Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 10:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,549,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakealope View Post
My 23 year old niece won't bathe or shower on a regular basis. She takes a shower about every 5 or 6 days and at times she smells pretty bad. I've run into men or boys who won't bathe, but I don't think I've ever run into a girl in her 20's who won't bathe. Is this a sign of some other problem? I think this is very strange behavior.
Talk to her in a non-threatening way, and explain that it's becoming an issue. There are a lot of reasons people don't bathe regularly. Sometimes they get too busy to notice. They may not notice a smell because they are used to it, so they may think that no one else notices. If she has roommates or lives with someone else there may be other issues; she may not be getting along with them, so she is withdrawing to collect herself and stay out of the way. I remember I moved in with my uncle after something happened to my parents' house. He was so cantankerous that I was afraid he was going to get mad at me for using the water, so I stopped bathing and showering until it was absolutely necessary and hoped he wouldn't notice. It backfired, and he got mad at me for not keeping clean, but I had no idea how he was going to act and explained to him that was why I was avoiding it.

Then again, she may be bathing regularly but not changing her clothes. If she doesn't have a lot of clothes and doesn't have a means of washing them without leaving her house, this is a very easy habit to get into. I often avoid the laundromat until I feel like it is necessary, because I don't have a lot of money to spend on having my clothes professionally cleaned. Sometimes I just spray them with fabric spray unless there are noticeable stains. It's a lazy person's route, but you do get lazy if you think no one notices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 10:09 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
When I was growing up in the 50s, the normal regimen was that you had a bath once per week. My bath night was Friday and that was that. People were not considered dirty because they bathed once per week. Today I take 2-3 showers per week and that is plenty in my estimation.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:17 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Oh good grief!!

I wear black almost exclusively. I am no where near depressed. I simply LIKE to wear black. Plus, it's slimming!
I was addressing my comment to the OP, not you!

OP?

FYI - Might want to google "color psychology".

Old 01-01-2015, 10:24 PM

4,977 posts, read 5,719,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
I was addressing my comment to the OP, not you!

OP?

FYI - Might want to google "color psychology".
The OP never mentioned her wearing black.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:30 PM

4,761 posts, read 14,210,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
The OP never mentioned her wearing black.
I am asking if she wears black a lot. ??? And I am asking the OP!

Note: If you read about color psychology, colors can mean different things in different contexts. People who seek power also commonly might drive black cars. Upscale products commonly will be black. On and on...

Sort of like symptoms for a physical illness - alone a cough may mean nothing - but taken together with a combination of other symptoms, it can be significant.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,666,396 times
Tell her she's stinky.And it's laziness.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,550,772 times
Yeah, that's got to be depression or a minor mental thing. A 23 year old male or female should wash their genitals, underarms and backside daily. If they are too lazy to shower or bathe everyday then at least do the sponge bath thingy.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:09 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,575,115 times
It screams depression and I have lots of experience with that ailment as it runs in my family, genetically and environmentially. Three deaths by alcoholism and one suicide, all siblings.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:22 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,502,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
When I was growing up in the 50s, the normal regimen was that you had a bath once per week. My bath night was Friday and that was that. People were not considered dirty because they bathed once per week. Today I take 2-3 showers per week and that is plenty in my estimation.
People showered in the 50s on a daily basis, before my time but they showered. The 50s weren't the Middle Ages....LOL.

Sounds like you're talking about when you were a little kid. Not much has changed on that front regarding young kids, however starting with puberty you need to wash more than once or twice a week.

Sounds the like the OP's niece could be suffering from depression. The second poster who commented brought up some good points.

Old 01-02-2015, 12:29 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,517,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
People showered in the 50s on a daily basis, before my time but they showered. The 50s weren't the Middle Ages....LOL.

Sounds like you're talking about when you were a little kid. Not much has changed on that front regarding young kids, however starting with puberty you need to wash more than once or twice a week.

Sounds the like the OP's niece could be suffering from depression. The second poster who commented brought up some good points.
I did not know a single family in my neighbourhood that had a freakin shower. So, we didn't shower EVER period. We did wash daily but that is not a shower or a bath. Feet, face and bum and the rest once a week. You know, a lot of people today have a lot of skin problems. I think one of the causes is Too much washing, too much soap and other harsh chemicals. These things strip the natural oils from your skin and no chemical crap you rub back in is even close to as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology