U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2015, 10:39 PM

94 posts, read 144,592 times

Advertisements

When I see a Tesla S car, I think it looks extremely beautiful. When I see a Prius, I think it looks ugly.

Now, I'm asking myself, what make me think the Tesla as more beautiful than the Prius. Is it because the Tesla cost $90,000 and the Prius cost $20,000? (Maybe it's the design, maybe not)

If the design of the Tesla S and Prius switch(the value of the car stay the same), will the way we see thing change? If the Tesla S was designed like a Prius. Would we say the Prius design is more beautiful?

Last edited by neoiey; 01-29-2015 at 11:25 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2015, 11:00 PM

3,482 posts, read 3,231,349 times
Yes it is the design. Switch the form factor and one will be more aesthetically pleasing due to its ratios of wheelbase roofline, chassis etc... overall balance and relationship with terra firma.

It's sort of like feng shui is to outdoor spatial arrangements as the golden ratio (1.6183333) is to nature and the human form factor a la Da Vinci's man in a circle. All spatial relationships ratios I surmise are built on this ratio (Also called the Fibonacci sequence).

Old 01-29-2015, 11:27 PM

94 posts, read 144,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciceropolo View Post
Yes it is the design. Switch the form factor and one will be more aesthetically pleasing due to its ratios of wheelbase roofline, chassis etc... overall balance and relationship with terra firma.
I miss an important element of this question. It's the value of the object. Do human see thing more beautiful because it worth more?

Old 01-30-2015, 12:03 AM

3,482 posts, read 3,231,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
I miss an important element of this question. It's the value of the object. Do human see thing more beautiful because it worth more?
Are you saying value as in total cost to produce? And or purchase? Or in total utility value as in total cost of life cycle?

An interesting study would be to take the 'manufacturer' identifiers off the object to eliminate the perceptions foisted upon people via advertising. I still say the better design would remain prominent in all cumulative variables: fit / finish, materials, ride, handling, etc...

If the realm of determining is 'utility value' it will likely change based on those variables determined to be of 'value' to the consumer of the product. For example:
Basic mode of transport being more important than image, versus, those with higher value of image and aesthetics and less concern about basic mode of transportation from point a to point b.

If total cost of ownership over expected life cycle is close, it is easy to chose between the two even with vast difference in purchase price. If not the price obvious weighs into any cost conscious decision maker and then a cost benefits analysis would (logically) be conducted (in the absence of advertising perception).

When I look at the two vehicles the Prius looks designed to maximize utility, whereas, the tesla looks designed to maximize aesthetic style.

Last edited by ciceropolo; 01-30-2015 at 12:10 AM.. Reason: additional

Old 01-30-2015, 09:54 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
34,069 posts, read 61,975,311 times
When it comes to the beauty of cars, I think it's what you are used to. For me, for example, the late 60s/early 70s cars that were around in the days that I started to be a regular driver are better looking than anything made today, though the Camaro and Challenger are bringing back that look. Talk to someone in their 80s and they might consider the mid-50s cars to be good looking. Any time a new design comes in that is radically different people consider it ugly. For example, the Pontiac Aztec, Honda Insight, Nissan Cube, and of course, the Prius. The Tesla is a vehicle with a typical design for the time, a bit sleeker but not that different from the mainstream cars such as Accord, Camry and Fusion.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:12 PM

4,195 posts, read 3,002,759 times
Judging by the pictures, the Tesla isn't much more attractive than the Prius, so I think the price-makes-pretty idea has merit. Wine's price has a proven effect on its perceived taste. Nevertheless, with cars, there are predictable aesthetic preferences, linked to things like facial preferences (front end) and presumably early-life memories.

Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 PM

33,003 posts, read 22,041,378 times
I don't think the value has anything to do with it. Sunsets are more beautiful IMO than sunrises, and neither cost a cent. I have some pieces of costume jewelry that I tihink are more beautiful than the plainer but more expensive gold pieces I have. Prius is plain, Tesla is sleek, it the other way around most would consider Prius more beautiful. Also it's in th eye of the beholder. I think Hummers are ugly, but obviously others feel differently.

Old 07-31-2015, 11:32 AM

11,823 posts, read 9,742,220 times
My new Prius's gas mileage certainly enhances its beauty to me!:-)

Old 08-02-2015, 04:04 PM

26,152 posts, read 34,664,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neoiey View Post
Not necessarily. There is a heck of a lot of artwork I wouldn't give space in my house that is worth a huge packet of money. I don't want it, no matter how much it is worth. Ditto for jewelry and furniture.

There are some multimillion dollar houses that are flat out ugly.

I think some of the really expensive cars look nice because of the elegant design, but honestly, most new cars look the same to me, no matter how much they cost. It's only when you get up into the race cars that design varies. (and I drive a cheap little plastic car that I think looks much better than some of the $40,000 cars. My car is cute!)

Old 08-03-2015, 08:17 AM

4,885 posts, read 5,309,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
I don't think the value has anything to do with it. Sunsets are more beautiful IMO than sunrises, and neither cost a cent. I have some pieces of costume jewelry that I tihink are more beautiful than the plainer but more expensive gold pieces I have.differently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Not necessarily. There is a heck of a lot of artwork I wouldn't give space in my house that is worth a huge packet of money. I don't want it, no matter how much it is worth. Ditto for jewelry and furniture.
There are some multimillion dollar houses that are flat out ugly.

I think some of the really expensive cars look nice because of the elegant design, but honestly, most new cars look the same to me, no matter how much they cost. It's only when you get up into the race cars that design varies. (and I drive a cheap little plastic car that I think looks much better than some of the $40,000 cars. My car is cute!)
Agree with ocnjgirl and oregonwood....Below is an example of some expensive items that some
think are beautiful. Imo, a Steinway beats the Heintzman piano and that $1000.00 pizza?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NHKLeXYeYY

24 Ridiculously Expensive Everyday Items | Cool Material
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology