Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 11:07 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times

Advertisements

I know that different people have a different sense of what is beautiful to them. But in addition to that,

a sense of "what is beautiful" changes ALL THE TIME even collectively.

Chubby women were accepted as beautiful in the black and white commercials of the old days and skinny ones is the norm for beauty in our days.

Fashion is the best proof that beauty is very fluid. I just now realized something fully. When I saw fashion shows, I usually see them advertizing some of weird looking ugly clothes. And I never understood why people like seeing that. I actually thought that people knew that the clothes were ugly, but that it was somehow fashionable to go with the weird. Some weird custom in the high society or something. It didn't occur to me that people were actually perceiving these as beautiful.

I mean of course I knew that people have different tastes. But I didn't realize that tastes and the perception can change SO FAST.

My realization came recently. I was looking at these ugly warm wool grandma like boots. And I thought: who in the world would wear these? It's too embarrassing even for grandmas to wear probably.

And then I got a shock of my life: I saw a woman that usually wears fashionable clothes wear them. And I thought: how could she do that and not be embarrassed?

Then I realized (at some point): oh, the sense of what is beautiful has changed in her brain. She is now perceiving this as beautiful.

Some people's brain adapts to collective thinking, to the "modern and new" fast and other people's brain does it very slowly.

So, mine is a slow one. I like old fashioned things because they still look good. But the new things look bad. (not all, I am just speaking in general)

It was interesting though to observe this change occurring within my own self.
So I know this looks good to me...But one day, finally my brain caught up to the (lets' say 90s style) and when I saw the style from 50s, I thought: hmm.... this dress used to look good to me and right now I am a bit confused. I think that logically it's still looking good, but my senses are telling me that for some uknown reason it doesn't look good anymore... Hmm..why not? It still has its beautiful shape that I used to like. And then I realized: oh yeah, this is considered old fashioned. So no matter how beuatiful the shape, the brain has the ability to change its perception. So mine was changing and it was interesting to see it happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2014, 11:13 AM

41 posts, read 51,768 times
I don't really understand it. You watch the early episodes of What Not to Wear, and Stacy tells people not to wear skinny jeans because they make you look bulbous, and years later she tells people to wear skinny jeans because they are slimming. What happened?

Old 11-28-2014, 11:19 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Very interesting post. So true. I have chucked a few things to Goodwill and thought to myself, "what was I thinking when I liked that clothing item??!"

Old 11-28-2014, 11:29 AM

41 posts, read 51,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
Very interesting post. So true. I have chucked a few things to Goodwill and thought to myself, "what was I thinking when I liked that clothing item??!"
Agreed, and then in ten years, you're like, "Aw man, I wish I kept that!"

Old 11-28-2014, 02:38 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,040,540 times
Well, she may not perceive the boots as beautiful, but she may have gotten to a point where she values warmth and comfort over style and simply doesn't care. When I'm slogging along in a snowstorm, I care more about not wrecking an ankle than I do if my legs look slender in 3 inch stiletto faux winter boots.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty2011 View Post
Well, she may not perceive the boots as beautiful, but she may have gotten to a point where she values warmth and comfort over style and simply doesn't care. When I'm slogging along in a snowstorm, I care more about not wrecking an ankle than I do if my legs look slender in 3 inch stiletto faux winter boots.
Fashionable people do not trade comfort for beauty. So that's why I mentioned that it was someone who is into fashion, who likes to dress well. (It would be very embarassing for them to step outside and not to be dressed well.) So if they wear these boots that must mean that they believe they are dressed well.

Old 11-29-2014, 07:04 AM

207 posts, read 226,662 times
Fasion is easy. If it makes you look professional and sexy buy it. Solid colours. White Red Pink. Light colours.... to show your curves. Its that easy. Black if you need to slim down.

Dont wear too much jewelry. Distracts.

Only wear it to direct attention to that body part.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:45 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,417,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I know that different people have a different sense of what is beautiful to them. But in addition to that,

a sense of "what is beautiful" changes ALL THE TIME even collectively.

Chubby women were accepted as beautiful in the black and white commercials of the old days and skinny ones is the norm for beauty in our days.

Fashion is the best proof that beauty is very fluid. I just now realized something fully. When I saw fashion shows, I usually see them advertizing some of weird looking ugly clothes. And I never understood why people like seeing that. I actually thought that people knew that the clothes were ugly, but that it was somehow fashionable to go with the weird. Some weird custom in the high society or something. It didn't occur to me that people were actually perceiving these as beautiful.

I mean of course I knew that people have different tastes. But I didn't realize that tastes and the perception can change SO FAST.

My realization came recently. I was looking at these ugly warm wool grandma like boots. And I thought: who in the world would wear these? It's too embarrassing even for grandmas to wear probably.

And then I got a shock of my life: I saw a woman that usually wears fashionable clothes wear them. And I thought: how could she do that and not be embarrassed?

Then I realized (at some point): oh, the sense of what is beautiful has changed in her brain. She is now perceiving this as beautiful.

Some people's brain adapts to collective thinking, to the "modern and new" fast and other people's brain does it very slowly.

So, mine is a slow one. I like old fashioned things because they still look good. But the new things look bad. (not all, I am just speaking in general)

It was interesting though to observe this change occurring within my own self.
So I know this looks good to me...But one day, finally my brain caught up to the (lets' say 90s style) and when I saw the style from 50s, I thought: hmm.... this dress used to look good to me and right now I am a bit confused. I think that logically it's still looking good, but my senses are telling me that for some uknown reason it doesn't look good anymore... Hmm..why not? It still has its beautiful shape that I used to like. And then I realized: oh yeah, this is considered old fashioned. So no matter how beuatiful the shape, the brain has the ability to change its perception. So mine was changing and it was interesting to see it happen.
IDK.. I'm still having trouble accepting "elf shoes" as a fashionable statement. Still looks pretty fug to me, no matter how a person dresses it.

Old 11-29-2014, 02:33 PM

2,492 posts, read 3,032,221 times
Are we talking about ugg boots?

Old 11-29-2014, 03:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,306,523 times
It's just like going to an Art Fair that displays all kinds of various styles. There are always some that look so ugly to me that they hurt my feelings, but there are people out there who WOULD like them.

As for fashion, I think some people will wear whatever is fashionable just for the sake of being fashionable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology