Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 07:13 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times

Advertisements

Good morning all! Or maybe not. By now, many of you have woken up to the irritating noise of your alarm clock. I was thinking about alarm clocks the other day after gf and I went shopping for a new one. She is not a violent person, except when it comes to that device, which was why we had to buy a new one. She finally had to replace it after pounding the snooze button so much on the poor, defenseless machine it finally croaked. She uses an alarm clock, not the phone, and the volume is turned up as loud as it will go. On her workdays, she sets it to whatever time, and in the morning, the radio comes on and incredibly loud country music blares through the speakers. Her reasoning is that Martina McBride, Reba McEntire, and their ilk will get her out of bed right away.

But this system doesn't work well. Whenever it comes on, she ignores it somehow. How I don't know. I don't understand how she can ignore 140 decibels of CONTINUOUS COUNTRY MUSIC! emitted just inches from her ear for several minutes, bang on that snooze button, which quiets the machine for another eight minutes, lather, rinse, repeat until about 45 minutes later, she finally gets up. I always wake up before my alarm clock or as soon as it rings, I'm up. I have never used the snooze button, even if I went to bed way past normal bedtime. So what are your alarm clock habits? If you ignore it, how do you think you make yourself not hear the sound? Do you also hate your alarm clock?

Last edited by Scooby Snacks; 01-06-2015 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 07:37 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,552,039 times
Snooze button is a terrible idea.

My alarm is also a clock radio. I keep it across the room so I have to get up to turn it off. I head straight to the shower.

I USED to do the whole snooze routine when I was in college, but really, the low quality of sleep you're getting in those 10 or so minutes is not worth the stress.

Old 01-06-2015, 08:43 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,720,139 times
My phone is my alarm. I either hit the snooze once or get up right away. Yesterday I hit the snooze 4 times...it was a rough day -- not enough time for coffee before work. Today, it was just once. I had more time for coffee this morning.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:42 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,855,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
My phone is my alarm. I either hit the snooze once or get up right away. Yesterday I hit the snooze 4 times...it was a rough day -- not enough time for coffee before work. Today, it was just once. I had more time for coffee this morning.
I'm just wondering how she and other people can ignore the alarm, especially a loud alarm, and then somehow get up later to an identical sounding alarm How does the 4th or 5th ringing alarm get you out of bed? What is the difference when the alarm sounds the same? Is it the knowledge that you will be late for work/school/whatever? But then again, I'm unusually sensitive to noise, I find noise extremely irritating, and I know that delaying my awakening doesn't change the fact that I need to get up, so I might as well get it over with.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:31 AM

22,284 posts, read 21,585,660 times
Is your girlfriend a heavy drinker? Is she not getting enough sleep? Those are the only two reasons I can think of for this morning behaviour.

Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 AM

1 posts, read 1,055 times
I am a cell phone alarm clock user as well as an occasional snoozer. I typically get 4 -6 hrs of sleep a night waking up very early for the type of shift work that I do. I am also a heavy sleeper and am blessed with the ability to sleep through just about anything.
I may be misguided in this but my rationale behind the snooze is that it depends on the depth of sleep that you're waking up from. The initial alarm pulls you from your deep sleep cycle and the subsequent snoozing puts you back into a light sleep where waking up will be slightly less traumatic.
Either way my mornings are usually hit or miss regarding how I feel until I get my hands on that first cup of coffee.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:01 AM

12,064 posts, read 23,092,364 times
I set two alarms; one is my phone and the other is a radio. My phone goes off first and I hit the snooze button for about three cycles, at which point my radio alarm goes off. I can do a cycle or two of that if I want to, but I typically just get up.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:08 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,225,096 times
I have a CD in my alarm clock. every day the Eagles peaceful easy feeling is set to come on. I normally get up just as the machine is getting ready to play the song, so the majority of the time the song never plays. I never hit the snooze, because i find waking up multiple times annoying...I just get it over with and move on. I also have it play quietly, as getting up to loud noises has the chance of putting me in a foul mood.

Further, my wife would be angry for hours if something loud would wake her up. She needs a nice calm wake up.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:11 AM

20,207 posts, read 14,430,848 times
As one poster mentioned, one of the best strategies for stubborn sleepers who have alarm clock dysfunctions is to move the thing across the room. It's easier to stay up when you have to physically GET up to turn it off!

I should do that actually.

I don't use the snooze, but sometimes I actually turn it off in my sleep. Then wake up late with no memory of having turned it off. I did that yesterday and woke with no time to boot my brain and drink my coffee...had to hurry, shower, dress, out the door...and despite getting some coffee later on, felt off-kilter the whole day. Bleh.

Also for some reason my cat was off his game yesterday and didn't wake me up with his "advance notice that feeding time will occur in T-minus one hour" at like 4AM. Usually he's walking on me and clawing my toes and knocking things off shelves by 5...my furry secondary alarm clock.

Old 01-06-2015, 11:12 AM

36 posts, read 28,237 times
I hate wake up call in general. I try to choose occupations and jobs that allow "free sleep". Today I woke 3 p.m. for example. Need to awake in particular time is terrible for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology