Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:37 AM

9,131 posts, read 20,004,714 times

Advertisements

I am not sure whether narcissism is truly increasing, or whether social media has just enabled it to come out and be more prevalent to the general population.

People used to crave their 15 minutes of fame, but now they can really get it just by going viral on youtube, facebook, or anything else.

Either way, I think there has been a disturbing trend in trying to falsely prop up the self esteem of our kids. Instead of providing structure, rules, and expectations in which they can flourish as individuals but still be responsible, polite, and appropriate, people instead through the rules out the window (maybe because it is easier, maybe to be PC, I do not know), and instead let the kids run their households. (not everyone of course, but I have seen enough parents whose lives are totally run by their kids, and not the other way around)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 10:37 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,354,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
There's been no shortage of articles and books claiming that we're creating a culture of increasing Narcissism (both the everyday 'garden-variety' and the 'clinical' kind).

For example, signs that Narcissism is arguably on the increase, could include things like the growing lack of empathy towards others (i.e. attitudes re: 'underclass' folks, prisons, the use of 'torture', etc.), and the rising sense of "entitlement" (aka, "you owe me", "I'm Special", or "Get outta my way!").

Or maybe you're among those who feel that nothing's really changed and it's still just typical human nature. But if there is something "different" going on, then how are you noticing it in your day-to-day? And what, if anything, should we do about it?
Well, I can think of some possibilities for what you call the "garden-variety":

1. The emphasis on "me, myself, and I" that I've heard has been going around for decades... like the 'self-esteem' movement that's been in schools- you don't have to earn anything, everybody gets a trophy, games don't have winners and losers, etc.; and the 'self-improvement' movement that's been getting people to focus on Themselves, etc.

2. The modern concept that you're never supposed to say anything is Wrong- even crimes are chalked up to 'poor choices' and 'bad decisions' rather than saying certain actions are Wrong.

3. (this will give me more enemies than I already have)- fewer people today realize the importance of babies and little children bonding with their parent or parents. Not only is the bond not there, neither is the chance to teach values.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 AM

732 posts, read 968,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temeku View Post
Definitely. We're in the "decade of the selfie" for crying out loud. I can't wait for it to bite the dust, however and whenever it happens.

Heck, this entire City-Data forum reeks of narcissistic, arrogant individuals who believe they're better than everyone else. They start topics complaining about how other people are different than they are, and that something must be wrong with those "inferior" people.
They're psychopaths first, narcissists second.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:15 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,393,934 times
The lack of a moral code is what drives people to think too highly of themselves.

The virtue of "humility" is often not well seen by psychologists, life coaches and others, but it's necessary.

I've found out that people who believe in some sort of divinity (Christianity mostly) practice more empathy than others.

The media wants to induce us to get the best cars, the best houses, and to thrive for money and power. Heck when the damn Kardashians are the inspiration for young girls and women. When Miley Cyrus is the favorite artist among girls...you know something's wrong.

As someone said earlier, the culture of the "selfie", men and women "showing off" on social media, that's a sign people just wanna live empty lives.

It's like "The Fight Club" line all over:

Old 01-23-2015, 05:37 AM

766 posts, read 1,394,707 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-t...yt-cl=84503534

Old 01-23-2015, 05:38 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-c...-ts=1421914688

Old 01-23-2015, 05:40 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAmLYyM3W-0

Old 01-23-2015, 06:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
I agree with the OP and the other posters. We live in a self indulgent, me, me, I, I, world.

My father always loved taking pictures, when the Polaroid camera came out, he was in heaven, instant memories...the difference is he generally only took pictures on special occasions or on a vacation, not every ten minutes and certainly not of himself.

Recently I was at the Hard Rock, went to the ladies room, got myself in a stall, and then I hear click, being nosey, I just stood there, when I hear the next door open, I opened mine and step out...out comes a young girl maybe 21, she had just taken a selfie in the stall, probably sitting on the pot..Good Grief! She headed out the door, never bothered to wash her hands, Yuck, that's another rant...anyway I went back in my stall and as they say "The rest is history".

Old 01-23-2015, 06:13 AM

2,289 posts, read 5,773,237 times
Skywalker...I agree with this quote:It's like "The Fight Club" line all over:

However,when I read it, I get thrown off when I hit the word "Porpuse".

IMO, most everyone today is waiting to be discovered and that they are Hollywood material! And, the Kardasian's..don't get me started on that topic!

Old 01-23-2015, 06:34 AM

1,078 posts, read 1,414,423 times
Man, I can't speak for the world in general, but it seems to me we have more cry babies, cupcakes, softer individuals, then ever before. The people today need "everything" got have it now attitudes, over complicated, high maintenance, heavy drama, in a hurry to get there that just makes laugh aloud because these people for the most part are better educated, smarter, and with a good plan, they can have their career paths lined out and have it made with a little patience down the road, yet, their still simple stupid, spoiled little brats, that have no sense of core values or leadership because all they care about is themselves. Some one said, me first attitude and their right on with that assessment, I will say this, all is not lost, because there are young people out there under 40 years old who are the "Rare Breed" the ones who make the cut.

The young men and woman who run into the chaos, when everyone else is busy running away. The ones who are not afraid to go back to lend a helping hand, the ones who place others ahead of themselves, as for living with less, I can dig it, less sometimes is better for me, I can go without, I have before, I still haven't bought that boat I always wanted, been saving the last twenty years, lol. I still haven't bought that charger I always wanted, I still haven't gone to Europe, but, I am happy in my skin and grateful for my family and friends, and I can have anything that I want, I take greater pleasure in the fact, that I buy for others, and sometimes..

I treat myself a little bit, lol. So there it is..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology