Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 10:49 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,454,406 times

Advertisements

We all have qualities and parts of ourselves that we either don't like or else we think are our best parts. How do you feel about your level of "intelligence" (whether IQ, education, common sense, 'street smarts', whichever), compared to most people you meet? And how do you think it affects your self-image, behavior or how you present yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 01:00 PM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
It's kind of a big deal for me.

I've rejected the "pretty" female persona and embraced the "nerdy intellectual." While I care about health and hygiene, yes, I don't go out of my way for beauty. My clothing is chosen with regard to some semi-obscure cult interest in the hopes of inciting conversations with others who might notice. I pick up intellectual obsessions and teach myself stuff. Now I know I'm just as prone to "dummy mistakes" and gaps in my knowledge in certain areas, as anyone. I certainly do not "know it all." But what smarts I have are my favorite thing about me.

I have no idea my IQ and I'm skeptical about measurements of intelligence via tests, so I'm not that interested.

I have been trying to talk myself into pursuing more formal education, but I am perpetually pursuing informal education (reading & researching various topics.)

I have far more common sense and "street smarts" (at least situational awareness and ways to keep myself safe and functional) than most people I know. I make decent life choices. I give good advice. It's a particular gift that I am an excellent judge of character and I understand other people well. I usually have a better grasp on the motivations and behavior of others and a good "gut" on who to trust and who not to trust.

As I mentioned, it affects my behavior and self presentation in the sense that I brush off and dismiss compliments on my appearance that are supposed to be high flattery. I guess, since I'm female, I'm supposed to WANT to be considered pretty...and when I "psh, thanks, ok whatever" at those sorts of comments people actually argue sometimes, like if I don't get all blushy and happy about it I must have low self esteem...I've had to explain myself to way too many people about this. I really just don't care. I would rather nerd out on the topic of how awesome certain cephalopods are, or talk about a cool documentary about citizen journalism in China, or discuss books or sci fi or Monty Python... It also affects my confidence, my choices in friends and activities, my preference for sobriety, and any number of other things about my life.

Old 01-05-2015, 01:14 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,809,897 times
I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I am ok in my personal life. I don't talk about it to most people IRL but when it comes to getting a career or even just a job, I'm just stupid which makes me feel really worthless because my worth has relied a lot lately on whether I'm making a living.
I feel like my intelligence is more abstract and I was pretty much born to be anti-logic.

Old 01-05-2015, 02:04 PM

4,575 posts, read 5,190,203 times
Tough question.

I think I am average in common sense and maybe slightly above average in book smarts. But both aren't anything to brag about.

I always get called smart, and proper, and having a good vocab. I went for Voc Rehab testing, the lady there states my scores were all good, and my english and vocab I was grand in, since I made it to the end, which most don't. My scores may have been better, but some tests were timed, and I don't work well under pressure.

So, I may be a bit better in book smarts, but I can be a bit unmotivated or a procrastinator, which may be my issues more-so than being stupid.

Old 01-05-2015, 04:33 PM

^ If it makes any difference and you don't mind my 'curiosity', seems like many of your past threads suggest a lot of 'emotional' & "creative" intelligence. Which BTW, not everyone shares, and which can also be developed even further, just like any other kinda 'smarts'!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:55 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
We all have qualities and parts of ourselves that we either don't like or else we think are our best parts. How do you feel about your level of "intelligence" (whether IQ, education, common sense, 'street smarts', whichever), compared to most people you meet? And how do you think it affects your self-image, behavior or how you present yourself?
You asked, so I'm answering, at the risk of sounding arrogant.

My IQ is 135, although one ridiculous test said much higher. (They threw that one out. Call it a computer glitch.) I'm also private-school educated, though not ivory-tower clueless (can't be, if Mom's teenage years were spend in the Bronx!), raised with respect for etiquette and the social niceties, and am very quick to see patterns, usually long before anyone else does.

Most of it combines to shock sexists, impress clinicians, and charm boyfriends' mothers. It's really that last thing that becomes an issue at times, the ability to detect patterns before other people do. I don't suffer fools, and if I see a pattern of wastefulness, inefficiency, deception, etc., I point it out. Thing is, a lot of times, people will say I'm just being too hard on someone, or overly suspicious. At work, it's an issue because it gets me branded as a troublemaker. In social settings, it gets me branded as negative. Keep in mind, I try to do it with diplomacy, but still, if people don't know me well or for long, they may think I'm a critic.

But invariably, they all come back to me sooner or later and say, "You were so RIGHT about that person/situation/process."

Usually I manage to refrain from saying, "I told you so!"

Usually.

Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 PM

^ Yeah, that's a very interesting thang, how each gender sees 'smarts'. And I don't doubt the "sexism" experience (which must be a real PITA)! And maybe also some differences between male and female "cultures" can contribute to it…. like the unspoken standards re: 'assertiveness' and 'competition' that men have been raised to know intuitively (concepts of 'sportsmanship', fair play, chivalry, etc), that some women don't always 'get' (so they often appear to be 'going for the throat')! Have even noticed some of these kinda intellectual 'sparring' matches occasionally between a 'bright' couple. Though it soon becomes clear that they're each 'competing' under a completely different set of 'rules'!

Old 01-06-2015, 10:05 AM

20,378 posts, read 14,651,390 times
I find it interesting how people are always hesitent to be openly proud of intelligence they may possess, lest we seem arrogant.

Really, every single one of us is a mixed bag of specialties and blind spots, blessings and curses, strengths and weaknesses, joys and sorrows. I don't find fault with anyone for counting their blessings, so long as they are not pointing at perceived inferiorities in others to make themselves feel superior. Intelligence is rarely a product of nature alone, you must put in some time and effort to acquire education by whatever means. I see nothing wrong with being proud of that, any more than it would be wrong to feel pride in any other accomplishment.

As for gender and competition...as a female I prefer to compete with myself. So long as I'm being the best "me" that I can be, I don't feel much need to compare myself to others.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:56 AM

251 posts, read 299,612 times
I like my smarts all a way around. I don't act superior or inferior around people based off what I know. I really don't think about it much.

Old 01-06-2015, 12:01 PM

3,639 posts, read 3,339,149 times
All the tests I've taken have varied. One said 130, the other 119 and another 125. The IQ scale is not that reliable in my opinion.

I would put myself at above average intelligence, but nothing stellar. I've definitely met plenty of people that far surpass me. I try to educate myself on as many things as possible and know when I'm in over my head in most cases.

I've always been considered the class nerd (just behind the super nerd lol).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology