Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 03:25 PM

6,378 posts, read 6,266,389 times

Advertisements

So you want her to change for you but you refuse to change for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 03:32 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
I would not want to be in a work environment with so many workers "upset" and needing to "let off steam." Sounds very unprofessional, and stressful as well.
It sounds like a miserable place to work. Surely productivity is affected by all that emoting and disruption. Hard to believe that really goes on. Where are the supervisors?

Old 11-21-2014, 05:15 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,370,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It sounds like a miserable place to work. Surely productivity is affected by all that emoting and disruption. Hard to believe that really goes on. Where are the supervisors?
I have an image of him working as a chef in Hell's Kitchen, or maybe this is him...

Office Work - YouTube

Old 11-21-2014, 09:39 PM

389 posts, read 426,377 times
How do you know your wife doesn't have one foot out the door?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:28 AM

15,858 posts, read 21,421,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
The kids are just fine, thank you, and are loved on far more than they're disciplined, and no, my son's feet were not scalded, nor he was not made to WALK on hot pavement, I simply decided to not stop him when he, of his own accord, got out of the car barefooted and HIMSELF stepped onto the pavement. The only part where I come in is that he tried to get back in the car, but I locked the doors with the remote and made him stand for about 15-odd seconds that way, I took that chance to make my point "do you now see why you need shoes?" because my feeling on it was that he wasn't going to listen until he experienced the consequences of his OWN choice and made the connection, just like the driver's ed teacher I told you about (his student didn't listen about driving on the right side of the road vs the left until the instructor allowed him to experience a close call). That was a "teachable moment" and things needed to pause for the lesson to be learned.

Regardless, that's been several years ago anyway and happened ONCE. The point I believe I made--it's not my job to put my son's shoes back on him for him, that's HIS job, my job is to TRAIN him on that concept and make sure he's provided with good shoes to start with. Putting them on and KEEPING them on, that's HIS job.
It's abuse even if it happens once. And it's abuse even if you don't consider it to be. Especially if you don't consider it to be, in your case.

What about modeling the behavior you'd like to see out of your children? Children who grow up with parents who yell and can't control anger grow up to yell and be unable to control anger. Or they grow up to cower like the other parent in the equation. You are setting yourself up for a world of hurt when your kids reach high school age. Parenting by fear ensures poor behavior up the road.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:19 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,130,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I was wondering about that, too. Another possibility is undiagnosefd allergies. Celiac disease can cause uncontrollable angry outbursts like that. But there's more to the OP's situation. Because notice that he says he's able to control himself at work, 8+ hours/day. So if he can control himself at work (no food allergy issues or meds needed there, clearly), he can do so at home if he chooses. Some men simply choose to use their anger to terrorize and control their so-called loved ones at home.
My armchair psychoanalysis is that he is walked all over on at work, and feels/is too powerless to do anything about it. So he takes his pent-up anger out on his family, as well as to feel some semblance of power, like he's 'still got it'.

*adjusts circular glasses and takes a puff from a pipe*

Old 11-22-2014, 12:59 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,878,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
My armchair psychoanalysis is that he is walked all over on at work, and feels/is too powerless to do anything about it. So he takes his pent-up anger out on his family, as well as to feel some semblance of power, like he's 'still got it'.

*adjusts circular glasses and takes a puff from a pipe*
Pretty much.

I keep picturing this movie:

http://i.perezhilton.com/wp-content/...as-divorce.gif

Old 11-23-2014, 07:24 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,082,108 times
From another thread a few months back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyguylh View Post
I am not necessarily advocating for laws on this (although they do exist to a certain extent), but I myself can't stand loud mufflers on vehicles. It's simply noise for the sake of noise, and to me it's ignorant.

Someone else mentioned barking dogs--I agree, and in fact that is probably my #1 complaint with regards to noise pollution. When I read stories about neighbors killing another neighbor's dog, I don't feel sorry for the dog owner in the least and to a certain extent I even CHEER this sort of thing. That someone poisons or "kidnaps" a neighbor's dog is not a reflection on how sick such people are, it's a reflection on what jerks many dog owners are.

As for the dog barking and the owners saying "I can't make it stop"--like heck you can't. That durn dog would sure enough stop barking if you'd put your foot up its a`s-s and show it who's boss. Either that, or get a shock collar, or have it trained. And don't tell me how those things are "abuse," that's no different than someone having a noisy brat of a child in a nice restaurant and refusing to do anything to make them stop because giving them a pop on their rear-end is "abuse." You're being a wuss of a dog owner or parent letting your dog/child run the show, and it's not cool.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:38 PM

102,177 posts, read 107,735,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Wow. It's almost like an instruction book of how his wife should deal with him.

Isn't the subconscious interesting?

Old 11-23-2014, 09:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,450,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Truly sickening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology