Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme305 View Post
The people who do that are very likely mentally unstable. Of all the different ways that they could spend their time online, they choose to come back here to create different accounts every so often. Instead of moving on to something else once they get banned, they take on a new identity. And they do it over and over again. That's a sign that something's not right with them mentally.

There's a user on these forums who creates a new account every so often to start a new thread about an Indian guy who wonders why white women aren't attracted to him. That person is more than likely insane.
Kinda like the guy who feels he is entitled to whatever specialized dating knowledge the rest of us were somehow given?

Or the middle-aged man masquerading as young women who are attracted to older men?

Or the one who gets angry about women "torturing" him by walking around in short skirts or cleavage-bearing tops when they won't let him have sex with them?

Or the one who has been around no less than a dozen times with a story of a woman with a "past" who met a "good man" and took things with him slowly, only for the "good man" to find out that she slept with someone he doesn't like more quickly than she slept with him, and now has issues with her past because you can't turn a hussy into a housewife and zloots need to be accountable for their past actions?

Or the one tho turns every thread in Relationships into a discussion of divorce laws?

Or the one who constantly laments that women won't pay for dates that he asked for and natters on about how married women don't like sex, even though he's never even had a girlfriend?

Yep. Insane, all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbiePoster View Post
I get kind of an OCD vibe from some of these cases, like it's a compulsion that they can't completely give up. Others I think are just needy individuals. Even so, there are other forums, so I don't know why they couldn't try a different venue. Especially since they get the same advice here, over and over. You'd think they'd want to go elsewhere, to see if they can get any fresh ideas. maybe they've been permanently banned from other forums?
They want to post whatever they want, but if they go to a forum of minimal moderation where everyone else can post whatever they want, too, they get eaten alive. Here they get the protection of mods without the discipline of mods, until they are found out and banned again. Some will go hundreds of posts without getting caught.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:41 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
Welcome to the madness. It's the drive of human nature to love drama as it gives us insight into the minds and souls of those around us in our small personal universe that we realize that we don't have any control over.
And if thine eye offends us, should we pluck it out or merely look away ?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:49 PM

538 posts, read 538,723 times
Not sure how things are handled on CD, but on most other forums, people who get sent to "band camp", and re-register with another username, and then start the the same BS again, have their IP address banned.

That way, if they want to re-register they have to use someone else's computer or free WIFI at McDonald's to post. Inconvenient to say the least, to continue posting.

This question can be answered by a mod or admin.

Why do they do it? As a famous person once said, "people are people."

Old 11-17-2014, 09:55 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Well, I'm on quite a few forums and all with the same username. There's only one of me. I've never been banned or cautioned so hopefully that means I'm a reasonable and respectful guy.

On another forum someone joined up and was obviously trolling. The members, including myself, extended their hand of friendship and this poor sod, bereft of any trolling satisfaction, went away without a whimper. It wasn't for lack of trying - we just wouldn't take his bait.

Then again, someone called me a troll on this forum!? Basically for having a different perspective than he did. Hopefully none of y'all think I'm a troll here.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:01 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,207,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well, I'm on quite a few forums and all with the same username. There's only one of me. I've never been banned or cautioned so hopefully that means I'm a reasonable and respectful guy.

On another forum someone joined up and was obviously trolling. The members, including myself, extended their hand of friendship and this poor sod, bereft of any trolling satisfaction, went away without a whimper. It wasn't for lack of trying - we just wouldn't take his bait.

Then again, someone called me a troll on this forum!? Basically for having a different perspective than he did. Hopefully none of y'all think I'm a troll here.
This is without question the best way to handle it. I pretty much try to practice this now on here not taking the bait or responding in any of their threads. Just let them sink to the bottom of the sub-forum front page.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:18 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,905,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post

I guess the reason I ask this question here on the Psychology sub-forum is because I am trying to understand the logic behind this. If I got banned from an online forum I'd probably just stopped going to that forum and find another one (most likely). So does any one have any ideas on why some constantly banned posters keep coming back?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post

Also, they have issues with impulse control and anger management. Some of them get fixated on particular users or mods and can't handle the fact that they "lost" when they got banned, and will keep coming back, either to be a thorn in someone's side or feel like they are getting away with something. It's a form of obsession, as far as I'm concerned....
I don't think it's a mystery at all, Ro2113. My opinion is along the lines expressed by Lilac110 above. We live in times where many people just can't stand to be told what to do. The old idea of legitimate authority has been considerably eroded, and the idea of people's "rights" has been much expanded. Many children are raised to believe the world revolves around them and that whatever they desire is their "right".

So many banned posters are showing that they can circumvent the "authorities" here - no one can tell them what they can or cannot do. The attitude is more or less narcissistic. We see quite enough generalized hostility among posters who have not (yet) been banned to prove that hostility is not rare.

Also, I believe a small subset of these multiple user name people have been the victims of over-zealous moderation. They may just enjoy it here and wish to continue to participate, but do not fit into the mentally "off" paradigm of the majority of banned returnees that Lillac110 and I are talking about.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:36 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Kinda like the guy who feels he is entitled to whatever specialized dating knowledge the rest of us were somehow given?

Or the middle-aged man masquerading as young women who are attracted to older men?

Or the one who gets angry about women "torturing" him by walking around in short skirts or cleavage-bearing tops when they won't let him have sex with them?

Or the one who has been around no less than a dozen times with a story of a woman with a "past" who met a "good man" and took things with him slowly, only for the "good man" to find out that she slept with someone he doesn't like more quickly than she slept with him, and now has issues with her past because you can't turn a hussy into a housewife and zloots need to be accountable for their past actions?

Or the one tho turns every thread in Relationships into a discussion of divorce laws?

Or the one who constantly laments that women won't pay for dates that he asked for and natters on about how married women don't like sex, even though he's never even had a girlfriend?

Yep. Insane, all.
My favorite is the one who makes cryptic thread-derailing statements about being a "real man," illustrating the posts with the same pictures of knives and Danica Patrick and classic rock videos.

Old 11-18-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
My favorite is the one who makes cryptic thread-derailing statements about being a "real man," illustrating the posts with the same pictures of knives and Danica Patrick and classic rock videos.
Is this the same one who posts video clips from Platoon, Full Metal Jacket, and Hamburger Hill at every turn?

I have been remiss, however, because I only pointed out males. Rest assured, females troll reroll, too.

Like the size queen from New York who cheated on her ex-husband and talks about how her market value went down when she hit 40.

Or the one who keeps coming back to talk about her asexuality.

Or the one who says sex is just "in and out" so she doesn't see the point to it.

Or the one who crawls into bed with guys and makes out with them but won't have sex with them and wonders why they dump her after six or seven months of that.

However, I do think most of them are males, with the most grievous offenders being DJs who are mad that their ex dared to be with another man while they were broken up and someone who likes to consider himself ascendant over all.

Old 11-18-2014, 06:40 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
How can you forget the Midwest car salesman who insists he is the "nicest guy in the world" and "very handsome" but can't get a date to save his life, when it is obvious he reeks of insecurity and narcissism.

Or the 20 something "kissless virgin" from Seattle who drinks himself stupid every night then posts here about how life is so unfair because he doesn't feel appreciated in his entry-level job and women hate him because he is short and balding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology