Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:54 PM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times

Advertisements

I'm a mixed bag.

I have this fascination with water pipes, plumbing and paleontology/geology, but I abhor car related stuff (mechanics), most sports (besides soccer and swimming), fashion, cooking, washing dishes, drinking and smoking.

I'm a gay male and I'm sure most of us are in a 'grey' area.

Last edited by Ethereal; 11-30-2014 at 07:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2014, 09:03 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,362,447 times
One of my best buddies is a former Marine who cannot fix a car, has no interest in guns, hunting or whatever. He does love football though---in addition to opera.

Go ahead. Suggest to him that he isn't manly. I'll go stand over there. Waaaay over there.

EDITED TO INCLUDE:
I know another male former Marine who used to love getting facials at spas and adored shopping. He was happily metrosexual. (And has incredible skin for his age.)

Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
One of my best buddies is a former Marine who cannot fix a car, has no interest in guns, hunting or whatever. He does love football though---in addition to opera.

Go ahead. Suggest to him that he isn't manly. I'll go stand over there. Waaaay over there.

EDITED TO INCLUDE:
I know another male former Marine who used to love getting facials at spas and adored shopping. He was happily metrosexual. (And has incredible skin for his age.)
Most military guys, especially Marines, at least marginally qualify as metrosexual.

Old 11-30-2014, 09:23 PM

2,144 posts, read 1,877,553 times
My 16 year old son sews stuffed "dolls" by hand. They're most horror movie and cartoon characters and the like, so no flower fairies, which would probably set some people off a bit more. I've heard comments about it... how it's because he grew up without a father and how it probably means he'll "end up gay." My son also draws and writes cartoons, makes awesome stop motion animation, carves wood and fixes stuff around the house and is completely straight, not that it would matter to me.

So glad traditional gender roles are slipping away. Men should be able to do what interests them, as should women.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:52 PM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
I can relate. I've been bullied all of my life for not being manly enough, and labeled as "gay", even though I am straight (and I am married to a woman). If I defend myself and say that I am not gay, I then get labeled as homophobic for somehow implying that being gay is bad (which is not my intention). At my job, I basically have to hide everything about myself fro my coworkers. When they ask about my weekends, I just give vague answers. They try to get answers out of me but I don't take the bait. Some of my superiors have even mentioned certain artists that employees at this company are "not allowed to listen to". All people that I like, unfortunately. It's frustrating.

Old 11-30-2014, 10:53 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsmith12 View Post
While I like doing certain "manly" things -- like play and watch sports, shoot pool, and so forth -- there are others that simply don't interest me like they do my friends, including:

- Drinking beer (don't drink at all)
- Assembling/fixing stuff around the house
- Fixing cars
- Going to shooting ranges
- Hunting

Society seems to feel that if you're male and not doing this stuff, you simply aren't a "real man." But I think that's all hogwash.

Do you agree society puts pressure on men to be very masculine?
I think there are all types and society has little to do with it. I think perhaps what brought this up was your not liking it ;nothing to do with them; they have decided.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:01 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
While I like doing certain "manly" things -- like play and watch sports, shoot pool, and so forth -- there are others that simply don't interest me like they do my friends, including:

- Fixing cars
- Hunting

Society seems to feel that if you're male and not doing this stuff, you simply aren't a "real man." But I think that's all hogwash.

What society is that? Most guys don't know how to fix cars, and don't go hunting or to shooting ranges. Where do you live, where this stuff is expected? Maybe you should relocate.

Old 11-30-2014, 11:07 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:

- Fixing cars
- Hunting

Yes, and I think it's stupid.

I've always dug guys who aren't into football, dislike bars/clubs, and reads philosophy.. a little philanthopic in his one ways... my gosh are those guys sthexay!!

Old 11-30-2014, 11:10 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,412,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What society is that? Most guys don't know how to fix cars, and don't go hunting or to shooting ranges. Where do you live, where this stuff is expected? Maybe you should relocate.
...perhaps it's a "groupie thing" (I know lotsa people who love to post shooting range pictures on Facebook and go on their "foodie" expeditions here in SoCal).. photos of drinking at the bar.. at a concert holding a random hot stranger.. it's like a generic Rx for being "a man's Man."

Kinda showy and braggadocio thing to do: post your face book shooting range bang bang pictures, and then in another photo eating a big juice piece of kabob at the local "food truck meet." (all on an i-phone). You'll see hipsters who claim not to be hipsters do this too. It's so cool to be a hipstah! Or jock. Or whatever whatevah whatevah label someone wants to beeeh.. in the magical world of Disneyland.

Old 12-01-2014, 05:07 AM

11,362 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat949 View Post
Yes, and I think it's stupid.

I've always dug guys who aren't into football, dislike bars/clubs, and reads philosophy.. a little philanthopic in his one ways... my gosh are those guys sthexay!!
I forgot to mention that. I hate American football yet it is deemed I'm less than a man to some for that opinion. I think it's a dumb and too violent of a sport.

The only time I ever go to a club is sometimes I like to go out for an evening of live music which is my favorite thing to go out and do.
Even when I was younger I was never into the bar scene. Alcohol is not my thing and I do not like to be around drunks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology