same health issues etc. Personal choice...

If you are not into reading...Don't! Don't shame others though-

Old 08-31-2016, 08:16 PM

862 posts, read 1,195,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberrykiki View Post
I agree with this. I can't believe some of the personal things people post - miscarriages, details of health problems, relationship problems, etc. Some things should be kept private. I rarely post to Facebook anymore. People who really care know how your life is going without reading it online.
I couldn't agree with you more. The worst I have seen on Facebook was that young guy from right here in Denver who was actually celebrating that he now has HIV ( don't ask ) and that man from California who proudly said in a posting that anyone who he sees supporting Donald Trump he will personally bust them in the mouth. No surprise that both are unemployed and no I am no longer friends with either of them on Facebook either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology