Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is a real phenomenon. We had a case of a Seattle lawyer who was keying cars because they were parked straddling the lines. The lot attendant set up a sting operation and caught him in the act, and he was caught.
Local News | Seattle attorney tearfully pleads guilty to 'keying' parked cars | Seattle Times Newspaper

Part of the problem is that vehicles have just gotten so huge. Today's "compact" pickup truck is the size of yesterday's house trailer.
And parking spaces have gotten smaller. We have a library that opened a few years ago and the vast majority of parking spaces are clearly marked compact car only. The vast majority of vehicles in the lot are no compact. And they are parking in the compact spots....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 01:07 PM

12,841 posts, read 9,041,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Part of the problem is that vehicles have just gotten so huge. Today's "compact" pickup truck is the size of yesterday's house trailer.

No, for the most part vehicles today, are not bigger than they used to be. Even the 4 door trucks so many on here are complaining about are about the size they used to (except for those who seem to be fascinated with giant tires). The difference is back then everyone's car was big and the only ones who ran the big pickups were construction, and farmers, and such. Now there are a lot of housewives who drive them so you just see more of them. Back then they drove station wagons. Now days they call them cross overs because station wagon just sounds so "square" . The fundamental size of vehicle to carry mom, dad, the kids, half a ball team, their gear, and the dog hasn't changed. Cars are just so downsized that now families drive the apparently bigger vehicle to have the same room inside as before.

What really happened is the parking spaces have been downsized. So pretty much any vehicle that's the same size as the standard car of yesteryear will hang over on some or all sides. Heck the old 72 Impala I learned to drive in was bigger and had a bigger engine than my truck does today.

Old 02-08-2015, 03:05 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
No, for the most part vehicles today, are not bigger than they used to be. Even the 4 door trucks so many on here are complaining about are about the size they used to (except for those who seem to be fascinated with giant tires). The difference is back then everyone's car was big and the only ones who ran the big pickups were construction, and farmers, and such. Now there are a lot of housewives who drive them so you just see more of them. Back then they drove station wagons. Now days they call them cross overs because station wagon just sounds so "square" . The fundamental size of vehicle to carry mom, dad, the kids, half a ball team, their gear, and the dog hasn't changed. Cars are just so downsized that now families drive the apparently bigger vehicle to have the same room inside as before.

What really happened is the parking spaces have been downsized. So pretty much any vehicle that's the same size as the standard car of yesteryear will hang over on some or all sides. Heck the old 72 Impala I learned to drive in was bigger and had a bigger engine than my truck does today.
That is correct. The problem is some do not park them well in parking lots. Anyone on occasion can do a bad park job. It is simply a matter of looking after you get out of the vehicle and getting back in and straightening it out if needed. It sure beats someone trying to squeeze in next to you with a potential to cause damage.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:36 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,937,739 times
Quite a few years ago in Denver during the Xmas holidays, 1 person was waiting to pull into a spot and another car shot in and took it... The guy who has been waiting got a tire iron out of his trunk and beat the other driver in the head a few times...

He then tried to drive off but people in the lot blocked him in and held him until police arrived...

Now I understand he was PO'd because of someone jumping in the spot, BUT look what he had to deal with the rest of his life....

Old 02-08-2015, 06:52 PM

275 posts, read 332,085 times
I've had people park so close that I couldn't open the driver's door to get in my car...worse in the winter when the snow is covering the spaces.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:32 PM

289 posts, read 504,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Another peeve is people who park the wrong way on the street. It's always the people on the other side of the street who would rather turn around at the beginning of their trip and not at the end of it. Either that, or they prefer to step out of the car onto the sidewalk, and not onto the street.
My sister did that once and got a parking ticket. I imagine in many places that is illegal. The cop at the police station explained that it was a violation because she would have had to drive on the wrong side of the road to park her car like that and drive on the wrong side when she left that spot.

Old 02-08-2015, 11:13 PM

185 posts, read 184,805 times
This is hilarious to read! I've never noticed because I always park at the end where there are no cars near me.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:45 AM

282 posts, read 447,099 times
Because they are childish babies.

Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,527,393 times
I get annoyed by folks who park over the lines because parking spaces ARE smaller than they used to be and inevitably my car doors get dinged by careless people who seem oblivious. Where I work, parking is a huge problem. If you arrive after 7:30am you can expect a 15 minute walk to the building which, when you are carrying laptops, lunch bags, etc. and it's 10 degrees, can bring out the worst in people. Every new car I have owned has been dinged in this lot within 6 months of purchase. People park over the lines and then open their doors and carelessly dinging the car next to them. I interpret it as rude and careless behavior. It's just not that difficult to park within the lines and to be careful opening your doors. As far as folks who intentionally take up 2 spots because their vehicle is "special" - I have no sympathy for whatever happens to their car.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:02 AM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
In my big city, there are lots of enormous stores with equally huge parking lots. I have noticed many times that people develop road rage (parking rage?) fighting over parking spaces. I find this puzzling. Why does a stupid parking space matter so much? In quite a few of these rage instances, there are many other spots available. Yet customers will actually get into physical fights or yelling matches if they don't get whichever parking space they feel they are entitled to. Or they will wait several minutes, blocking traffic, while an already parked customer loads their crap in their car so they can get that special parking space. Costco and IKEA are particularly bad about causing rage in the customers attempting to park. How hard is it to just be courteous, let another customer have a closer space, and park further away? Is it that difficult to walk an extra 20 feet? I've never gotten angry about parking spaces. If I can't get a close one, I just look for another
People spend more time looking for a close space than they would if they took the distant space and walked maybe 10 yards further.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology