Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,935,860 times

Advertisements

You didn't read zentropa ' post which indicates the narcissist is actually self loathing and can't stand the sight of himself in the mirror. Most Narcissists mask this with extreme self-loving behavior, but deep down we all share self-loathing.

I have plenty of arrogance, but I am smart enough to know that I am totally unlikable and hence would not be accepted socially anywhere. Even online I have experienced only hatred and rejection from others. I have an abrasive, arrogant, awkward, and unsocial personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,343,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
You didn't read zentropa ' post which indicates the narcissist is actually self loathing and can't stand the sight of himself in the mirror. Most Narcissists mask this with extreme self-loving behavior, but deep down we all share self-loathing.

I have plenty of arrogance, but I am smart enough to know that I am totally unlikable and hence would not be accepted socially anywhere. Even online I have experienced only hatred and rejection from others. I have an abrasive, arrogant, awkward, and unsocial personality.
You have an abrasive, arrogant, awkward, and unsocial personality ?

What caused this ?

Old 11-24-2014, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
You have an abrasive, arrogant, awkward, and unsocial personality ?

What caused this ?

Wish I knew. But it's who I am.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:29 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:

I was surprised by that part of her post. I haven't heard that before, and found it hard to believe. But I think she works in the psychology field, or health, or something, so she would know. It gave me something to think about.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Wish I knew. But it's who I am.
Dav, you've been in therapy. For all that time spent in therapy, the root of your issues wasn't explored?

Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Dav, you've been in therapy. For all that time spent in therapy, the root of your issues wasn't explored?
Not really. Obviously it had something to do with how I was raised but that's as much as has been uncovered.

Old 11-26-2014, 06:49 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,907,004 times
Sounds like the difference between, dark chocolate, milk chocolate and milk chocolate. Not much different. All potentially dangerous people who should be avoided.

Old 11-26-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Not really. Obviously it had something to do with how I was raised but that's as much as has been uncovered.
You need to find a therapist who specializes in getting into that deep stuff.

Old 11-27-2014, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You need to find a therapist who specializes in getting into that deep stuff.

He claims he can do hypnotherapy but I'm skeptical of that. Also I'm skeptical that he can do it. Also why go digging deep for something that maybe ought to stay buried?

Old 11-27-2014, 06:07 AM

1,706 posts, read 3,307,180 times
Some of this material does not have to enter diagnostically, although such a perspective can offer clarity. If all persons under one of these three descriptions was simply a full disorder, there would be more disordered persons. But there can be traces of the same (sub-threshold), making for exciting interactions over the Thanksgiving table.
Narcissist: someone with a level of self importance; you may feel diminished in their presence, you give them the attention and glamor and nothing more need come of it. At the end of the spectrum include rage and self-loathing, and you got a potent cocktail.
Sociopath: someone who doesn't play by the same rules as all others - this can be as simple as thinking outside the box, although a true sociopath (may) have an absence of conscience and engage in their schemes to diminish others. While controversial, some persons in authority or those who uphold the tenets of the law have to engage in some sociopathy to get the best of the bad. In the simplest fashion, I'd rather have a police officer speed and blow through a number of red lights to get to an active criminal scene than take their time by following all the rules and laws and let the bad guys get away.
Psychopath: I'm sorry, but Hare has done extensive work on this topic, and the easiest way to describe this is the highly narcissistic sociopath. This sets the Ted Bundy's and the Andrew Cunanan's on a separate path from the common criminal. I don't think there is such a thing as psychopath without criminality and they would probably enjoy the notoriety anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology