Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 05:34 AM

1,623 posts, read 1,724,641 times

Advertisements

My SO 78 year old mother has been obsessed with a 55 year old man in her church. She seems to think they dated when they did not and now he has forsaken her. From what I can gather they never dated or had any relationship other than a hi how are you type. She writes nasty letters and calls his current fiancé an ugly hag, a *****, and insists that she took him away from her. My poor SO bears the brunt of listening to her rants and she will call at all hours of the day to give him a running monologue. Any ideas other than my SO not take her calls....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
She's clearly lost her mind and it's time to get her the care she needs. Has that not occurred to you and your SO?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:51 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
She needs to be booked into a funny farm.

Old 11-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
She's clearly lost her mind and it's time to get her the care she needs. Has that not occurred to you and your SO?

Yes, but, she stops seeing therapists after they don't agree with her. Exactly what can be done?

Old 11-19-2014, 05:57 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,372,221 times
Do you think she might hurt herself or someone else? Is she harassing this guy? You could try to get her put away for a 72-hour hold or whatever so that she can be evaluated. Therapists aren't going to do it. She needs to be put on a regime of therapy and medication and kept on it until she's stabilized.

But if she's 78, you could move for guardianship on the grounds that she is no longer capable of managing her own life given that she's delusional.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:04 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Tell her if she doesn't knock it off she will be put in a home.

Old 11-19-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Do you think she might hurt herself or someone else? Is she harassing this guy? You could try to get her put away for a 72-hour hold or whatever so that she can be evaluated. Therapists aren't going to do it. She needs to be put on a regime of therapy and medication and kept on it until she's stabilized.

But if she's 78, you could move for guardianship on the grounds that she is no longer capable of managing her own life given that she's delusional.

I will tell my SO that.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:00 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,884,716 times
Has she always been like this? You are describing something that sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder. A good primer for dealing with this is a book (yes, me and the books again, lol I always have a book to recommend!) Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul Mason MS (Author), Randi Kreger (Author). I would avoid, for now, online resources as they tend to be heavily slanted.

That is a good place to start. If it is accurate, that she has BPD, you can't change her, you can only set appropriate limits.

One woman I know who is a therapist for people with BPD was sharing something that works in her sessions is not arguing. Give her a set amount of time to vent, validate her feelings, but not her actual experience. i.e. "mom, it must really be awful to feel this way" instead of "He is such a jerk, how could he do this to you?!". Once the venting is out, it might be easier to redirect her to more appropriate behaviors, like writing letters she *will not send* or even letting him go.

Your husband working with a therapist might be able to help him set up the proper boundaries and deal with the crazy better.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:09 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,725,695 times
She needs to be screened for dementia. Start with her family physician. She can be started on Aricept or equivalent which will slow things down for awhile.

Old 11-20-2014, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Has she always been like this? You are describing something that sounds like Borderline Personality Disorder. A good primer for dealing with this is a book (yes, me and the books again, lol I always have a book to recommend!) Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder by Paul Mason MS (Author), Randi Kreger (Author). I would avoid, for now, online resources as they tend to be heavily slanted.

That is a good place to start. If it is accurate, that she has BPD, you can't change her, you can only set appropriate limits.

One woman I know who is a therapist for people with BPD was sharing something that works in her sessions is not arguing. Give her a set amount of time to vent, validate her feelings, but not her actual experience. i.e. "mom, it must really be awful to feel this way" instead of "He is such a jerk, how could he do this to you?!". Once the venting is out, it might be easier to redirect her to more appropriate behaviors, like writing letters she *will not send* or even letting him go.

Your husband working with a therapist might be able to help him set up the proper boundaries and deal with the crazy better.

thank you. I believe she has been like this a long time. My SO is starting to work with a therapist as I think he needs to set the boundries better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology