Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2014, 03:29 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,105,517 times

Advertisements

I would consider myself somewhat introverted and irritable at various times.
But I do at the same time have many contacts on Facebook.
However, they're all from the only social event I physically go to and those are non-competitive bicycle rides/cruises.
I see a stranger on a bicycle and I feel a little more comfortable opening up to them, simply due to that.

But Facebook and texting as a whole, I feel the only other reason I do it is because typing/IMs seem to be a less intrusive way of communicating without feeling "bombarded".

I don't really like talking on the phone that much, but I'll text the hell out of someone if they initiate first contact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2014, 06:00 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,292,219 times
I am an introvert and I use facebook. I read it a couple times a day but don't post very often. When I do it's things like a photo from a hike, the latest on the cat and kitten learning to get along, or something funny that happened. I have blocked all of the games and much of the other junk; the rest I just ignore.

Most of my family uses fb, so it is a good way to be somewhat connected. I don't have a huge "friends" list, and I turn down requests from people I don't know. ("Friends" of friends - why are they contacting me, anyway?)

I do use facebook messaging; people seem to check and respond to that more often than email.

I hate making phone calls and only rarely call anyone besides my parents. (I'll call a store or a stranger, for some reason, but not friends or relatives.)

ETA: two of the most frequent posters among my friends are introverts.

Old 12-02-2014, 09:14 PM

135 posts, read 390,646 times
pretty much. But I use it to play games and keep up with family.

Old 12-02-2014, 10:18 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,779,947 times
I am an introvert, and have been all of my life.

Interestingly enough, my career path is usually not one for introverts, but nevertheless, I love it and it's what I've chosen.

I don't mind posting here and there on this site...but my private life is more or less my own. Whatever pictures I have, or memories I want to share...I enjoy keeping them to myself. If I do want to share things with others, I will contact them directly. Otherwise, I don't enjoy any aspect of my life being on display. This is why I've never opened a Facebook account and have never used dating websites. I've been happy with this decision for the past several years, and don't have any regrets

Old 12-02-2014, 10:22 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
Deeply introverted here. I like people and enjoy interacting with them. But Facebook is out of the question.

Old 12-03-2014, 04:42 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
... You also can rig your privacy settings so that you have to APPROVE any photo of you that someone tags so no photo of you shows up that you don't want.
Yes, but one has to belong to Facebook to do that. For those of us who do not participate, how are we supposed to know how many photos of us, let alone our personal information, may be floating out in cyberspace without our knowledge or permission. What a Catch-22!

Old 12-03-2014, 09:49 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
I think I'm introverted, and I use Facebook.
I don't post statuses that much though, I give likes and maybe ***** about my bad habit of procrastinating and **** occasionally.

It's a good way of keeping in touch with friends.

Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,545,098 times
I like seeing my nieces and nephews once in a while and FB is the only way I get to do it. I had one very good real life/FB friend with whom I played games a lot, but she died and now it hardly seems worth the effort.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:40 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,863,765 times
I`m somewhere between introvert and extrovert. I like Facebook primarily because it helps me keep in touch with far-away friends and relatives.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:50 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Background:
Most of my life I've considered myself an introvert, but I test as an ENTJ.

Only very briefly in life have I had anything resembling a large amount of friends, and I have a hard time keeping friends for any length of time, I either unintentionally burn my bridge, or don't make the effort to maintain the friendship (things I know are my fault). It's just never been something I've been good at.

From about 4th grade on, I would usually have only a few close friends, and not really associate with anybody else (I have been picked on a lot throughout life for numerous reasons), otherwise I am a loner much of the time (sometimes by choice, sometimes not). If it makes any difference, I have been viewed as some sort of a genius since the age of 3, and have a pretty high IQ.

Anyway, I'm 31 years old, and married with kids. I have Facebook, but generally despise it. I have 78 friends, probably 75% of which are mine or my wife's family. For comparison, my wife has 178 friends, but she has always been the social butterfly. My 20 YO sister-in-law (who is the most shy and introverted person I know), has 320 friends. My 14 YO son has 3,049.

I rarely post anything, and if I do, it's usually for my wife or myself. I don't "like" posts very often. I do enjoy discussions on my favorite baseball team's page, but that's really about it.

Now here's why I despise it: Nowhere else in the world can the collective ignorance and dysfunction of its population be more on parade than it is on Facebook. The News Feed is a virtual wall containing about 50% stupidity. It is full of misinformation, most of which, people believe. I have to read about all of my "friends" completely off-base opinions about things, which only lowers my opinions of them. I have to read about how my "friend's" misfortune is all Obama's fault, or about how the recent mid-term election results were a precedent to the rapture. I have to hear about 4 year old news that was posted as if it just happened an hour ago. I get to hear both sides of Ferguson (yay me). Don't get me started on what most people call "grammar".

I don't mind people posting outings or trips, posts of their families, or posts about life events. I kind of mind seeing what some of my filthy rich cousins are up to all the time. I love finding out a "friend" came to town and didn't bother calling to at least meet up for lunch.

I can't stand people who are on it all day, my own wife is even guilty of this, at times.

Aside from the ease of keeping contact, and the ease of chronicling life without a scrapbook, it serves no other worthwhile purpose IMO. After scrolling down about 10 posts, I'm already mad. I just feel so above all of the banter that goes on there. So I try and stay off of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology