Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 02:24 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

I think most people develop a new personality when they step into a car.... they get angry and more confident.. they think the road belongs to them and so do parking spaces... we have many who take the disabled spaces then run out of the car into the shop...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 06:03 AM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
The largest city I've lived in had a population of about 120,000 at the time I lived there so it's not like living in a place like NYC, but that's not exactly the point here. You said your buddy parked on a completely empty street so why park under a highway if it's completely empty? That has nothing to do with the size of the city.
Parking is extremely limited in residential areas of a large city, especially at night. You park where you can, even if it means walking a little. This was the only/easiest parking available that night ... that's why we parked there. On weekends, but not weekdays, the same street gets filled up, so it's not unusual for people to park there.
The point is, the person had no reason to park that close other than to be a d*ck. And as far as legally being an ass**** and somebody doing something illegal: You're right, they have every right to be an a-hole, but they're taking a real chance because they walk away and can't hide the fact that they parked like a jerk. Although it's illegal, it's nothing to push an ice pick into a tire and drive away, it takes seconds. Nobody sees, especially on a deserted street. So go around parking like a jerk and it'll eventually catch up to you.

Last edited by Better Than You; 02-15-2015 at 06:24 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 05:51 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
So I got a reputation comment from someone anonymously saying they had chronic pain and a doctor approved placard but if I saw them on the street I wouldn't know the difference. I suffer from degenerative disc disease and am in pain more times than not. I still stand by my original statement. There may be times where it's valid to park in those spots but the folks I see are abusing the privilege.

Old 02-17-2015, 12:21 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So I got a reputation comment from someone anonymously saying they had chronic pain and a doctor approved placard but if I saw them on the street I wouldn't know the difference. I suffer from degenerative disc disease and am in pain more times than not. I still stand by my original statement. There may be times where it's valid to park in those spots but the folks I see are abusing the privilege.
I see this at work and it kills me that the one person who needs it the most (the guy has a walker!!!) rarely gets to use it.He comes in later than most people so everyone else beats him to a spot I mean everyone who parks there knows he needs it more than they do, yet they still park there!! Like I said, one woman doesnt even have a place card and she still uses it. Laziness isnt a handicap people!!

Old 02-17-2015, 04:38 PM

403 posts, read 557,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post
I see this at work and it kills me that the one person who needs it the most (the guy has a walker!!!) rarely gets to use it.He comes in later than most people so everyone else beats him to a spot I mean everyone who parks there knows he needs it more than they do, yet they still park there!! Like I said, one woman doesnt even have a place card and she still uses it. Laziness isnt a handicap people!!

I see this where I work also. We start at 11, but another department starts at 11:30. This one woman that starts at 11 with me always arrives at the last second, parks in a handicap spot, says she'll move it in a minute, then never does. Of course, if she did go move it, she'd get in trouble because we've had issues in the past of people parking where they aren't supposed to so they could get clocked in on time and then going out to move their car. Even when the 11:30 people show up, there are only about 30 cars in a lot that holds close to 400, but this woman continues to park in the handicap spot.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
Parking is extremely limited in residential areas of a large city, especially at night. You park where you can, even if it means walking a little. This was the only/easiest parking available that night ... that's why we parked there. On weekends, but not weekdays, the same street gets filled up, so it's not unusual for people to park there.
The point is, the person had no reason to park that close other than to be a d*ck. And as far as legally being an ass**** and somebody doing something illegal: You're right, they have every right to be an a-hole, but they're taking a real chance because they walk away and can't hide the fact that they parked like a jerk. Although it's illegal, it's nothing to push an ice pick into a tire and drive away, it takes seconds. Nobody sees, especially on a deserted street. So go around parking like a jerk and it'll eventually catch up to you.
I once parked in front of my house and there was an unusual car parked in front of me. Unusual as in not one that's not usually there. So I parked behind him and there was about half a car length between the front of my car and the back of his. I needed to take a shower and go out again so I was only inside for maybe 30-45 minutes. When I went back out, the other car was gone and my front-end was all bashed in and had black paint on it. I could tell the cops the make and model of the car, but had no clue on any part of the license plate #. Since then, anytime I have parked behind somebody, I make a mental note of their license plate #. That way, if a similar situation happens, I can identify the vehicle better and the police can find the person faster.

If I was to park behind you and walked wherever I was going and then came back and one of my tires was flattened, I would have your license plate #. Now obviously, that doesn't prove that it was you that did it, but you would at least have the inconvenience of being visited by the police.

I also understand that parking is extremely limited in residential areas of a large city, but you said in the first post of yours that I commented on that it was a COMPLETELY EMPTY street so where does the limited parking come into play in your situation? I also understand that you were annoyed with where the other person parked, but you parked there so why shouldn't he be allowed to park there too? You say the guy parked like a jerk and that may be true, but it had no impact on you. He was parked close to your friend's car. Your post doesn't say if it was in front of your car or behind your car. If behind you, then it shouldn't bother you at all. You and your buddy could get in the car and pull away. If in front of you, then it's only a slight inconvenience. I mean, your buddy would have had to back up. Oh the humanity. On top of all of this, it wasn't even YOUR car or YOU that were driving.

Your complaint reminds me of a person I used to work with at an old job. He bought a new Mercedes and I mean this car was just gorgeous. We worked 1st shift and he drove it to work and when he got there, he parked pretty far away to avoid the possibility of it getting dinged up. That was fine. At this job though, the parking lot would be completely full with the exception of a few spaces, generally the places of the people that would either call in or be scheduled off. So we get off work that afternoon and he sees a big pickup truck parked right next to his car and got mad about it. The guy basically had nowhere else to park. The guy that parked next to him was the type that would park in the first spot he saw without caring about how close or how far away it was. I guarantee you that this guy couldn't care less about what vehicle was parked next to him, if he saw an open spot, he was taking it as long as his truck would fit and there would be room to get out without hitting his door on the car next to him.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:34 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissapla12 View Post

Why doesn't anybody (including you) turn her in?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 AM

1,242 posts, read 1,688,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert;
There have been numerous times that my wife at 8 months pregnant would have to walk from the end of the parking lot because some douche decided they didn't feel like walking a little further.
I tend to agree with most of your post except this. Expectant mother parking is a pet peeve of mine. Being pregnant is not a disability. If you can't walk to the store, you should be on bed rest. Also, how about someone who is 6 weeks pregnant parking there. How would you ever be able to tell or police it? I do not respect those spots at all. If anything, leave them for seniors.

The other pet peeve of mine is people who park you in. The other day I had a monster truck park over the line and inches away from my door. I couldn't get into my car, so I had to crawl through the passenger side. I was so pissed. How the hell does someone do something like that?! So, I rolled down my window and put the gum I was chewing under thier door handle.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:17 PM

677 posts, read 672,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3_46041 View Post
I once parked in front of my house and there was an unusual car parked in front of me. Unusual as in not one that's not usually there. So I parked behind him and there was about half a car length between the front of my car and the back of his. I needed to take a shower and go out again so I was only inside for maybe 30-45 minutes. When I went back out, the other car was gone and my front-end was all bashed in and had black paint on it. I could tell the cops the make and model of the car, but had no clue on any part of the license plate #. Since then, anytime I have parked behind somebody, I make a mental note of their license plate #. That way, if a similar situation happens, I can identify the vehicle better and the police can find the person faster.

If I was to park behind you and walked wherever I was going and then came back and one of my tires was flattened, I would have your license plate #. Now obviously, that doesn't prove that it was you that did it, but you would at least have the inconvenience of being visited by the police.

I also understand that parking is extremely limited in residential areas of a large city, but you said in the first post of yours that I commented on that it was a COMPLETELY EMPTY street so where does the limited parking come into play in your situation? I also understand that you were annoyed with where the other person parked, but you parked there so why shouldn't he be allowed to park there too? You say the guy parked like a jerk and that may be true, but it had no impact on you. He was parked close to your friend's car. Your post doesn't say if it was in front of your car or behind your car. If behind you, then it shouldn't bother you at all. You and your buddy could get in the car and pull away. If in front of you, then it's only a slight inconvenience. I mean, your buddy would have had to back up. Oh the humanity. On top of all of this, it wasn't even YOUR car or YOU that were driving.

Your complaint reminds me of a person I used to work with at an old job. He bought a new Mercedes and I mean this car was just gorgeous. We worked 1st shift and he drove it to work and when he got there, he parked pretty far away to avoid the possibility of it getting dinged up. That was fine. At this job though, the parking lot would be completely full with the exception of a few spaces, generally the places of the people that would either call in or be scheduled off. So we get off work that afternoon and he sees a big pickup truck parked right next to his car and got mad about it. The guy basically had nowhere else to park. The guy that parked next to him was the type that would park in the first spot he saw without caring about how close or how far away it was. I guarantee you that this guy couldn't care less about what vehicle was parked next to him, if he saw an open spot, he was taking it as long as his truck would fit and there would be room to get out without hitting his door on the car next to him.
I'll just lie to the police if I have to.

Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Than You View Post
I'll just lie to the police if I have to.
So you're a coward. You will anonymously do damage to somebody's property when that person didn't do anything wrong and then you won't even be man enough to step up and admit it. Where I live, the punishment for what you want to do is a small fine, $150 I think. That's assuming it's the person's first offense. The person won't learn anything, or he'll learn the wrong lesson, if he doesn't know why it happened. If it's played off as a random act of vandalism, then the only thing the person learns is to possibly not park under the highway. The only way the person learns in your scenario is for them to know that it happened because they annoyed you with the way they parked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology