Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 05:18 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,187,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyontheInternet View Post
Why does it seem like some people are so hostile/critical towards others?
A power trip and a means of unleashing their frustrations, insecurities/flaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2015, 04:22 PM

4,670 posts, read 5,062,289 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like some people are so hostile/critical towards others? The generic answers seems to be "they're insecure", but aren't we all? Some people are very insecure, but choose not to point out the flaws in other people.

My dad is one of these critics. Any opinion that is different than his is immediately shut down. Anyone who doesn't live life like he does is an idiot. He even treats his own father this way (yet I could never say anything bad about him).

I have a coworker who loves to point out the flaws in others. He's always trash talking everyone behind their backs "X is a slow worker"/"Y sucks at this"/etc. It only makes me wonder what he says about me.
Because they are *******s.

Old 02-02-2015, 05:38 AM

619 posts, read 648,677 times
Quote:
Why does it seem like some people are so hostile/critical towards others? The generic answers seems to be "they're insecure", but aren't we all? Some people are very insecure, but choose not to point out the flaws in other people.

My dad is one of these critics. Any opinion that is different than his is immediately shut down. Anyone who doesn't live life like he does is an idiot. He even treats his own father this way (yet I could never say anything bad about him).

I have a coworker who loves to point out the flaws in others. He's always trash talking everyone behind their backs "X is a slow worker"/"Y sucks at this"/etc. It only makes me wonder what he says about me.
The most critical people I know are less insecure and more frustrated with life, their role in life, what they consider success and their lack of "success". These people have no ability to find joy in other people's accomplishments or happiness. The old adage of "Misery loves company" seems applicable here as these are the people in my life that aren't fully happy in their relationship with me unless they've managed to make me feel like less of a person, to feel less pride in my self.

It could be insecurity, but for me...it comes off as frustration.

Old 02-03-2015, 08:41 AM

6,367 posts, read 6,220,521 times
IDK.... but maybe we could poll those who always complain about others in the "non romantic relationship" forum and ask them why they are such jerks!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:08 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,222,509 times
Note there ARE times when it is super good to be highly critical of another person - That is for safety in a dangerous environment - working with dangerous power tools, around dangerous chemicals, electricity, etc.

So while I am not a critical person in other parts of my life, if I am supervising or training someone to work with dangerous tools, I SCREAM BLOODY MURDER if I see them about to do something stupid [dangerous]. They don't like it and I apologize for having to be so critical/nasty, but they understand it is for their own good.

I also tell a couple of stories about fingers being cut off and so forth. That helps people understand why it is important for an experienced person* to be watching their work and yelling at them every now and then.

*Experienced person = someone who once did stupid things themselves and was injured!

Old 02-03-2015, 09:30 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,076,813 times
This might not be the case all the time, but I feel it's because it's a macho mentality and some people just want to start a fight wherever they feel like it.
Whether it's road rage, or like what's happened at my work regarding something as mundane as parking a truck.
A shouting match ensues, some choice words sparks the aggressor into a predatory strike mode, and then it all goes to hell from there.

When it's come close to this one too many times like it has for me, it's better to just run away and disappear for a few days.
Sure you might get fired from your job for "walking off", but chances for hire elsewhere won't be as bad if there wasn't an arrest involved.
After a little over two years of being where I'm at, I'm close to jetting on my own if I'm not transferred or have my work assignment switched.

But, sticking with the original question, high testosterone levels and the need to pick on the physically or mentally weak.

Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,510,395 times
Truth is, there are some very stupid people in this world that do some very stupid things.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:12 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,171,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Truth is, there are some very stupid people in this world that do some very stupid things.
Well if you're intent on focusing on the worst you will find the worst. People who are over critical tend to see the worst in people and automatically assume that most people are morons that can't function without their input and supervision. It actually says more about them and their egos then those who they criticize.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:11 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,510,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
Well if you're intent on focusing on the worst you will find the worst. People who are over critical tend to see the worst in people and automatically assume that most people are morons that can't function without their input and supervision. It actually says more about them and their egos then those who they criticize.
I don't "focus on the worst", but in situations where its quite evident you cant help but notice it.

Old 02-05-2015, 08:25 AM

820 posts, read 1,012,078 times
Quote:

Most of these previous answers are presuming. Most likely from young kids with little real life experience, comprehension of human behavior or understanding. He most likely is an intelligent person but has been misled like so many others..

He has something called xenophobia which is different than just being critical of others. He may also have other psychological disorders which are not diagnosed. The type of environment of America today is a breeding ground of dysfunction and hypocrisy. Not everyone likes comparing apples and oranges all day either nor does everyone want to live in a fascist nation full of brainwashed and addicted zombies. There has always been that type of gossipy and xenophobic behavior however. See: Archie Bunker

Last edited by Know Nonsense; 02-05-2015 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: Truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology