Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 06:59 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times

Advertisements

Ok, so you made it to grad school. First year? By this time you should have all the basic study skills in place. However grad schools is a somewhat different beast. The material comes faster and profs expect a higher minimum level of performance. You haven't told us yet what your field of study is, nor what the specific course and material you had trouble with is. That would help us come up with some more specific suggestions beyond the standard information that a typical freshman might not yet know, but you have already been exposed to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,832,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I failed an exam yesterday, and it was for a class taught by the professor I do research with, which created a very bad first impression. I also failed to secure an internship after several interviews. Both of these failures are tearing me into shreds. I had a brief period of suicide thoughts, but showered in cold water to shock myself and successfully prevent me from thinking in such a way.

How do I overcome such situations ?
Graduate School Breakdown is very real.

Failed an exam? Find the reasons for the failure and move on. The past is done and cannot be changed but also does not have to be repeated.

Re. Internship. Depends on how the interviews went and the type of persons interviewing. It may be you are not ready or do not meet the criteria or it maybe their was no chemistry between you and the interviewer.

Decide if it is the former. Take corrective measures and plan for the next round. If the latter, then improve your interviewing skills but learning the attributes necessary for successful interviewing.

But first, go to the gym, then go to a bar, get drunk and get sex. Then start the next day new as per the above. A mans got to relieve the tension to have a clear head.

Old 02-16-2015, 08:35 AM

25,557 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
If you want a thing bad enough, then go out and fight for it.
To work day and night for it.
Give up your time, your peace, and your sleep for it.
if all that your dream and scheme is about it.
Life seems useless and worthless without it.
and if you gladly sweat for it, and fret for it, and plan for it
and lose all your terror of the opposition for it.
and if you simply go after this thing that you want with all of your capacity,
strenth and sagacity,
faith, hope, and confidence,
and stern pertinacity.
Then neither cold or poverty, sickness or pain,
body or brain can keep you away from the thing that you want.
Like This Guy?

Old 02-16-2015, 09:29 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
Why did you fail the exam? Didn't you study? Since it's a first impression of your professor when did the research begin? Surely you know why you failed the exam. so why did you? Do you spend a lot of time on the internet?
LOL! With 9611 posts, apparently O/P spends a lot of time on the C/D site! Maybe a job/career in writing is something she/he might be more suited to!
As to 'shocking yourself with cold water' back into reality, as a way to thwart suicide...probably not a good idea or only a temporary 'fix'. Maybe seeking some therapy briefly, might help you to sort out what your priorities are and could help you.

Old 02-16-2015, 09:37 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
A I plead guilty to the professor later that afternoon, and told him "I am extremely sorry for being a disappointment" in a mellow tone.
This isn't about being guilty or being a disappointment to your professor (honestly, most don't care in that way.) This is about being able to be resilient and to help yourself. You don't need to apologize, you need to tell your professor that you weren't pleased with your performance on the test and that you'd like to schedule a meeting to discuss what he thinks you can do so that it doesn't happen the next time. You're paying for an education, and you're well within your rights to make sure you're getting the most out of it.

Quote:
The people in our career center are stuck up and don't really help with anything at all. Plus, their portal is full of bugs which are never fixed. I've emailed the network management guys numerous times regarding issues, and they neither reply back nor fix the issue. That's part of the reason why I'm suffering.
Have you spoken to an actual human being, or are you just sending emails? You say that you're suffering, but you need to learn how to advocate for yourself. It's not your job to fix the career center's website. It is your job to be the best student you can be.

Last edited by fleetiebelle; 02-16-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 02-16-2015, 09:50 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
I'm sorry Adi I have moments like this too.Don't beat yourself up over it.Can you take the exam again or ask for extra credit.I know I did extra reports from my professor to bring the grade up.Or retake the class with a different professor.Sometimes its not you it's their teaching skills.And get yourself out there on the college website career services. You can narrow your search to internships.Many won't take you unless you are currently in college. You can put a resume up on job search engines too.

Its not the end buddy, just the beginning.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:01 AM

8,514 posts, read 4,492,508 times
So you failed a test. Guess what? You're going to fail, or not excel at any number of things in life. Pick yourself up and just keep moving. On a practical note, go speak with the professor in question. I read that you apologized. Wrong choice. Failing a test does not deserve an apology. Embarassing yes. Apology no. It just happens sometimes. (It's happened to me, and I was a decent student.) Your conversation with the professor should go more along the lines of trying to understand what happened and trying to improve your performance for the NEXT test. Since you have been doing research with him, you must have some kind of rapport. Use that rapport to improve your performance. He's not out to see you fail, but rather to see you succeed.

As for the internship interview, in the course of your life you will likely have multiple job interviews and you will not get every job you interview for. You won't even get interviews for many of the jobs you even apply for. Again, this is not the end of the world, although it seems it at age 22 sometimes, as there will be other internships, better internships that you will be a better fit.

Old 02-16-2015, 10:20 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
This isn't about being guilty or being a disappointment to your professor (honestly, most don't care in that way.) This is about being able to be resilient and to help yourself. You don't need to apologize, you need to tell your professor that you weren't pleased with your performance on the test and that you'd like to schedule a meeting to discuss what he thinks you can do so that it doesn't happen the next time. You're paying for an education, and you're well within your rights to make sure you're getting the most out of it.

Have you spoken to an actual human being, or are you just sending emails? You say that you're suffering, but you need to learn how to advocate for yourself. It's not your job to fix the career center's website. It is your job to be the best student you can be.
I agree no need to apologize, especially the way you did, which to me sounds like sad sack, "please whip me" or something, which isn't going to garner respect fron anyone. Take responsibility don't ask him for a solution.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:44 AM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Absolutely the BEST squirrel pic ever!

Old 02-16-2015, 08:19 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,200,113 times
Well, we got the test's back today, and thankfully I barely made a passing grade (didn't fail as I assumed). I now know what I did wrong, what to expect, and won't repeat those mistakes on successive tests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology