Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:08 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Davros, I am having a bad case of the deja vu right now. I'm pretty sure you brought this up before. At that time you had a plethora of problems that were really weighing you down and your therapist was only worsening the matter, if I remember correctly. It was quite a while ago.
Yes, and the OP confirmed he was suffering from a paranoid delusion at that time. His therapist was not trying to convert him or damn him to hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:26 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
Yes, and the OP confirmed he was suffering from a paranoid delusion at that time. His therapist was not trying to convert him or damn him to hell.
Oh no, not again.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:29 PM

45,404 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Oh no, not again.

Yep. Same song, different arrangement.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:43 PM

3,603 posts, read 5,939,384 times
Quote:
I live in the buckle of the bible belt, I have been to many therapists and marriage counselors over the years, and I have NEVER met one that would say or even believe what you have written.

How did you find the one psycho-therapist?????

What part of what I have written in particular do you not believe. He really did say "I'm worried about your soul" as I left.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
That was my psychiatrist. And she said I had two choices: Jesus Christ or the other way. That was her response to me going on a bit of a rant and ending it with "and if I deserve to go to Hell they'll just have to send me there". The paranoia was that I believed she was purposely screwing up my medicines to force me to rock bottom so I'd convert.

In Reality she really did screw things up by changing my meds and I still haven't recovered to where I was. I don't think it was on purpose, but I do think she's incompetent.

This thread is about talk therapy. My psychologist turned out to be a fundamentalist too. No wonder he encouraged me to stick with the fundamentalist psychiatrist.

I'm gonna try to start over with a secular doctor and counselor if I can find one.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:56 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
What city do you live in?

I live in Tennessee, and I honestly don't think I know two people who would say that to me, much less two different mental health "professionals."

How did you find these two??

Old 12-31-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
What city do you live in?

I live in Tennessee, and I honestly don't think I know two people who would say that to me, much less two different mental health "professionals."

How did you find these two??
Found them through my insurance directory.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,024,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Say you're a non-Christian and you live in an area where most of the therapists you encounter are fundamentalist Christians.

These people believe you are going to Hell.

Can they really help you if ultimately they believe you're sick and lost so long as you haven't accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

Should I make sure a therapist is not a fundamentalist Christian before sticking with them?
Jesus! it sounds like you're living in the Christian equivalent of Tora Bora. As others have essentially said, avoid a religious nut 'therapist' like the bloody plague. If you wanted a witchdoctor, you'd ask for one.
Just out of curiosity what part of the country are you living in?

Old 12-31-2014, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 8,755 times
NO!!!!! They can not help you. Unless by "help" you mean bully you into converting to Christianty so that they can "save" you. Find a new theripist or move. I am a psy major & I find the behavior of a theripist forcing their religion onto their patient abhorrent.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,760,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Say you're a non-Christian and you live in an area where most of the therapists you encounter are fundamentalist Christians.

These people believe you are going to Hell.

Can they really help you if ultimately they believe you're sick and lost so long as you haven't accepted Jesus as your Lord and Savior?

Should I make sure a therapist is not a fundamentalist Christian before sticking with them?
A therapist can believe whatever they want to believe, but if their beliefs affect the way they treat their patients then that is a problem.

If you feel uncomfortable with your therapist then the best thing to do is find someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology