Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you dislike the holidays, when single?
Yes 32 32.99%
No 65 67.01%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 09:26 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,786,210 times

Advertisements

Hated the holidays when I was single, hated the holidays married. There were very few fond memories of the holidays growing up with dysfunctional alcoholic parents. Then I married the man of my dreams with the same dysfunctional family. I'm done with it all but talk to me about Halloween.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:50 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,430,954 times
Nothing could make me enjoy the holidays.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,454,383 times
No, I'm not in a relationship and I don't hate the holidays. In my opinion, being in a relationship is highly overrated.

If you are in a happy relationship, then good for you. But if you're not, then don't be fooled into thinking that you need to be in one in order to be happy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
...During this time of the year I rarely ever engage with women for the most part due to the cold weather of the North East. My best bet is if your single during the holiday season from Thanksgiving to valentine's day your best bet is to take a vacation to warmer parts of the country or fly out of the country and enjoy being yourself....
Are you kidding!? Cold, snowy weather is what makes the season. I love it!

Old 12-01-2014, 10:38 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
"Hatred" is a needlessly intense term. I prefer "bemusement and mild contempt".

For persons with children, modern American winter holidays are a time to ponder traditions and to act as mediator between commercial pressures and personal expectations. Those without children are free of this responsibility, but concomitantly have less reason to feel connection to the overall pace of things during the holidays.

For persons with still living parents, and/or siblings, holidays can be rewarding and refreshing, despite the encumbrances of large gatherings, drinking, overeating and so forth.

Holidays are most onerous for the "super single"... those without parents or siblings, besides being without a romantic partner.

Old 12-01-2014, 10:47 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,872,677 times
I like the holidays even though I haven't had a boyfriend for many of them but life in general is to depressing. I'm so tired of hanging on.

Old 12-01-2014, 11:34 PM

708 posts, read 823,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
I I don't know why the mods moved this out of relationship threads. But I do have to say it does suck being single during the holidays. From Thanksgiving going into valentine's day it's always best for some to be with loved ones. Usually around this time single women would sneak back to be with ex boyfriend for the holidays. During this time of the year I rarely ever engage with women for the most part due to the cold weather of the North East. My best bet is if your single during the holiday season from Thanksgiving to valentine's day your best bet is to take a vacation to warmer parts of the country or fly out of the country and enjoy being yourself. Plenty of people who are stuck in unhappy marriages and unequal relationships, abuse, and families with broken single parent homes and endless child support. This is the reason why I push back marriage and kids until 35 and older.

What the ever the holiday, it never sucks being single for me. I love the time away from work, the freedom and the time to relax and do what ever I enjoy. I am lucky because I enjoy every minute of my own company no matter the time of year or holiday. Valentines day or Christmas, it makes zero difference, my time is mine and I have more of it to spend doing my hobbies!

Old 12-01-2014, 11:35 PM

708 posts, read 823,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autumn07 View Post
I like the holidays even though I haven't had a boyfriend for many of them but life in general is to depressing. I'm so tired of hanging on.

Do you have a healthy diet? excercise?

Life can be depressing sometimes but many completely underestimate the impact of what we eat and whether we excercise can have on our frame of mind.

Old 12-02-2014, 12:18 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,344 times
I don't HATE the holidays, but sometimes I wish that I had kids and a wife to enjoy it with. I don't get into the christmas spirit and I dont care for thanksgiving.

Old 12-02-2014, 03:22 AM

383 posts, read 429,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maniac77 View Post
I'm a resolved single and spend all of my holidays alone, and I LOVE IT! I do have the option of spending the holidays with my dad and his step-family, but I have no interest in doing that. I tend to avoid social situations like the plague, and they always have like 30 people over. I don't know most of them, and it's terribly uncomfortable for me. I've attended a couple of the gatherings, and there's A LOT of drinking and loudness involved. I'm a non-drinker, and I don't really like being around drunk people. I'd rather stay at home and watch sporting events in my sweatpants while making sweet love to a big bucket of buffalo wings. That's my ideal holiday. That's so sad to most people, but there's no other way I'd rather spend a holiday. I never get depressed about being alone. I'm not familiar with the feeling of loneliness. The only time I don't feel alright is when I'm around others.
Ha, will you not marry me? I agree with every word of this. I LOVE the sweet sound of my baseboard heat ticking in a silent house while I binge-watch old movies, preferably thrillers, 50's noir, 40's drama. Put some unholy prepared food full of empty carbohydrates in the microwave--and if the weather is leaden-gray--then call me Mrs. Ebenezer. TOTAL freedom.

I give Christmas presents and respect folks who love the holidays. I just don't envy them.

Old 12-02-2014, 08:38 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,733,492 times
Since when does being married or in a relationship make holidays any better? The level of dysfunction in this society has essentially made every family holiday a nightmare. I have no family in the US so my holidays with family don't exist. Even if I were in my home country they would be miserable as I have brothers and sisters who don't speak with one another. Hubby and I moved to another State to be closer to his family. The day we arrived he went over to pick some stuff up and his sister screamed at him and told him never to come around again. So much for family love there.

The holidays look good in movies, in real life they seldom live up to the fantasy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology