Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 12:30 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,356,985 times

Advertisements

I've never been interested in sports on any level, but don't have a problem who those who are, even if they are fanatics about it.... as long as they don't go overboard with it. I do get annoyed with someone who automatically assumes I'm just as enthusiastic about sports as they are, then look at me as if I have 2 heads when I say I don't care anything about it. It also bothers me to hear athletes, coaches, etc., referred to as a 'hero'. Just because a person was gifted with the physical abilities needed to play a game, doesn't make them a hero. I suppose that the public obsession with sports requires that the players be put on pedestals that they don't really deserve. But it's sad that theses athletes get that title, when the true day-to-day hero's that do something truly worthwhile remain anonymous and go unnoticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 01:00 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
I have never had much of an interest in sports. As far as live games I've mostly attended baseball games.

None of my family was really into sports that much growing up.

I have to admit at times it's made me feel like an outsider or perhaps even a bit unmasculine.

As one of the other posters mentioned, I sometimes wish I had more of an interest as it seems most people are into sports and it's something that people bring up often.

Usually I'll just play along and listen.

I also never really agreed with people looking at sports figures and almost worshipping them. To each his own, but myself I've always looked up more to those outside the sports world. It seems rare that an athelete does something outside of the sports world does something to get recognized. Maybe Magic Johnson and a handful of others perhaps.

As I've grown older, I don't feel as bad for not being into sports like others are. I've realized I have other interests and things in common that I am able to speak about with others.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:28 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
I have played most sports since I was a kid but never at a collegiate level. I blew out my knee in HS so never got to advance past that level. I have raced cars/motorcycles and am a fan of them all.

For me it is what I use to do and I enjoyed it immensely. I played defensive guard and first base and know those positions well. My cousin was really good at tennis and was seeded in the 70s; I learned of that sport from him. Golf is OK but not thrilling, my knee hates skis of any type and soccer involved too much running for me.

Football - NFL - is probably my favorite as I understand the game very well.
I use to umpire Little League in HS but turned down coaching. Little kids are a tough crowd.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:05 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,931,413 times
Like the OP, over the years I often questioned what others get out of watching sports. It's not my thing and it never has been---but I was genuinely curious about why so many people across the globe are drawn in by sports. No one ever really made a good case to me for spending so much time watching sports. Then....one day, a writer from a certain blog I regularly read wrote this piece. It now makes sense. Mind you, it hasn't sparked my interest to watch sports whatsoever, but it HAS explained very well why so many love their sports. Can you relate?

Why I like something as dumb and meaningless as professional sports

Old 12-08-2014, 02:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,441,003 times
Interesting article, just finished reading it . Thanks for posting.

It does explains some things from a perspective I hadn't thought of before.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:24 PM

412 posts, read 545,309 times
This is the reason I don't like sports that much. I still love a game, but it upsets my balance too much if you know what I mean. I just hate how it can make two people, who would otherwise get along, want to kill each other.

Old 12-08-2014, 03:38 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,712,890 times
We're kind of a rare breed....relatively speaking ! I work with many men (not all, but probably 80% of them) that are totally into sports, mostly watching, but some participating as well either in person or through their kids. I also work with many women....they are a mixed bunch, but generally far less interested in sports than the men unless it involves one of their child's organized sports.

I've never been real interested in organized sports. I did enjoy playing a pickup game of baseball/softball when I was a kid, but other than that, not much of the sports scene interested me. I was more into building roads in the sandbox as a child, or riding my bike, playing with my Hot wheel cars etc... and later on working on cars which provided me much enjoyment and mental stimulation learning new things that would benefit me through out life. Just seemed like a more interesting and productive use of my time....but to each their own.

I actually get a bit irritated (my wife will back me up on this....lol) when we're watching the TV news and they start discussing something or another directly related to sports or some sports figure and his/her accomplishments of one sort or another. I have no idea why we place such a high importance on the achievements of those who can use a stick (of one sort or another) to hit a ball, or throw a ball very accurately, or catch a ball accurately.....but we sure do ! I'd rather discuss other subjects that I feel are more relevant to our cumulative well being as a society, but they provide the news that most people want and find interesting....and I guess at the end of the day, that's the way it should be.

Just the other day I was talking to a co-workers husband at our Christmas party who's quite interested in sports, We exchanged a few sentences about sports (not sure how the subject actually came up....although I know it didn't come from me :-), and after about two minutes I joked with him that I'd discussed pretty much everything I can intelligently discuss about sports. I then said perhaps we should discuss recent interesting Supreme Court decisions...we both laughed and that was pretty much that for conversation between us :-) I was more joking than anything else....but the fact is, I spend much more time pondering issues like that than I do sports !

Old 12-08-2014, 05:20 PM

238 posts, read 315,509 times
Well, I cannot give you a general answer, but both my wife and I grew up in households where our parents watched sports (hers watched football, my dad watched football, baseball, hockey and basketball; sometimes if two games were on simultaneously both TV sets in the living room would be turned on). She also was athletically inclined-a true jock (softball, basketball, and tennis) whereas my nose was buried in a book, or I was zoning out on my headphones.

Apparently, growing up in such a sports fanatic household may cause offspring to turn out as exact replicas (like my wife who LOVES watching all sorts of sports on TV) or may cause said offspring to rebel against such indoctrination (Netflix, documentaries, Sims, and books for me, please). Plus, the additional sport participation might have something to do with it as well (my dad, like my wife was a jock).

Old 12-08-2014, 06:08 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,656,926 times
Its all about alcohol and acting like bikers but having it be socially acceptable instead of being called scum.
Its much easier to tell people your are "tailgating" or "watching the game" than it is to say "Im going to strap on the boozefist and get sh**face trashed"

Old 12-08-2014, 06:51 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,565,220 times
It's really bad in the South, especially here in Alabama. It's assumed you must be a fan of the Crimson Tide or Auburn. About 2/3 of the vehicles here have a big 'A' sticker on the back window. Many of these people talk like they attend those universities, even though they've never stepped foot on campus. They can name just about every one of the Crimson Tide football players, yet they can't name a single one of the medical achievements of the University of Alabama. It's extremely annoying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology