Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2015, 06:03 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times

Advertisements

I think what you get on forums is actually more honest than you get in real life. Many people believe that they have to act in a certain socially accepted behavior or be considered a cretan, or racist, sexist, etc. But on a forum, you can be anonymous. You can express your true feelings, and that is what you get.

Its not unlike people who get drunk. What you often get is behavior that you wouldn't otherwise see. The alcohol lowers inhibitions, and they get violent or sexually agressive or promiscuous or they sit and cry in their beer. What is happening is that what is really inside that person, locked up is what is really there. Same effect with online forums.

What you realize by reading people's opinions is that people, in general, are actually not as nice as you might think. Lots of people live lies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2015, 07:10 AM

208 posts, read 257,845 times
The people who seem to thrive on these forums are the people with the "popular" opinion, it seems. Which today means: "liberal", anti-God, anti religion, anything goes, entitlement, don't question me because I'm entitled to live XYZ way or else you are being judgmental.

So, these people with the "popular" viewpoint are the ones who seem to control the forums. They shoot down everyone who is the least bit different. Talk about conformity! It's like being forced to live in a cult!

Someone who has a "nonconformist" opinion or lives differently from the "popular" way today seems to get pounced on here. Sometimes our viewpoints are even deleted.

I find it to be very strange, almost like no freedom of expression is allowed unless you are liberal and spout the popular viewpont.

Old 05-21-2015, 08:49 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire1955 View Post
I thought the same thing. It's not so much somebody appearing abrasive or whatever, as much as them having the need to do it in seemingly every subform on here. (Not counting politics).
Which is why I just lurk here & there. There is another poster who is always the first or second to respond to so many different topics throughout cd with short, smart aleck statements, critical of whatever post she's following, which is usually the thread-starter because it looks like she sits there 24-7 waiting for new threads to be created all over CD. Makes me wish there was a daily limit on posts like there is for giving rep points because I'd read & post on the various topics on cd more often if it wasn't virtually guaranteed that the same person/people wouldn't have the first or second uppity response in so many topics.
^^^You make some very good points. There are some posters who have to be the center of
attention, no matter what. Then there are some who dominate certain topics - similar to cliques.

Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
What you realize by reading people's opinions is that people, in general, are actually not as nice as you might think. Lots of people live lies.
^^^Also true.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:03 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,673,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy2010 View Post
The people who seem to thrive on these forums are the people with the "popular" opinion, it seems. Which today means: "liberal", anti-God, anti religion, anything goes, entitlement, don't question me because I'm entitled to live XYZ way or else you are being judgmental.

So, these people with the "popular" viewpoint are the ones who seem to control the forums. They shoot down everyone who is the least bit different. Talk about conformity! It's like being forced to live in a cult!

Someone who has a "nonconformist" opinion or lives differently from the "popular" way today seems to get pounced on here. Sometimes our viewpoints are even deleted.

I find it to be very strange, almost like no freedom of expression is allowed unless you are liberal and spout the popular viewpont.
Hah.. I don't know if that is so true here, but if you want to have it be more your way, you should head on over to the site, "SodaHead".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology