Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 05:06 PM

722 posts, read 1,108,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
My father said it best, when he was younger there was none of this technology so young boys were forced to go outside and interact with their peers for entertainment. Those days are over.
Yes, my father grew up in that era as well. The majority of that interaction was drinking. Funny when he gave that up all those peers disappeared. At least video games are interactive. How much socializing does one do watching all those dumb programs on cable?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2015, 12:20 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,204,319 times
As some who just recently graduated college I would have to say that this is just overblown. I still see young guys being social, going out to parties and hooking up with girls and getting into relationships.

But when generalizing an entire group of people like young men especially when you already hold an antagonistic attitude towards them to begin, it far more interesting to focus on the harmless, socially awkward shut-ins even though there really isn't that many as so many of you want to believe. And even then who are they harming? Are they harming you? Are they breaking any laws?

As long as they aren't mooching off of other people and pulling their weight and have a job I have no problem with what people do in their spare time. There are far worst people out there in the world. Maybe many of you haven't met them.

Old 02-03-2015, 01:55 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
I played AD&D, Magic: The Gathering etc. and still lost my virginity.

Then again, those do require that you interact with people in person.

Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 PM

137 posts, read 144,165 times
Partially gaming, computers, etc.

Partially anti-male culture. Men are taught to reject most of their instincts as sinister from an early age. Male insecurity is at staggering levels according to many surveys..

There are worse things.

Personally I wish the average young woman was more socially awkward. Waiting in line listening to the average female communicate with her friends is truly nausea-inducing.

Old 02-07-2015, 07:41 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,197,482 times
For the record social awkwardness and poor social skills isn't just a male thing, there's lots of young women who have those same traits but because of being female they get away with it. We need to get rid of this idea that all women are social butterflies lol.

Old 02-07-2015, 08:36 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vigueur2014 View Post
Recently, I had a conversation with several females who ranged from 22-30, the topic was the number of socially awkward males of their age range. All of them date men who are at least 5 years older, but for the younger ladies, they actually date men who are 10+ years older, simply because it was too painful to date within their age. It had nothing to do with their appearances, or their financial state. What all the guys have a problem with, is when they open their mouth. The general consensus is that ever since video games became as common as TV's, that more kids grew up playing video games in their free time. It's not a problem for men who got together with their friends and competed, it is a problem for guys who came home from school, and holed up in a room, fixated to their game.

So that night we came to the conclusion that Playstation and XBox were partially responsible for the increase of social awkwardness among men. I think that because kids focus so much on playing, that parents allowed the overuse and eventual addiction to them. It was safe, since the kid was in his room, and "protected". I doubt they realized how much they would submerge themselves in that fantasy, Playstation games brought into their lives. Only someone who has seen what happens when you take away gaming from a kid, can understand the potential damage long term use could bring. IMO that gaming is like a drug, and when taken away, it puts the kid in a very dark place.

With gaming, and the internet, where communication is easily edited, it's no wonder, that kids are unable to feel comfortable in person. With the majority of conversation done in that manner, they must feel some anxiety when unable to edit what they say in person. It's not just a problem with the opposite sex, these guys are awkward among other men...It may not be the only cause, but I bet it's a leading cause of this ever growing problem.

Okay, Dr. Phil... What you are saying is ridiculous and, like Dr. Phil, is a lame attempt from you to try and impress the ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology