Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 01:48 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,232,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keim View Post
I don't like telephone unless I know the person well or need to hear vocal tone, etc. Much prefer email for casual/shallow conversations.
Heavy telephones have been my career for over 25 years, so I despise them once I leave the building for the day. I make phone calls only when I have to, and rarely call anyone just to chat. And it doesn't bother me in the least to let the phones ring into voice or answering machine (although it is much easier for me to screen them on the land-line's answering machine).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,352,315 times
I do HAVE a facebook account, but I use it entirely to keep up on what my friends and family are doing. I don't think I've made a post on it for a couple of years now, and my one photo I have is from high school (my 20 year reunion is coming up pretty soon, so that tells you something about how much I like photographs, too).

I only even log in to catch up every couple of weeks.

I am most definitely an introvert.

Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 PM

3,743 posts, read 5,799,120 times
I am on FB mostly to keep up with gossip and info on others. I don't post that much and try not to be controversial when I do post. I am a little right of center politically but I don't like seeing political stuff on EITHER side. I do not want to hear about politics or religion!! I don't want to get involved in that. I also am on FB for professional reasons and my past time interests. There are groups that interest me. What is really turning me off of FB is the adds and the posts that are in my stream are pushing stuff on me. I also get turned off by "friends " that vomit everything they are doing and where they are going, taking pics of what they are eating! Complaining about their spouse!!! I really don't care!

Old 12-02-2014, 02:07 PM

2,204 posts, read 2,294,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
I have Facebook, and it's nice to say hi to people who are far away like my husband's family in England for instance. I post on occasion, I'm very friendly and upbeat when I do, but rarely get personal. I have my husband and my best friends in real life for that.

When I do check out the Facebook, I tend to take a look, scroll maybe once real quick then I'm done. I tire of it very quickly.

There are a few friends that post constantly. Some are trivial, some post pictures of every move their kid makes, some are so vague I have no idea what the heck they're talking about and some want to engage with their many "friends" on philosophical and/or political issues. Although instead of a discussion, I find them to be more of the "soapbox" variety of posts.

I also have every privacy thing turned on that's available. I freaked out when someone "tagged" me in a photo once and I found my mug was passed on to my FB "friends" like a bad cold. It was an ok picture, but it felt like it wan an invasion of my privacy. If I have lunch with a friend in real life, and she shares it with her friends, whatever. But I don't need her taking it upon herself to share my business with my friends and acquaintances. Not to mention why the hell would they care? My hubby fixed it for me to approve ALL "tags", and there they still sit in purgatory! Ha ha!

So... although I'm a friendly person in general, I fall into the "introverted" personality thing.

My son who is very introverted has no interest in FB, has an account, but never goes on it and says he couldn't anyway cause he forgot his password. Couldn't be bothered.

Then there's the wife of a dear friend who claims and even "brags" about being an introvert, yet has over 500 FB "friends", (because of a recent family reunion, I'm now up to 70 and I'm overwhelmed! Lol!). She's also a member of numerous groups, posts constantly asking for advice about everything and seeks sympathy for every insecure feeling she's experiencing. Her posts are exhausting to me, but if that's what makes her happy, that's great, I just don't relate to the need for constant FB stimulation even if you're not actually conversing in real life.

So I'm curious to hear from introverts... (and extroverts feel free to chime in!) ... do you Facebook? Do you enjoy it? Are you open, and let people tag you all over the place? Do you post every day? Several times a day? Pictures of food and a selfie wherever you go?

BTW, I enjoy C-D forums more, because I can "choose" the subject matter, and let's face it, (no pun intended) there's a certain amount of freedom in anonymity as long as it's civil. (Unlike Youtube comments that can be abominable! ) Not to mention, I've found the members here to be pretty darn interesting, if not entertaining at the very least.

Looking forward to replies, hoping you introverts are up to it.
I am an introverted person overall, but I do have a semi-extroverted side at times, so I don't think I'm a die-hard introvert.
Regarding Facebook -- I rarely post anything on my page, and I get annoyed at all my Facebook friends who seemingly fall into the 'everything I do or experience needs to be chronicled' brigade and Constantly update their pages with some of the most trivial, unimportant information. I can see sharing a family reunion photo, or a wedding photo, or a pic of a beautiful sunset that you glimpsed over your hotel in Hawaii, etc, but not the everyday stuff. What you made for dinner, or another pic of your cute puppy, or another shot of you shirtless exposing your six-pack abs, or another selfie -- I mean come on! Facebook is great for narcissists; it gives them an outlet to show off and gain attention. And then you have the Facebook philosophers and self-help gurus who love to copy and paste onto their timelines some very deep, sage-like quotation from some ancient philosopher telling people how to love, how to live, what to be thankful for, etc. And then the political people who love to argue or debate the latest political or socio-economic issue with their followers.
These folks love it when someone disagrees with their take on a particular subject, too.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:17 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,118,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
Regarding Facebook -- I rarely post anything on my page, and I get annoyed at all my Facebook friends who seemingly fall into the 'everything I do or experience needs to be chronicled' brigade and Constantly update their pages with some of the most trivial, unimportant information. I can see sharing a family reunion photo, or a wedding photo, or a pic of a beautiful sunset that you glimpsed over your hotel in Hawaii, etc, but not the everyday stuff. What you made for dinner, or another pic of your cute puppy, or another shot of you shirtless exposing your six-pack abs, or another selfie -- I mean come on! Facebook is great for narcissists; it gives them an outlet to show off and gain attention. And then you have the Facebook philosophers and self-help gurus who love to copy and paste onto their timelines some very deep, sage-like quotation from some ancient philosopher telling people how to love, how to live, what to be thankful for, etc. And then the political people who love to argue or debate the latest political or socio-economic issue with their followers.
These folks love it when someone disagrees with their take on a particular subject, too.
Cheers to all of the above.

I think I am somewhere in the middle of introverted and extroverted, maybe leaning a little more toward introversion. I have a Facebook account, but only because some family members got upset when I deleted my account. I hardly ever go on there. I got bored with it fairly quickly.

I am not sure whether it has anything to do with introversion or extraversion because FB does not seem like real interaction to me. It is nothing like talking on the phone, or in person, or even texting. I stopped going on there because once I wade through all the selfies, pictures of food (seriously?) and other cliches and drivel I was left with very little that was useful. Once in a while someone posts a joke that is actually funny, or I find out someone had a baby, but those are so few and far between, it is not worth slogging through all the rest.

I really don't need anyone telling me who to vote for, what to think, or that God is good. It just gets annoying.

Old 12-02-2014, 02:42 PM

2,211 posts, read 2,909,257 times
Total introvert here!

While I do enjoy hanging out with some close friends occasionally I would rather be at home with my husband and my animals (and be with my adult children when they are available). So facebook is kind of nice because I can scroll quickly on a daily basis and get a quick update on what is going on around me. I rarely post though myself. And as for other forms of social media or communication....... I HATE the phone, HATE texting (but prefer it over the phone), don't do twitter or any other of those apps. Would much prefer emails because I can do it when I feel like it.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:14 PM

3,274 posts, read 2,976,685 times
I am quite introverted and I hate FB, can't see why people like it at all. Even the pages bother me, they are so busy I feel like my eyes don't know where to land.

When I look up a business and find it has a Facebook page instead of a website, it turns me off immediately and I go find a business that has the sense to create an actual website. I don't know how people can stand to spend five minutes on Facebook, let alone hours as some people must. My sister told me a week ago to go look at a photo she put up on her page, and I have yet to do so.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:39 PM

575 posts, read 1,459,782 times
I'm an introvert (seems introverts are a hot topic recently) and so is my husband. We deactivated our profiles in March and oh my gosh... Both of our family's were extremely mad at us over it since that's how they want pictures of our kid and want to know what's going on. Apparently none of them have ever heard of a cell phone or email.

Begrudgingly, I reactivated my profile this past Summer. I honestly didn't want to because the majority of things people post on FB annoy the crap out of me and while I may be an introvert, I have a hard time keeping my mouth shut and just moving along when I see something stupid (the best one was when I had to explain to someone that you can't put Christmas lights in a baby crib - yes, seriously).

I do post maybe once per day - sometimes more - but if you actually go through and look at my posts, 75% of them are pictures or status updates about my kid and the other 25% are mostly video game or news related. I don't post private things. I have about 60 friends and all of them are categorized into Close friends (and family), friends, and acquaintances so I can limit who can see what. My profile is also entirely private. There's a way to view your profile as someone who isn't on your friends list and the only thing people can see about me without friending me is my profile cover and picture, the city I live in (which is a very large city), that I'm married, I'm a libertarian, and I'm a Buddhist.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:46 PM

2,278 posts, read 1,420,647 times
Over the years I've opened two dummy Facebook pages solely for playing jokes on people that I know. That was it. They're still floating around out there abandoned.

I've never properly experienced Facebook firsthand, but I get enough of it through others to know it would annoy the crap out of me. At Thanksgiving I was sitting on the couch next to my sister who was looking at her Facebook feed and one of her friends had posted a photo of just her cup from Whataburger (it's a fast food place). I asked her why someone would do that and she just laughed. And I don't know how many times I hear, "I saw on Facebook ..." followed by a rant of some sort. It just seems like a lot of unnecessary drama and attention craving.

I've joined other social media sites after people asked me to, but got bored after a couple of days and abandoned those as well.

I'm on the introverted side.

Old 12-02-2014, 04:18 PM

575 posts, read 1,459,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmie View Post
Going on FB started putting me in a bad mood, and I really can't put my finger on why. For whatever reason, I get anxious when I log on.
I saw this as I was reading through previous replies and it's spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology