Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2015, 10:53 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,283,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This is not specific to C-D, but for all message boards in general where there is some level of anonymity.

IRL, people generally seem pleasant, kind, helpful, etc. to one another. On anonymous message boards, I seem to see the opposite at times. A fair amount of people are vindictive, hurtful, nasty, etc., to one another. IRL, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. On message boards, we're always skeptical and critical of the person who presents an issue.

Do you think that this is the real person, and that the kind, hospitable person we see IRL is a public persona? Or do you think there is something about anonymous forums that brings this vitriol to light and encourages people to treat each other differently than they would IRL?

I'm curious about what your thoughts are on this.
Because you can hide a lie and do whatever you want without anyone knowing if you are portraying yourself truthfully or not. If there is any a$$hole in you, it's easy to sit behind the keyboard and do whatever you want.

I can tell you that what I portray on any message board is my true self, but only the person on the other end can believe it or not.

Until the IP Police crack down and start knocking on the doors of the dickheads who post on forums, then you join at your own risk and peril of being attacked sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 11:51 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
I am sure I have rubbed people the wrong way and in real life I may say more than I do online. I try to think out my responses more and sometimes actually not make a post or edit it because I thought better of it. I think there are a good number of trolls and flamers on here as there are some who don't know any better. I do think some take liberties with being online vs in person but I imagine some are just as nasty in real life.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:31 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Yes. Lack of personal accountability.
^ This - or at least part of it.

Anonymity provides a layer of security. Even in real life. Be it in your car, with strangers etc.

But context also plays a role. It's sometimes hard to get that from written text, or easy to read into it too much.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:10 PM

50,367 posts, read 63,948,892 times
Sometimes, it is very freeing to vent my less than PC feelings to strangers. I would not, for example, say something critical about someone's political opinion in person, but I will say what I really think as an anonymous person.

Old 01-12-2015, 01:43 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
Quote:
This is not specific to C-D, but for all message boards in general where there is some level of anonymity.

IRL, people generally seem pleasant, kind, helpful, etc. to one another. On anonymous message boards, I seem to see the opposite at times. A fair amount of people are vindictive, hurtful, nasty, etc., to one another. IRL, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. On message boards, we're always skeptical and critical of the person who presents an issue.

Do you think that this is the real person, and that the kind, hospitable person we see IRL is a public persona? Or do you think there is something about anonymous forums that brings this vitriol to light and encourages people to treat each other differently than they would IRL?

When you figure it out, let me know.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM

20,382 posts, read 14,651,390 times
It's aggravating, more to me here than most places I go online. Probably because more of my online interaction is with social media, not a bunch of people that I really, really don't know and who really do not know me.

And aside from people being just nasty, there is also the problem that tone does not convey in text necessarily. It is easy to misunderstand something that someone types, more I think than if you're face to face also getting the nonverbal cues. I've had people misunderstand what I was trying to say, and when I attempt to explain more clearly, that sets it up as though I'm just being argumentative. I've also misunderstood others, or suspected that others were misunderstanding something when they weren't. And then you have posters from various nations, who speak various native languages, and speak from the perspective of different cultures...which isn't a bad thing, it just sometimes leads to people not really being on the same page.

I imagine that many of the negative and/or unpleasant interactions here begin as simple lack of understanding among people...and that it is misunderstanding of a kind that is more native to the internet than face to face human contact.

Also, on the internet, no one will punch anyone in the face for being a you-know-what.

There is that...

Old 01-12-2015, 05:21 PM

96 posts, read 125,154 times
Quote:

I've seen it even on City Data, political forums, Christian forums, biker forums, etc...

I've seen mods channeling the nastiness to other posters, and posters attacking each other.

I sum it up that we live in a wicked world where everyone wants to be right/prideful/glorified. Given the right conditions, the true self is exposed. Unfortunately, to glorify yourself, you have to destroy others in the process. Everyone will have to give an account for their actions before God. I've changed this year, no more flaming or nasty post. Also, I wont be back to this board, or any other message board either. Life is too short for that. There is a human being on the other side of the computer, and I don't want to be guilty before God for my words hurting others.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:32 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Yeah, people think they can hide here but that is a joke because CD still has your IP address and Google or Google plus or Chrome has your Id. SO, I don't get all this "anonimity" gauze :/

Old 01-12-2015, 05:34 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It's aggravating, more to me here than most places I go online. Probably because more of my online interaction is with social media, not a bunch of people that I really, really don't know and who really do not know me.

And aside from people being just nasty, there is also the problem that tone does not convey in text necessarily. It is easy to misunderstand something that someone types, more I think than if you're face to face also getting the nonverbal cues. I've had people misunderstand what I was trying to say, and when I attempt to explain more clearly, that sets it up as though I'm just being argumentative. I've also misunderstood others, or suspected that others were misunderstanding something when they weren't. And then you have posters from various nations, who speak various native languages, and speak from the perspective of different cultures...which isn't a bad thing, it just sometimes leads to people not really being on the same page.

I imagine that many of the negative and/or unpleasant interactions here begin as simple lack of understanding among people...and that it is misunderstanding of a kind that is more native to the internet than face to face human contact.

Also, on the internet, no one will punch anyone in the face for being a you-know-what.

There is that...
BBM- People are that way whether they know you or not.

Old 01-12-2015, 05:53 PM

677 posts, read 672,621 times
Usually people are labeled "a-hole, troll, angry, cellar dweller, racist, misogynist, homophobe, etc" because they share differing views on race, religion, social issues, politics, etc with those who think they're the smartest person in the room. It's the "If you don't share my pc views, you're a bad person" syndrome.
They're so accustomed to being surrounded by pc bs IRL, that when they read something that upsets their perfect view of the world on the internet, their head almost explodes.

Last edited by Better Than You; 01-12-2015 at 06:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology