Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
And there's the rub. Different people have different opinions and as I said, language evolves. You go over to Susan's Place and start tossing around "transsexual" and see how that goes. It's increasingly out of favour in the trans community as well as the medical community: both of which I am part of.

That said I do appreciate the fact that you are supportive, even if we disagree over some of the linguistics involved.
Thats true however you cant force people to walk on proverbial egg shells and you cant expect everyone to be able to read your mind either. Ultimately, you just have to shrug it off sometimes.

As to the last, youre welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inderocker View Post
Sorry, what I mean is, mentally, what's the difference between someone who feels a limb is alien to them and wants it surgically removed and someone who feels they are trapped I the wrong body and wants to surgically change that?
thats above my pay grade.

Old 01-14-2015, 03:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 911,971 times
Without inciting disgruntled replies, how did transgender inviduals cope with this, say, back in ancient times? Or did they have to just deal with it?

Old 01-14-2015, 04:01 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,509,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Without inciting disgruntled replies, how did transgender inviduals cope with this, say, back in ancient times? Or did they have to just deal with it?
There are herbs that were used by various cultures to change the body. The wearing of clothing, jewelry, and taking on of social roles of the identified gender. In many cultures transgendered people were revered. The Two-Spirits of the Native Americans, for example. There are many examples of such things. It wasn't really until the coming of Western missionaries that these cultures began to change from reverence to religious-based bigotry.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:06 PM

1,431 posts, read 911,971 times
Quote:
There are herbs that were used by various cultures to change the body. The wearing of clothing, jewelry, and taking on of social roles of the identified gender. In many cultures transgendered people were revered. The Two-Spirits of the Native Americans, for example. There are many examples of such things. It wasn't really until the coming of Western missionaries that these cultures began to change from reverence to religious-based bigotry.
Cool, I learned something new today. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Cool, I learned something new today. Thank you.
My pleasure.

I've lived and worked amongst American indigenous peoples for years now and have seen both sides of the culture - the reverence for Two-Spirits amongst the Navajo and the homophobia and transphobia as well as the same with Alaskan Natives (called aranu'tiq by the Chugach Yup'ik).

The 'two-spirit' people of indigenous North Americans | Music | The Guardian

Two Spirit: The Story of a Movement Unfolds - Native Peoples - May-June 2014 - Native Peoples

Old 01-14-2015, 10:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,058 times
I'll just leave this here. Johns Hopkins Psychiatrist: Transgender is

Old 01-14-2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
And I'll just tell you that McHugh is quack and conservative catholic and a bigot. His position is from religious hatred and not science so feel free to leave it wherever you want. I suggest the litter box.

Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 PM

1,770 posts, read 1,661,058 times
Quote:
And I'll just tell you that McHugh is quack and conservative catholic and a bigot. His position is from religious hatred and not science so feel free to leave it wherever you want. I suggest the litter box.
He is a quack because he holds a different viewpoint from you? By the way, the "statistic" that you posted about the suicide rate is WAY off.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...port-Final.pdf

Last edited by Iaskwhy; 01-14-2015 at 10:33 PM..

Old 01-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaskwhy View Post
He is a quack because he holds a different viewpoint from you? By the way, the "statistic" that you posted about the suicide rate is WAY off.

http://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.ed...port-Final.pdf
No, it isn't and he's well-known in the community for being a bigot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology