Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2015, 02:47 PM

267 posts, read 303,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
actually, there are probably a lot more people who feel the same way you do. I am asking why you feel this way. Once you understand why you feel this way, you can then go on to find avenues to deal with it.
Oh, I know there are others who feel this way. I'm saying you wouldn't understand because you're a person, I'm guessing, who is of West European descent.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:52 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThingsLikeThat View Post
Is hatred in your heart curable? I don't even know if hatred is the right word, but if someone has genuine disgust and disdain for a group of people, is it possible that it will ever be completely cured? I can honestly say that, if by chance, there was something that threatened the entire Western European descended race I wouldn't lift a finger to help them, even if I could do so effortlessly.

I know that's probably not right, but it's how I feel and I feel justified in my views.
Sounds like you need a therapist. No joke.

And for what it's worth, there is no "western European" race. Race is not defined by land mass.

Old 02-12-2015, 02:56 PM

3,840 posts, read 4,511,030 times
Quote:
Oh, I know there are others who feel this way. I'm saying you wouldn't understand because you're a person, I'm guessing, who is of West European descent.
"You wouldn't understand because you're X" is a giant cop-out, mate. Huge weasel phrase.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Sounds like you need a therapist. No joke.

And for what it's worth, there is no "western European" race. Race is not defined by land mass.
I never said Western European race, please re-read.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:18 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,560 times
My suggestion is to practice giving EVERY.ONE. the same benefit of the doubt, regardless of race, creed, etc. It's easy to lump an entire group of people into one general bunch, based on stereotypes. It's more of a challenge (and therefore more rewarding and enriching for you) to be open-minded and willing to judge based on individual merit. Do not allow your fears to run you away from people, places, etc.

I'm not saying bend over backwards and be everyone's doormat friend, just treat others like you want to be treated. Start slowly. Tomorrow, say "Good morning" to someone you normally wouldn't speak to. See what happens.

Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkiforniainHouston View Post
My suggestion is to practice giving EVERY.ONE. the same benefit of the doubt, regardless of race, creed, etc. It's easy to lump an entire group of people into one general bunch, based on stereotypes. It's more of a challenge (and therefore more rewarding and enriching for you) to be open-minded and willing to judge based on individual merit. Do not allow your fears to run you away from people, places, etc.

I'm not saying bend over backwards and be everyone's doormat friend, just treat others like you want to be treated. Start slowly. Tomorrow, say "Good morning" to someone you normally wouldn't speak to. See what happens.
Well said. And just for the record, I'm most certainly not running away from people who are of West European descent because of fear.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:14 PM

14,945 posts, read 12,139,254 times
Quote:
Is hatred in your heart curable? I don't even know if hatred is the right word, but if someone has genuine disgust and disdain for a group of people, is it possible that it will ever be completely cured? I can honestly say that, if by chance, there was something that threatened the entire Western European descended race I wouldn't lift a finger to help them, even if I could do so effortlessly.

I know that's probably not right, but it's how I feel and I feel justified in my views. Even though I do feel justified, it is a heavy burden to carry and I'm probably looking at a year or more before I can move out of America, so I'll have no choice but to be around people of European descent, and even when I do move I probably won't be able to completely escape their presence. Is there anyone here who has experience dealing with hate and what is the best cure for doing so? Thanks in advance and please no religious dogma.
It's all in your mindset. Your problem.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,891,953 times
Quote:
I never said Western European race, please re-read.

You infer "WHITE", plain and simple. You are an opinionated and bigoted racist who can't/won't explain why.
Have no fear; you are safe as enough have swallowed the PC Kool Aid and you are given a free pass.

Old 02-12-2015, 04:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
I think somebody's just trying to stir the pot....

Old 02-12-2015, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You infer "WHITE", plain and simple. You are an opinionated and bigoted racist who can't/won't explain why.
Have no fear; you are safe as enough have swallowed the PC Kool Aid and you are given a free pass.
There's no inference sir, that's exactly what I'm saying. I refuse to refer to people as a color and will either say that you're of European Descent or European American.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology