Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 09:54 PM

141 posts, read 160,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Unwanted touching does not have to be tolerated by anybody. Your cousin was in mainstream classes for many years. I have no doubt he understands boundaries. His intellectual deficits are no defense. Even children understand boundaries. Trust your instincts. This is not the first time he has touched someone.
I don't think anyone said it is ok to tolerate unwanted touching.

But throwing tantrums because your family doesn't feel like your cousin should be banned from their lives because he once touched her breasts is childish, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacere View Post
I don't think anyone said it is ok to tolerate unwanted touching.

But throwing tantrums because your family doesn't feel like your cousin should be banned from their lives because he once touched her breasts is childish, imo.
Utter nonsense. The OP should feel safe in her own home. He should be left home. He is 24, and not child.
And yes, telling the OP she is overreacting to something that has been traumatic for her, is telling her unwanted touching is ok, and indefensible.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Utter nonsense. The OP should feel safe in her own home. He should be left home. He is 24, and not child.
And yes, telling the OP she is overreacting to something that has been traumatic for her, is telling her unwanted touching is ok, and indefensible.
I agree that she should feel safe in her house. She should also learn how to handle such situations, rather than just demanding that everyone in her family stopped contact with her cousin's family.

I am sorry, but if you are traumatized by someone grabbing your breast, there is something wrong with you. Women go through rape, torture, real abuse, and so on - that is real trauma. If you cannot handle properly one unwanted touch, then there is something not right with your psyche. The way I see it, if you are traumatized by someone touching your breast, you have some mental imbalance. First world problem, imo.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:50 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
The OP isn't overreacting, retard or not, she doesn't have to be subjected to such situations, to me it is no different than a normal 24 year old doing the same stunt. I don't know why retards are always exempt from normal human workings anyway. If his parents gave him the proper training, he'd be halfway to a respectable citizen by now. That would have to be the most advanved case of autism ever, no way it's just that, there is something on top of that. Their minds work on basic simpled emotions, not logic and reason, and I'm hard pressed to think empathy is even in most retards arsenals.

I'd stay clear away from him, obviously they let him slide on things because hes retarded, and you're looked on as the bad guy, since you take offense to his doings. They aren't going to do spit about it, or anything else he does. Hopefully they see the light and have him locked away when he kills something, or somebody.

Old 02-01-2015, 10:56 PM

Quote:
I agree that she should feel safe in her house. She should also learn how to handle such situations, rather than just demanding that everyone in her family stopped contact with her cousin's family.

I am sorry, but if you are traumatized by someone grabbing your breast, there is something wrong with you. Women go through rape, torture, real abuse, and so on - that is real trauma. If you cannot handle properly one unwanted touch, then there is something not right with your psyche. The way I see it, if you are traumatized by someone touching your breast, you have some mental imbalance. First world problem, imo.

You are making excuses, and blaming the victim.

I just touched her breast, what's the big deal? What's the matter? Can't she take a little boob grab?

That's it.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
You are making excuses, and blaming the victim.

I just touched her breast, what's the big deal? What's the matter? Can't she take a little boob grab?

That's it.
Bull****. She isn't a victim, and yes, she should be able to properly process that. I have been through two rape attempts, one of which sent me to the hospital and left me with permanent physical issues. And I am extremely lucky, since there are women out there who are really suffering sexual exploitation and pain. It is insulting to see a boob grab being put on the same level with real sexual abuse or harassment. The word gets thrown around so often and with so much ease that it becomes meaningless. It is little girls like the OP that make things more difficult for the real victims out there.

She isn't a victim, not in the way I understand the word. She is a spoiled child who thinks the world revolves around her. What happened to her wasn't sexual abuse, but a poorly handled situation on both parts.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Bull****. She isn't a victim, and yes, she should be able to properly process that. I have been through two rape attempts, one of which sent me to the hospital and left me with permanent physical issues. And I am extremely lucky, since there are women out there who are really suffering sexual exploitation and pain. It is insulting to see a boob grab being put on the same level with real sexual abuse or harassment. The word gets thrown around so often and with so much ease that it becomes meaningless. It is little girls like the OP that make things more difficult for the real victims out there.

She isn't a victim, not in the way I understand the word. She is a spoiled child who thinks the world revolves around her. What happened to her wasn't sexual abuse, but a poorly handled situation on both parts.

This is not your story. People are not entitled to touch someone's breast. Is that okay with you? Do you allow people to touch your breast because you and other women have experienced real suffering? It is no big deal to you?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:18 PM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:

That is your mental comstitution, not hers. For some women, almost raped, may as well been raped with extreme prejudice. You were almost raped twice, and you are aokay, good for you, sometimes people don't come from that, or less than that so well rounded and okay. Some people can live horrid lives, come out traumatized, timmid, with weird issues, others come out complete opposite, yet still broken, often violent, ragefull, full of spite, and contempt. She AIN'T YOU, would I be hung up on it, no, but some would be. Take that attitude to G&M, see how well that works, I've done it, and it didn't go well.

Old 02-01-2015, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
That is your mental comstitution, not hers. For some women, almost raped, may as well been raped with extreme prejudice. You were almost raped twice, and you are aokay, good for you, sometimes people don't come from that, or less than that so well rounded and okay. Some people can live horrid lives, come out traumatized, timmid, with weird issues, others come out complete opposite, yet still broken, often violent, ragefull, full of spite, and contempt. She AIN'T YOU, would I be hung up on it, no, but some would be. Take that attitude to G&M, see how well that works, I've done it, and it didn't go well.
And my whole point is that she should come out ok. We learn throughout our lives to deal with various events, of various degrees of danger to us. It is all a part of having a normal and well balanced life, negotiating trauma and death.

It's not ok to let people overact to minor events in their lives, imo. It just leaves them unprepared for the real hardships out there, and unable to move on. I can be sad my cat died for a week or two, but if I become depressive over that and mourn it for a year it isn't healthy - how would I react when someone close, a mother, a father or a sibling passes away? Commit suicide?

Who is G&M?

Old 02-01-2015, 11:27 PM

Quote:
This is not your story. People are not entitled to touch someone's breast. Is that okay with you? Do you allow people to touch your breast because you and other women have experienced real suffering? It is no big deal to you?
Of course not. But I don't became traumatized because an ******* grabbed my breast without permission either. I would be in a psychiatric ward if that were the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology