Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times

Advertisements

To be happy you have to want to be happy. Some people are content being miserable, some people are paralyzed by their unhappiness and can't make a change, for some it's a chemical imbalance and medication is required. My sister-in-law has stage 4 pancreatic cancer yet she still finds happiness with her new kitten. It's hard to find happiness if you're totally stressed out. Lets go to Colorado, sit on a mountain top and smoke weed for a week mmcpa. Sometimes laughter is the best medicine. Find a way to laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2014, 10:44 AM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
First thing's first....the last people you want to make miserable are your family.
They are your stronghold of love and support...do not alienate them.
Thanks so much for your kind words. As I said I am trying hard to make them happy.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:46 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Partially cross-posted from here (link).

My situation has some differences and some similarities. The difference is that my wife and 17 and 18 year old sons are delightful and I am trying not to make them miserable. My job situation is worse than yours; I've been asked to leave as of December 31.

The last few years have been utter tumult and I am not holding up as well as I should.

At the end of 2012 our previously independent firm merged into a larger firm in White Plains. My senior colleague, who I'd been with for almost 27 years at that point, did not get along with the leadership at the new firm. On November 15, 2013 he had a row with one of them which ended in fingers being pointed towards eyes, shouting and foul language. Days later, a few days before Thanksgiving, my stepfather of almost 40 years (my own father died in early 1973) went into Greenwich Hospital after a fall, and developing incontinence. A week or so later he was transferred to rehab and died on December 24, 2013. Christmas Eve is not the problem since I'm Jewish.

However, at the same time my senior colleague of 28 years and I, after that November 15 blowup, moved to another firm in New York City with a start date of January 1, 2014. My mother's gradual decline steepened drastically around then and she was put on hospice on February 16. All of this marred what should have been a great start at a nice new firm.

I was given notice in July for the end of the year, and now am searching for a job. The combination of the holidays, the overall cheer and my total gloom are making me miserable. It is all I can do not to depress my loving wife and 17 and 18 year old sons.

I am just too miserable even to go out for the runs that used to lift my spirit. Nothing makes me happy any more. Even a morning visit to a psychologist I know this morning (he agreed to come in on Sunday) didn't help. I'm at a loss.

Have you tried taking care of an animal? That is more therapeutic than listening to some shrink's psycho babble Get an animal from a shelter and give it a loving new home If money is a problem, get something small that won't eat much, a hamster or canary, a life is a life

Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,665,924 times
Been there, done that, both with job loss and marriage. If a whimp like me can do it, so can YOU!

Today, I am married to a gentle, loving man but I didn't know he existed when, after putting my first DH through college decided he didn't want his family anymore. If I had known then, what I now know about what a good life is out there, I would have kicked #1 to the curb years before. I was trying so hard to keep my marriage vows and hold on to...well, I can see now, it was only the air, as there was better waiting for me. It took 15 years for me to heal enough to be able to trust and love again, which is sad as I see that there is a better life. The man I am married also went through his share of relationships problems and took years before he too could open up again.

For those of us who worked and started out with the premise that hard would equal job security, well, we didn't see the world changing. Here in the Bay Area so many foreigners are arriving and Americans are being discarded like yesterday's news that it is heartbreaking. The forces are stronger than an individual so all we can do to not allow it to break our spirit. A job is only a job so it is time reinvent and create the life we want.

I can't say it as well as some other posters but I hope some of what I said makes sense. Sending a huge group hug to my fellow Americans who will soon see the joy of a new day and learn to let go of what never was.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:49 AM

35,051 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Have you tried taking care of an animal? That is more therapeutic than listening to some shrink's psycho babble Get an animal from a shelter and give it a loving new home If money is a problem, get something small that won't eat much, a hamster or canary, a life is a life
I've got an 18 year old red-headed son I sometimes call the Irish Setter, and a dark-brown haired son I sometimes call the gorilla. So I have my animals.

And yes the red hair comes from me even though it turned to brown at age 13.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:50 AM

658 posts, read 724,131 times
When I am depressed, I remember the cheerful time of my life; my childhood, my old friends, my past relationships, and many other happy moments, and somehow a smile comes. Realize you're not alone.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ameridreamNoT View Post
When I am depressed, I remember the cheerful time of my life; my childhood, my old friends, my past relationships, and many other happy moments, and somehow a smile comes. Realize you're not alone.
I don't know if that would work with me. I guess I would become melancholic, which is the last thing I would need if I were feeling down already

Old 12-15-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I've got an 18 year old red-headed son I sometimes call the Irish Setter, and a dark-brown haired son I sometimes call the gorilla. So I have my animals.

And yes the red hair comes from me even though it turned to brown at age 13.
It's not the same, they are just humans

Old 12-15-2014, 01:13 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,339,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm not deeply depressed (although I am depressed). I'm having marriage difficulties. I am partner in my company yet not satisfied. I'm not happy.

Why is the mind so capable of looking at what's in front of it, and finding more negatives than positives, and making ones life feel unhappy because those negatives appear stronger than the positives? It sucks.
You choose to think either way. I for the most part see the positives to life. It is a choice that I make. You are also making a choice.

Old 12-15-2014, 01:16 PM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
You choose to think either way. I for the most part see the positives to life. It is a choice that I make. You are also making a choice.
I wish it was that easy. But the mind of an over-thinker such as myself is a difficult thing to shut off, choice of thought. My mind continually attempts to think of every angle of everything - it sucks. I am working on training the mind to think differently - that will take time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology