Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2016, 01:38 PM

3,426 posts, read 3,341,120 times

Advertisements

And if you want to encounter people with B.O., try riding a crowded New York subway. Wheeee-ooooo!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 01:51 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
When I was growing up in the 50s, the normal regimen was that you had a bath once per week. My bath night was Friday and that was that. People were not considered dirty because they bathed once per week. Today I take 2-3 showers per week and that is plenty in my estimation.
Maybe in the 1850's.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:58 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I did not know a single family in my neighbourhood that had a freakin shower. So, we didn't shower EVER period. We did wash daily but that is not a shower or a bath. Feet, face and bum and the rest once a week. You know, a lot of people today have a lot of skin problems. I think one of the causes is Too much washing, too much soap and other harsh chemicals. These things strip the natural oils from your skin and no chemical crap you rub back in is even close to as good.
Soap a harsh chemical?

Every time bathing comes up someone tries the natural oils excuse. I have never seen lack of natural oils listed as a cause of death. I have never seen lack of natural oils listed as a symptom.

People always try to justify the wrong behavior of their family.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,789 times
My parents were teens in the 50's. It was NOT the norm to shower every day back then. The two posters who said this wasn't true are funny b/c they think they know more than the people who were alive and lived it. Must be a millennials, lol.

About the showering, could it be body image issues and not wanting to see herself naked perhaps?

Old 07-19-2017, 01:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
A major thing that bothers me in our public water is fluoride and chlorine, showering and bathing in it. It's true the more one showers/baths the more their skin drys out.

Old 07-20-2017, 08:14 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
My 23 year old niece won't bathe or shower on a regular basis. She takes a shower about every 5 or 6 days and at times she smells pretty bad. I've run into men or boys who won't bathe, but I don't think I've ever run into a girl in her 20's who won't bathe. Is this a sign of some other problem? I think this is very strange behavior.
You Asked: How Often Should I Shower? | Time.com

Old 07-20-2017, 11:27 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
People don't need to bathe every day, and they surely don't need to shampoo every day. Nor do you have to launder your clothes after one wearing. Americans are so neurotic about this!
I will happily keep my neurosis, thank you. What's the big deal with showering daily, it takes less than 10 minutes; much faster than "spot cleaning" or whatever it is people do in the absence of a shower. When I visit certain European countries I practically gag from some folks BO. Why does anybody think that is normal?

Old 07-20-2017, 11:40 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,031,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
I will happily keep my neurosis, thank you. What's the big deal with showering daily, it takes less than 10 minutes; much faster than "spot cleaning" or whatever it is people do in the absence of a shower. When I visit certain European countries I practically gag from some folks BO. Why does anybody think that is normal?
I am with you there. Everyone always asks why I won't go to certain countries and the simple response is because I would feel it necessary to pass out deodorant and explain that their nasty smelling cologne is not helping their obvious body odor issue.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,936,608 times
It wastes water, for one thing (not that most people worry about resources -- or money).

Old 07-20-2017, 01:51 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
A major thing that bothers me in our public water is fluoride and chlorine, showering and bathing in it. It's true the more one showers/baths the more their skin drys out.
There are filters who filter out the fluoride and chlorine in showers. Do you only drink water from a reverse osmosis filter? There is fluoride in every wine/beer/soda/water bottle you drink from. In every can of whatever, soups, ....

You only need a 3 minute shower, and you can apply lotion after.

So, there goes your stink excuse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology