Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 07:48 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
This thread ignores human evolution. You think that a cave man somewhere suddenly got the idea to open up a swingers club? Reproduction simply developed in the most efficient way to ensure the best evolution of the human species, this includes sexual selection that encourages favorable traits to ensure the best survival of the species. When did our ancestors start finding it enjoyable? Probably back before they crawled out of the ocean to become bipods or moved from cross-fertilization reproduction to higher levels of reproduction.

The question does not make sense in the context of human evolution because it becomes a "what comes first, chicken or egg" type discussion, but it can be rephrased into a cultural question of sorts.
I think it could have been a swinger's club. Did communities share sex as some counter cultural types do now or were we always in serial monogamous relationships to pass on property rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 08:18 AM

3,603 posts, read 5,936,721 times
I would agree that sex was always about pleasure and instinct.

It was only later that we figured out that sex is where babies come from. That was one step in human intellectual evolution to a higher plane.

The step I wish i could get to is to remove the desire for pleasure completely. With human evolution it is now possible to breed without sex. Humans will become a much higher species if they can completely remove desire and reproduce purely through artificial means. If all sexual energy instead went towards development of the intellect, there would be nothing the new godlike species could not obtain.

Sex keeps us imprisoned to this planet and to this lower plane of existence.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:43 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,415,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
Sex keeps us imprisoned to this planet and to this lower plane of existence.
Plane!?!? You must be a member of the "Mile High Club". Lucky duck.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 AM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmFest View Post
I think it was for reproductive purposes. If humans didn't know the act would cause pregnancy, how would the male know that the female's kid is his and raise and protect the kid?
They didn't. "Family" structure was quite a bit different back then.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:24 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
My theory is that it happened the first time a man hugged/grabbed A woman and realized that it felt good.... I'll leave the rest to your imagination
Quote:
I feel bad for all the men before him.
I think you missed the point. There were no men before the first man who enjoyed sex!

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
I think it was for reproductive purposes. If humans didn't know the act would cause pregnancy, how would the male know that the female's kid is his and raise and protect the kid?
By family likeness and by smell. Families members all look like each other and it's not by accident.

Also, even modern men can literally smell that a child is their own biological offspring without getting a paternity test.

Old 01-19-2015, 10:40 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,591 times
Sex has a social function that increases bonding and brings people together... Bonobos, one of our closest relatives in the animal kingdom, share the same behavior.

This is why homosexuality and casual sex are perfectly natural, although our instincts come into conflict with our intellects and social conditioning (which tell us sex can spread disease and homosexuality can lead to ostracism), which means we're debating this issue instead of having a massive orgy right now.

Old 01-19-2015, 01:42 PM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
If me and a young woman grow up together (in ancient times), love each other, never see others having sex and never have it explained to us, would we instinctively know what to do?

Old 01-19-2015, 02:03 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,069,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
If me and a young woman grow up together (in ancient times), love each other, never see others having sex and never have it explained to us, would we instinctively know what to do?
Where do you think you'd be living that you wouldn't see people having sex? It's not like the average ancient person lived in a house with separate bedrooms. More like several families all lived together in the same room. If they wanted to get busy they'd be doing so in full view of others.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
Quote:
I think I know what you're saying. You probably were trying to get to this:

I can see that now.

And then I guess at some point humans decided they wanted to avoid the side effect and started looking for contraceptive methods. Sounds about right?
When they figured out that sex caused pregnancy, yes. And the first form of birth control was most likely abstinence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology