Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 06:06 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,880,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't see any difference for being a devoted Penn State fan, wearing the paraphrenalia, etc. then in being a devoted Philadelphia Eagles fan is (like me, lol) I wear Eagles shirts, I have Eagles earrings, a scarf, etc. If I think about it, it makes more sense to be devoted to a team you actually have some connection to, lol.
But do you say you love Philadelphia, or that you love the Eagles? Why wouldn't Penn State's football fans say they love the Nittany Lions, but to say they love Penn State, is, or should be, about the school, not the team. Right? (What the heck is "Nittany" in there for anyway?)
I mean, I'm sure your earrings and scarf are something with the Eagles, not images of the Liberty Bell or Independence Hall or the Philly skyline. So you're an Eagles fan, but you might not be in love with the city itself. I realize that some of these Penn State (and other college) freaks are all about the sporting teams, but some, surely, are crazy about the school itself, aren't they? And if so, why?
Maybe not, maybe it is just all sports. I don't know. That's why I posted this to kick it around a little.

Again, I'm like from another planet when it comes to sports. I can understand if a person is from a city or the surrounding area being a fan of that city's team, or being a fan of a college if they are currently attending that college. But why be a fan of a school you never attended, a school you may have attended for a few years many years ago, or of a professional team in a city you are not connected to?

The multi-generational thing: I hadn't thought of that. I'm the first one in my family to get a degree. I guess that would make a difference, but I can't see it causing me to alter my wardrobe or decorate my car with stickers.

When I call them freaks and psychos, it's in jest; I'm not saying they are actually "dysfunctional." However, I do see some "dysfunction" in 40-something-year-olds painting their faces and bare chests, and yelling at college football games on while pounding beers. And the cult-like behavior is indeed a little dysfunctional. Sure, send some money to your school, but you can't keep living like it's the center of your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 06:38 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,445,730 times
My 2 cents. To some it is a religion. It has all the aspects of it. I belong to my 'tribe', my tribe is 'the best' ; sort of that self validation thing going on: they have their 'hymns' - school songs, their sacraments - school traditions; their uniforms / logos - et. al. For others, it may be the closest experience they had in formative years of a quasi 'family' experience. Everything is seen through that lens of when they didn't have much cares and were living a fun life.

The most virulent of this sort I've encountered are usually seeking that 'family/ tribe/identity' alignment; "I'm a Buckeye" live or die etc.... For some not as avid, I think it is more an escape let go and to feel young again, to relive glory days or their times of most enjoyment, so they identify with said university.

Much of the sports rivalry part of it is most often understood to be in good fun and is where you witness this the most. Obviously there are those who take this way to far. Much like the sycophant sports 'fanatic' for whom it gives them an excuse to act like juvenile idiots. The 'emotionally stunted' who build a 'shrine' to their alma mater's sports teams, or need to feel a psyche boost be affiliating themselves with a 'winner' i.e. the front runner mindset in sports fans. Some times these people do not have to be alma mater. They simply want to be associated with perceived excellence (or status) in their mind.

For others, it may be strong passion for an academic universe that was opened to them with relationships and lifetime friends when in their youth. The ability to share their intimate dreams and ambitions as well as reflect on those professors /academics who truly made a difference in helping them become something they aspired too.

At its root, I think it gets to an individuals sense of self. Some never feel comfortable identifying as an individual, they need their peer cohorts to enable a stronger sense of self. It is analogous to how some youth become enraptured with a musical group, sports team, athlete, (pick your status celebrity or entity of choice) to live vicariously through because at some time they realized they've peaked (in a sense) and rather than live quiet lives of desperation, they choose to be identified with whatever entity is seen as popular/successful (or not) in their generational culture. It is an inability often times to stand on their own or in some instance think for themselves.

As prior comment mentioned humans tend toward herding (and most everything about our society encourages it at the subliminal level). As for alma mater, I can see some identity with places one has developed relationships with either classmates / faculty for lifelong learning / experiences. Or the simple loyalty of support as an alumni if you were awarded scholarship.

Personally, I always looked at it as a means to an end but then I paid for my undergrad and one of my masters out of my own money. There was a stage while I attended when I'd wear paraphernalia, but that ended when those shirts / sweatshirts got disposed of. Never was into 'school' colors / spirit but I understand the lure of it.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:55 PM

478 posts, read 808,896 times
I think it depends on the experience you had and how much it shaped you. College for me was forgettable. I never took my diploma out of the envelope they mailed it to me in, and don't talk about college unless asked. Did the person fit in, find a group of friends they meshed with? Did the person play sports (intramural or intercollegiate)? Why did they choose the college in the first place (particular program/location/family legacy etc or it was just the cheapest option available). All of these things play a role I think.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:59 PM

701 posts, read 1,096,505 times
I don't watch sports at all, except for a couple that no one cares about. Anyway, I don't watch football, basketball, or baseball, and both schools I finished degrees from were NCAA Division 3 anyway, where sports don't matter a whole lot. I do like to wear stuff identifying myself as an alumnus from both universities, though. I am now thousands of miles away from both of them. If I were in the same neighborhood, I'm not sure I'd bother. One reason is that, at least for the undergrad degree, I really worked my butt off to finish it. It nearly killed me. Okay, I'm exaggerating a tiny bit. But I am not exaggerating when I say that it is the hardest thing I have ever done. I can only hope it's the hardest thing I'll ever do. My master's degree was, by comparison, a complete cakewalk, but it was from a university that's considered in the same tier as the first one. While finishing my master's degree was not difficult in terms of the curriculum, it was difficult in that I worked full-time while I was finishing it. So, while I'm perhaps less proud of the master's degree, I'm still proud of it. I describe both schools as "Ivy League Reject Schools," but really, I'm kind of proud of finishing degrees from them. And so I do on a regular basis wear T shirts, sweat shirts and hats with those university names on them.

When I see a sticker or a T shirt worn by someone else from either school, it is a conversation starter, and nothing else. I guess that's reason enough for me. I guess another reason is specifically because it has absolutely, positively nothing to do with sports.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:52 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,033,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hmm, that brings me to sports. I am not a sports fan, and never was. Could that be it?
You answered your own question. Sports, especially football are lifetime pursuits as an athlete or as a fan. One of the elements of college football that makes it so popular are the traditions and ceremony that go into each game. Then there is the race to the polls where you are always rooting for your team to be ranked #1.

Beyond that, most of us give a considerable amount of money to our old colleges and universities. we are proud of what they are, and proud of what they will be. By donating money I am helping to build buildings, send less fortunate to school and improving our public perception in general, which brings the best and smartest kids.

There are some very active alumni associations offering many social activities and discounts on local business, as well as group insurance.

College logo'd clothing is popular at any age, and again shows you are affiliated with this great organization. This helps when building your network to help you build your career too. That college network will ALWAYS be there for you if you need a job 20 or 30 years after you graduated.

You are missing an opportunity to be part of a great group of people with something in common. Unless of course, you went to a 4th tier school or community college.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
When I call them freaks and psychos, it's in jest; I'm not saying they are actually "dysfunctional." However, I do see some "dysfunction" in 40-something-year-olds painting their faces and bare chests, and yelling at college football games on while pounding beers. And the cult-like behavior is indeed a little dysfunctional. Sure, send some money to your school, but you can't keep living like it's the center of your life.
I think you just don't get it. You can do all of that and still not have the school be the center of your life. For football its 4 hours a week for 12 weeks or so, hardly the center of much. Honestly, you sound kind of tense. Might be good to let loose a bit more and have some fun with new things.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:02 AM

3,657 posts, read 3,284,048 times
People who have given over themselves to be sports fans have surrendered an important part of their personality to something which is a one way street. Nothing flows back in their direction. What do they get for the hours spent there worrying about someone tossing a ball around who couldn't care less about them. They surrendered their identity in terms of speaking of things as "we", when there is no "we". There is you and there is the team. That's it. You are not part of the team. The language used to describe things really reveals this. "We won last night!". Really, are you in the team? No. Are you in management of the team? No. I see, then you purchased a ticket, that makes you a customer not part of the organization. How can you take credit for an activity that you had zero to do with?

Let's examine this further. There is a top orchestra, just like a team, the New York Philharmonic. You purchase a ticket to watch them perform live and their CDs. You send them additional money to support them because it's the arts. You never hear someone who attended a New York Philharmonic concert use the language to express their pleasure in the event as "We played great tonight! We sounded so good!". Really, are you a musician in the orchestra? No. Are you in management for the orchestra? No. You purchased a ticket and give additional money to them, that makes you a patron of the arts, but you have no ownership in the organization to speak on the level of those who actually work in it and perform in it.

There are people that must attach themselves to something else, because without it they have a huge missing part within themselves. It starts young a learned unproductive behavior projecting this external achieve on to others as your own. Next time your neighbor or friend gets a promotion, try saying "Hey, we got a raise, how much did we get?" and then closely examine their facial expressions, because you took credit for something you didn't do.

What does sports have to do with those obsessed with their alma matter, everything, it's part of the same thing. They have associated themselves with something they had nothing to do with. To the college you paid tuition and then they come back and ask you for more money. But you had nothing to do with building the faculty there, the hiring and firing of professors, the design of the school's mission, none of those things, you simply attended just like attending a sporting events. The colleges know this and they encourage it, because once you have been given this false sense of pride and ownership bestowed on you, they know they have you for life to continue to give them money so you can claim victory at every triumph no matter how minor it is.

Next time you have a power outage in your neighbor, and it comes back on, tell your neighbors "I got the power back on!" and expect a strange look and a list of questions as to how you can claim credit for something you had nothing to do with.

Old 11-25-2014, 07:56 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,645,222 times
I don't even think about it -- I just went to college and partially through graduate school (different schools) to get the education I needed and left. I never got into the places themselves, what they stood for, or their sports. I just went to get what I needed and left. It has nothing to do with my identity. I don't understand people who still hang on to this kind of thing, but if it makes them happy, it's not up to me to "understand!"

Old 11-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
You answered your own question. Sports, especially football are lifetime pursuits as an athlete or as a fan. One of the elements of college football that makes it so popular are the traditions and ceremony that go into each game. Then there is the race to the polls where you are always rooting for your team to be ranked #1.
My college had sports team, but I would never think of them as "my" team. See the next poster after you for a good discussion of this.

Beyond that, most of us give a considerable amount of money to our old colleges and universities. we are proud of what they are, and proud of what they will be. By donating money I am helping to build buildings, send less fortunate to school and improving our public perception in general, which brings the best and smartest kids.
I don't understand why the public's perception of a school I attended years ago would even matter to me. I enjoyed my college years, but I've moved on.

There are some very active alumni associations offering many social activities and discounts on local business, as well as group insurance.

College logo'd clothing is popular at any age, and again shows you are affiliated with this great organization. This helps when building your network to help you build your career too. That college network will ALWAYS be there for you if you need a job 20 or 30 years after you graduated.
"Networking" is overrated in many fields, but that's for another thread. Still if I connect with someone in my field (mental health) I would want them to respect me for my recent accomplishments and merits, not just like me because we may have attended the same college 20-25 years ago.

You are missing an opportunity to be part of a great group of people with something in common. Unless of course, you went to a 4th tier school or community college.

I did not go to a community college. I went to a well respected state college for undergrad (but I have no clue what division they were in with regard to sports) and a very prestigious, very old and well known graduate school.

I think you just don't get it. Yes!
You can do all of that and still not have the school be the center of your life. For football its 4 hours a week for 12 weeks or so, hardly the center of much. Honestly, you sound kind of tense.
Not sure where that came from--have you read any of my posts? (not that I would expect you to). Might be good to let loose a bit more and have some fun with new things.
No, I don't think you get it. I'm not talking about people who only talk about their school for 4 hours a week for 12 weeks during football season. It's the people who have graduated from a school long, long ago, and who still talk about it all the time and display its logo everywhere. With all due respect, you sound like one of the people I'm talking about.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:52 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,033,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
People who have given over themselves to be sports fans have surrendered an important part of their personality to something which is a one way street. Nothing flows back in their direction. What do they get for the hours spent there worrying about someone tossing a ball around who couldn't care less about them. They surrendered their identity in terms of speaking of things as "we", when there is no "we". There is you and there is the team. That's it. You are not part of the team. The language used to describe things really reveals this. "We won last night!". Really, are you in the team? No. Are you in management of the team? No. I see, then you purchased a ticket, that makes you a customer not part of the organization. How can you take credit for an activity that you had zero to do with?
True enough in professional sports. But in college I would disagree. "We" were all Spartans, Bobcats, Sooners, Gators etc. because we attended the school. You rally around the mascot and are all unified as one. So if the Sun Devils win, "we" won because I am a Sun Devil. Its that inclusion and loyalty that makes people associate with their school forever. And i do get something back, at least in BCS football. I get bragging rights. Right or wrong, the hunt for a national champion each year is pervasive in our culture. From work pools to Saturday tailgating to wearing college logo'd clothing, it is everywhere. It is nearly impossible to escape. Lastly I would add that being a good fan to pack "The Big House" every home game is an activity that effects the game. Just ask any player who has had to go against Michigan at home if the crowd made it very difficult to play. Ask if anyone has ever blown a play because they couldn't hear it due to the noise. As an attendee, my activity did have something to to with the game. yes its small, but its not zero. Crowds can effect the game, albeit in subtle ways.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
True enough in professional sports. But in college I would disagree. "We" were all Spartans, Bobcats, Sooners, Gators etc. because we attended the school. You rally around the mascot and are all unified as one. So if the Sun Devils win, "we" won because I am a Sun Devil. Its that inclusion and loyalty that makes people associate with their school forever. And i do get something back, at least in BCS football. I get bragging rights. Right or wrong, the hunt for a national champion each year is pervasive in our culture. From work pools to Saturday tailgating to wearing college logo'd clothing, it is everywhere. It is nearly impossible to escape. Lastly I would add that being a good fan to pack "The Big House" every home game is an activity that effects the game. Just ask any player who has had to go against Michigan at home if the crowd made it very difficult to play. Ask if anyone has ever blown a play because they couldn't hear it due to the noise. As an attendee, my activity did have something to to with the game. yes its small, but its not zero. Crowds can effect the game, albeit in subtle ways.

"All unified as one" is just a strange concept to me. You sound like that's a good thing. Just the thought of it feels creepy to me.

"Bragging rights": but how or why can you brag about what other people did? the football players won a game. You (I presume) were not on the field. The players and coach may have "bragging rights" but it's just strange to think that you have the "right" to brag about something you did not do. Sure you might have yelled and cheered, or painted your bare chest and face with team colors, or even attended tailgate parties to guzzle beer, but you did not play the game. Brag about the yelling and beer guzzling, fine, but why brag about what the players accomplished?

"Nearly impossible to escape": Um, no, it's been pretty easy for me. I've "escaped" any involvement with this stuff, with no difficulty. I'm certainly not unique.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology