Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 PM

4,475 posts, read 6,679,640 times

Advertisements

I have no idea how it feels to be black, or 10' tall, or have gills, or fly through the air....

doesnt mean im going to spend my life trying to wrap my head around any of it. Things simply ARE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 01:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,132,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverunner17 View Post
**If mods feel this isn't appropriate, please feel free to delete it. I mean no harm or "attacking" of any individuals. Just curious. **

One thing I've wondered for years is the whole "Transgender" deal in human sexuality. I completely understand homosexuality and bisexuality. You're attracted to who you're attracted to.

What I don't get is the whole "I'm a dude, but feel like a girl" (or vice versa) thing. I'm a guy. When I'm turned on, I get an erection. I assume that these guys are the same way as it's an automatic function of the male body.

I just can't wrap my head around "Let's go chop my penis off and put a hole there instead" thing as I'm not sure how having a fake Vagina would help.

I also don't understand since gender roles as we know it are a product of human creation. The clothing we wear, makeup, etc, is all a product of humans assigning one thing to a certain gender, which isn't biological at all. I mean, I'm the same size as my girlfriend, and have worn some of her clothes and don't feel different. And I did a few plays in the past and have worn makeup and haven't feel any more "feminine" than normal.

Maybe I'm oversimplifying things?

Is Transgenderism more of a Psycological thing more than a physical?
I think it's a combination. What a person likes or dislikes may be based on their inborn tendencies. Sometimes we are copy cats and we just see what others are doing and copy their behavior and start liking things or disliking things. I think that's why guys sometimes brainwash themselves into NOT liking pink (even though they naturally actually would have liked it if they allowed themselves to feel that way).

So what if you're born in a man's body, but you actually feel soft, feminine, nurturing and you want to express that side of yourself, and you don't like guy things like sports and being rude :-) and clueless (sorry, couldn't resist)

Or what if a guy loves jewelry (just like a woman), but he is not supposed to wear them because "guys don't do that"?

Some women are really gruff and tough like guys. They would probably prefer guy like things. But unfortunately they are told: you are wearing a woman's body, you can't do these things.

So people feel that they can't express who they really are, be themselves, do things they like... because they are not supposed to... because they are told that they are in the wrong kind of a body, they are told "girls don't do that, so stop doing that"

So then this "girl" wants to do manly things and wants to be approved, so she changes into a man's body. Now it should be ok for her/him to do that, now she is in the right kind of a body for this type of behavior.

Right? Wrong. People still don't approve. So it's a no win situation for them.

But eventually people will probably understand and learn and it will become ok. So they would have accomplished what they wanted: to be who they are. For other people it's so easy, you don't have to change anything, you just act as who you are. But for those others...it's a whole battle... just to be who they are (and be accepted).

Old 01-13-2015, 01:41 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,507,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Are you incapable of even the slightest bit of research???

XX is Female. XY is Male. Always has been. Always will be.

I can only assume that it was a typo on your part...
Oh FFS. So you took secondary school Biology and now you're an expert? Quit whilst you're behind, Sparky.

XX male syndrome definition - MedicineNet - Health and Medical Information Produced by Doctors

46,XX testicular disorder of sex development - Genetics Home Reference

Swyer syndrome - Genetics Home Reference

XY gonadal dysgenesis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Androgen insensitivity syndrome - Genetics Home Reference

Stop posting before you embarrass yourself more than you have. Genetics are not the tyrant and dictator of destiny you think they are and never have been.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveWisdom View Post
I think it's a combination. What a person likes or dislikes may be based on their inborn tendencies. Sometimes we are copy cats and we just see what others are doing and copy their behavior and start liking things or disliking things. I think that's why guys sometimes brainwash themselves into NOT liking pink (even though they naturally actually would have liked it if they allowed themselves to feel that way).

So what if you're born in a man's body, but you actually feel soft, feminine, nurturing and you want to express that side of yourself, and you don't like guy things like sports and being rude :-) and clueless (sorry, couldn't resist)

Or what if a guy loves jewelry (just like a woman), but he is not supposed to wear them because "guys don't do that"?

Some women are really gruff and tough like guys. They would probably prefer guy like things. But unfortunately they are told: you are wearing a woman's body, you can't do these things.

So people feel that they can't express who they really are, be themselves, do things they like... because they are not supposed to... because they are in the wrong type of a body and it's not allowed for people in this type of a body to do these things...
pretty much

Old 01-13-2015, 01:46 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,354,413 times
I dunno. I feel like gender is an artificial construct. I'm a woman, but I don't feel terribly bound by the traditional expectations of my gender. And I certainly don't act like a typical woman. I like my body as it is though, and I'm heterosexual.

I understand that transsexuals feel liek they are trapped in the wrong type of body, but I kinda wonder if as we reject gendered expectations more and more, more transsexuals will opt to forgo surgery. For me, I don't see gender as being linked to my sex necessarily or a significant part of my identity, so I think that's why I don't get the whole transsexual thing on a personal level.

But if statistics show that there are long-term good psychological outcomes for people who undergo sex changes, then it's hard to argue with the results.

Old 01-13-2015, 01:47 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,507,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
I dunno. I feel like gender is an artificial construct. I'm a woman, but I don't feel terribly bound by the traditional expectations of my gender. And I certainly don't act like a typical woman. I like my body as it is though, and I'm heterosexual.

I understand that transsexuals feel liek they are trapped in the wrong type of body, but I kinda wonder if as we reject gendered expectations more and more, more transsexuals will opt to forgo surgery. For me, I don't see gender as being linked to my sex necessarily or a significant part of my identity, so I think that's why I don't get the whole transsexual thing on a personal level.

But if statistics show that there are long-term good psychological outcomes for people who undergo sex changes, then it's hard to argue with the results.
41% of transpeople attempt suicide. The numbers drop to about 1.6% post-transition. Hmm...no wonder the AMA and APA say transition is the only successful treatment for gender dysphoria.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:02 PM

Anyone remember when they were children? How you simply accepted everything with an open mind? How things didnt matter to you as long as you got to go out and play?

Perhaps thats what we all need to be like again.

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,764,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
They just do it for attention. They aren't "born that way."
Really?
They do it for attention so that they can be harassed verbally and sometime abused physically?

Old 01-13-2015, 02:33 PM

2,202 posts, read 2,300,268 times
I have heard (second hand) that a high % of transexuals (going from male to 'female' become lesbians..

Just stirring the pot..

Old 01-13-2015, 02:41 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,354,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafood Junky View Post
I have heard (second hand) that a high % of transexuals (going from male to 'female' become lesbians..

Just stirring the pot..
Sexual orientation is not necessarily linked to gender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology