Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 02:32 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,559,267 times

Advertisements

Well,

As some of you may recall, a few months ago, after extensively complaining about persistent loneliness, a non-existant social life, trouble organizing lesson plans and activities, and trouble handling people during student teaching and work, I went to the psychological clinic on campus and was finally tested for Aspergers. I got the results of the test back yesterday; according to the student and professor who tested me it is "highly likely" that I have an ASD / Aspergers. I was given a list of resources that may be able to provide continuing support. The person who gave me my results said that it was "pretty much a diagnosis." I don't really know how to take the ambiguity of wording; was I diagnosed with it or not?

Anyway, I'm not sure how this is going to impact my teaching career, but it may explain why I don't do well on interviews and have a much easier time learning about a task versus actually applying what I learn. The fact that I went through a traditional state college student teaching program, which only provides additional support when a student goes to extensive lengths to prove he or she really needs it, is an added drawback. Too bad I'm set to graduate with a master's degree in only a few weeks.

What do you think I should do? Since I have a pretty clear indication of what is wrong now, should I perhaps request to do yet another semester of student teaching? Please bear in mind that I've been financing my education with student loans, and I'm anxious to find a job and start paying them off. Another semester of student teaching would mean that I would have to take out even more loans and decrease my chances of enrolling in an affordable payment plan.

Well, at least I might know what's wrong now.

Last edited by krmb; 11-21-2014 at 03:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 04:38 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,834,095 times
I don't think you have to call it "whats wrong with me", but think of it as a name to your struggles. And once you get it named, you can get support.

People on the spectrum have strengths (often gifts) and struggles, yours now has a name.

I guess if it were me, I would jump into they support services and see what they can offer. It might be worth it to take some more time student teaching so you can work on the struggles you have with a support team. But once you start working with them, they might guide you to go ahead and look for work.

But I think the most important thing to do next is get hooked up with a therapist and other support people and start focusing on compensating for your struggles.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:28 AM

26,635 posts, read 26,559,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
should I perhaps request to do yet another semester of student teaching? Please bear in mind that I've been financing my education with student loans, and I'm anxious to...
You probably don't need that stress right now.

I thought this was a fascinating article about a woman with Asperger's who wasn't diagnosed until she was an adult, and how she has made accommodations in her work place. (She's the "boss" in the article.)
Could Your Boss Have Asperger

Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM

14,376 posts, read 18,297,842 times
Just knowing you have something can make a huge difference. I've done very little medication or therapy for my ADD (which is fairly severe), but once I researched it, I could make changes in my life that helped it become easier.

Why would you delay graduating from your master's program?

I think you should invest in getting a formal diagnosis. Maybe contact an Asperger's support association to help find out what your resources are and how to go about taking advantage of them.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:20 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,394,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Just knowing you have something can make a huge difference. I've done very little medication or therapy for my ADD (which is fairly severe), but once I researched it, I could make changes in my life that helped it become easier.

Why would you delay graduating from your master's program?

I think you should invest in getting a formal diagnosis. Maybe contact an Asperger's support association to help find out what your resources are and how to go about taking advantage of them.
I totally agree. Different therapists will give you different diagnosis. I know, bc I was formally trained to diagnose under therapists also. Sometimes professionals will argue about who has what and what in group supervision- they are clueless at times- not considering cultural factors despite being trained in diversity. Yeah. The methodology of diagnosis/interpretation can be questionable, at best.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,792,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
I don't think you have to call it "whats wrong with me", but think of it as a name to your struggles. And once you get it named, you can get support.

People on the spectrum have strengths (often gifts) and struggles, yours now has a name.

I guess if it were me, I would jump into they support services and see what they can offer. It might be worth it to take some more time student teaching so you can work on the struggles you have with a support team. But once you start working with them, they might guide you to go ahead and look for work.

But I think the most important thing to do next is get hooked up with a therapist and other support people and start focusing on compensating for your struggles.
Also, having a diagnosis will help you decipher your strengths and weaknesses easier so that you can find a way to work with them.

Old 11-21-2014, 10:53 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,394,491 times
Kmb, from reading your posts online, you seem to be functioning normal. I don't personally know what your diagnosis is and it would be unfair to assume to know what you have from the limited information I gather..

A good therapist will consider your culture too. For instance, if you are Asian and you infrequently make eye contact, does that mean you have Asperger's? No. It's a cultural/behavioral aspect. We used to have arguments about this in my training program, and the degree of ignorance is astounding! Lack of comprehension in cultural differences made to conform a universal language like the DSM (which is sociopolitically influenced also, was absurd- not to mention being Gay in the past was considered "mental illness") could REALLY alter diagnosis.

If your issue is mostly behavioral, I say work on listening skills and empathy. But, I don't want to give you that advice either. It's like saying I'm the expert and know what you should do. I have good faith that you know what you to do. You are the expert of your own life.

From reading what you've posted here, sounds like you have a lot of issues surrounding low self-esteem despite being a fighter (you're in grad school). You've mentioned in the past how you have certain fear surrounding your feelings of inadequacy.

From how I see it, sounds like you need more peer support and encouragement. You're hard on yourself. Perhaps your parents' successful nature also made you feel down on yourself, because parents who are usually great entrepreneur's who are business minded sometimes lack the emotional aspect in instilling self-esteem in their kids. It's not to say all parents who are successful are like this. Inherent in their competitive nature, some are more harsh than others.

Some strengths I see in you are: perseverance, you seem very wise and observant, hard-working, conscientious, smart, and can think for yourself (despite not taking your elder friends' advice) you do have a mind of your own.. Give yourself some credit!

Old 11-21-2014, 03:29 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,559,267 times
I'm interested in maybe getting a second opinion, but, unless I get tested somewhere that uses a sliding scale based on income, I will probably not be able to afford to be tested by an actual doctor. Plus, even though I think the person testing me made a few careless errors, her overall assessment of my mental state and the problems I've been facing seem accurate. I may have something different than an ASD, though. I'm a little worried. I took that test when I wasn't feeling my best, and I scored low on a lot of the items, except the parts that might be an indication of an ASD. I'm kind of wondering if the way I felt that day didn't skew my results to the point that the data is not reliable. I know I have had issues relating to people, though, issues that everyone else doesn't seem to have.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:33 PM

4,286 posts, read 4,726,603 times
Quote:
I'm interested in maybe getting a second opinion, but, unless I get tested somewhere that uses a sliding scale based on income, I will probably not be able to afford to be tested by an actual doctor. Plus, even though I think the person testing me made a few careless errors, her overall assessment of my mental state and the problems I've been facing seem accurate. I may have something different than an ASD, though. I'm a little worried. I took that test when I wasn't feeling my best, and I scored low on a lot of the items, except the parts that might be an indication of an ASD. I'm kind of wondering if the way I felt that day didn't skew my results to the point that the data is not reliable. I know I have had issues relating to people, though, issues that everyone else doesn't seem to have.
I absolutely would investigate how you can get a formal diagnosis/second opinion on your income.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:04 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,834,095 times
Quote:
My advice is to leave the diagnosing alone. It can change from provider to provider. At least with ASD, you are able to get accommodations if you do end up needing them. Find a therapist. They wont take the dx as the law of the land and will work with you based on your current situation and needs. They may change the dx in time, or tell you they agree. Or neither. Their hob is to help you cope...especially with your bad days.

The thing is, there is no solid blood test, xray, or mri that diagnoses anything in the mental health realm. Its always a guess, and a slanted guess based on the orientation of the tester.

An example:
I know a mom who has a daughter who is very emotional, struggles with reading, and is highly needy. She has had her tested many times and I have been hearing about it step by step. If i recall, these (in approximate order) are the diagnoses she has been given:

ADHD, Inattentive type, low IQ
Normal to higher IQ, language delay
Attachment disorder
ADHD combined type with mood disorder and a math disability
Borderline retarded
Normal IQ, dyslexia, ADHD combined
ADHD, mood disorder, sensory processing disorder
ADHD, low IQ, mood disorder
Adjustment disorder (mostly this one said the mom was sucking at mothering)

Seriously. Thank god the mom stopped the insanity and is focusing on issues instead of finding "the answer". Some of them are super funny, the math disability is funny because she is awesome at math. I think she mostly has anxiety, but I am no doctor so I wont pipe up with my thoughts to her mom. But...

as you can see, chasing a diagnosis isnt really useful. I experienced the same thing with my son. Often it doesn't matter at the end of the day as long as you are getting the help you need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology