Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:10 AM

2,387 posts, read 2,210,638 times

Advertisements

This is not specific to C-D, but for all message boards in general where there is some level of anonymity.

IRL, people generally seem pleasant, kind, helpful, etc. to one another. On anonymous message boards, I seem to see the opposite at times. A fair amount of people are vindictive, hurtful, nasty, etc., to one another. IRL, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. On message boards, we're always skeptical and critical of the person who presents an issue.

Do you think that this is the real person, and that the kind, hospitable person we see IRL is a public persona? Or do you think there is something about anonymous forums that brings this vitriol to light and encourages people to treat each other differently than they would IRL?

I'm curious about what your thoughts are on this.

Last edited by Lafleur; 01-10-2015 at 11:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 12:41 PM

30,489 posts, read 16,202,768 times
I've wondered that too.

hate to say it but I think anonymity opens the door to the real person. Granted we all have off days, and sometimes the written word sounds harsher than intended.

Old 01-10-2015, 12:50 PM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
It's a real problem and I think it has everything to do with the anonymity factor more than anything else. Everyone fantasizes at some point that they are someone else and like PAhippo said it opens the door to the real person who has always wanted to say these things to certain people and just couldn't do it IRL. But then again, there are people here from all over the world and there is bound to be some clashing of minds and opinions, that's for sure.

I've learned over the years to stay out of forums that turn me into a sarcastic and rude monster.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
I'm glad the Ignore feature is there and I suggest all good people on this board use it.

I saddens me how much my list has grown over time. It got to the point where I refuse to post on certain City-Data forum sections anymore in order to cut down on the times I have to see certain members names appear. These members, who IMO are the some of the "worst" this board has to offer, give me bad feeling.

But I don't have to read what they have to say anymore. If they are quoted I try my best to just ignore.

Thank goodness there are plenty of good posters and people here to keep my interest alive.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:20 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,842,888 times
Ah they just have typing muscles.Wanna see my finger flex?

Old 01-10-2015, 03:25 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,108,380 times
There's been recent studies and reports on this type of behaviour.

I think they're just attention seekers.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:28 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
This is not specific to C-D, but for all message boards in general where there is some level of anonymity.

IRL, people generally seem pleasant, kind, helpful, etc. to one another. On anonymous message boards, I seem to see the opposite at times. A fair amount of people are vindictive, hurtful, nasty, etc., to one another. IRL, we tend to give people the benefit of the doubt. On message boards, we're always skeptical and critical of the person who presents an issue.

Do you think that this is the real person, and that the kind, hospitable person we see IRL is a public persona? Or do you think there is something about anonymous forums that brings this vitriol to light and encourages people to treat each other differently than they would IRL?

Some of what is considered abrasive by others when reading it is not abrasive in real life because of the tone and environment when the same words are used. When one is reading the same words as spoken they dynamic is different.
I am often accused of being abrasive and judgemental with no compassion. The truth is I am very direct, straight forward and to the point everywhere so when reading what I have written it just sounds different than it would if I was actually using my voice to talk to you.

Then there are those posts that are just mean which is everywhere not just here.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:32 PM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Quote:

I'm going to disagree because in my experience that's how there are IRL. Those members I have on Ignore, plus many others that post on these boards, I would not want to have any contact with whatsoever.

I've met several message board posters through the 15 years I have been posting and I find them to be pretty much the same IRL as they are behind the name they are posting under.

I have never had an issue when meeting anyone at these meetings/gatherings but I was glad certain posters were not interested in any face to face meetings.
That told me a lot right there.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,908,774 times
Quote:
Or do you think there is something about anonymous forums that brings this vitriol to light and encourages people to treat each other differently than they would IRL?
Yes. Lack of personal accountability.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:23 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:

Character is what you do when no one is watching. Boards like this are like no one is watching because no one knows who we are. I think you see the true person come out.

Something I've noticed is that when I walk into my school building kids are more likely to hold the door for me (I bring a pile of work home and back to work the next day) IF A) the principal or someone higher up is around or B) their parents haven't pulled away from the building yet. I've started really paying attention to when kids just ignore that I'm struggling with the stuff I carry and when they help. Now some kids help all the time. It's just their nature but others it's very situational. I think boards are like that. I know I'm more likely to say what I'm thinking here than I would be IRL. IRL I'm worried about what others will think. I often wonder if other people think the things I do but I'm not brave enough to ask IRL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology