Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 12:30 PM

20,321 posts, read 19,905,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBPisgah View Post
Some adults turn into this. ^^ They've internalized the stale assumption that because adulthood can be serious, fun is only for kids. It's not just that fun is something you are forced to outgrow by the weight of adult responsibilities. It's that fun is something adults should look down on in other adults. The "fun is appropriate for kids only" crowd. And, of course, no place manufactures these Daleks like corporations. These are the kind of people who don't want me to like Pinkie Pie!!
You read waaay too much into my post. Be who ever you want. That's what I'm doing with my interests and hobbies that give me personal satisfaction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2015, 01:38 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Yep. Also, most adults are living in constant fear of losing their jobs and middle class lifestyle. All it takes is two words from your boss and your whole world can come crashing down. Of course it is taboo to admit that.
The tragedy is this circumstance doesn't have to occur nearly as often as it does:

Getting Rich: from Zero to Hero in One Blog Post

Old 02-22-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprot View Post
I think you need to get out more often...try Disneyland
Disneyland is the perfect example of corporate manufactured "fun". It's the antithesis of creativity.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
That's how corporate America trained them to be they want mindless robots.
It actually starts long before then in the public schools.

Old 02-22-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjury15 View Post
Because when people always have to be right it makes them really rigid and staunch and there's no more guess-work, piecing things together, and finding imaginative means to end. They want to be right, so they will not stray from a set, proven course, whatever that "course" may be. Usually this course is not all that creative. It's A+B = AB or C (that's a little more creative!!! Uh oh!!), or 1+1 = 2 or 11.

It may be the way they argue or come to a conclusion, how they figure out plans for the day or weekend, how they dress in the morning or when they're going out, the way they talk, etc. They must do everything CORRECTLY and win the approval of their peers by being just like them and doing it to their standards. I've heard the term "sheeple" being thrown around a lot. Poor saps.
I agree with your post. But I wanted to point out the problem with sheepledom. We tend to notice this trait in other people and not in ourselves. This is because sheelpledom comes in more than one variety. There is not just one herd of sheeple, but multiple herds. We tend to reserve the term for people we don't agree with while seeing ourselves and the people in our herd in a more positive light, not realizing that maybe we're just in a different herd.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:15 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,306,322 times
Lots of really imaginative authors are adults!

Old 02-22-2015, 02:32 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I know most adults lose a lot of their imagination as they grow older, but how and why? Because of society? Corporate America? When I'm around little kids, they're like adults but much more open, sweet, and fun to talk to. They like to pretend they have super powers and can freeze me. But even when they're not playing pretend the things they say are funny and honest. They're not afraid to call me out on my BS and say "duh" when I say something obvious.
Two separate issues here: imagination, and why we like children.

IMAGINATION: Children have lots of what you term "imagination," since they don't understand the limits of reality and don't have real world knowledge taking up brain capacity. A child may be convinced that there is a monster living under his bed, which I guess indicates that he is "more imaginative" than his parents, who knows from decades of nights that it is safe to go to sleep at night?

It is true that adult thinking tends to fall into patterns that help us make sense of a very complicated world--for instances, people tend to use an object only in the way it is traditionally used (called "functional fixedness"). These patterns may cause us to fail to see "imaginative" solutions--but they evolved as an intellectual "shortcut" that leads us to much faster problem-solving, and problem-solving in highly stressful situations that may otherwise cause us to freeze.

But it is also true that the most intellectually gifted people are the ones who will come up with the imaginative solution to a problem--not the child who would have to think of 10 million situations that could not work before he comes up with the one that would work (for reasons the child does not understand).

THE ANTICS OF CHILDREN: In cooperative species like humans, we are genetically programmed to feel protective and tolerant of the antics of the young (whether they are our young, or the young of others in our group). That keeps us (and wolves, and lions) from killing the group's youngsters when their antics get annoying, and makes us more successful in evolutionary terms.

The youngsters themselves are programmed to be extremely energetic, playful and curious, because these traits hone the skills that produce the most "successful" adults (hunting, fighting, cooperative behavior). Without the benevolent attitudes of the adults, energetic and unrestrained play can easily annoy adults to the point where they violently lash out and hurt or kill the youngsters.

But in cooperative species, the adults cannot act like the youngsters, because strict social rules are necessary for the adults to successfully hunt, as well as to protect the group from other groups of that want exclusive rights over the best territory. Without these social rules that determine the hierarchy of power (i.e., which adults and their offspring take the first/best meat from the kill), the group adults would be constantly fighting with each other, and causing injuries that would hinder the group's hunting and defense capabilities.

You conclude that kids are "much more open, sweet and fun to talk to," but what you are seeing is that they haven't yet developed the social skills that they will need as adults--and that they see themselves as equal to adults (rather than as people to be respected and deferred to). You like that they "call you out on your BS," but they will similarly "call you out" if you do anything they don't like--like refuse to give them money for something they want, or try to stop them from doing something unsafe that they want to do.

Remember, such children will say "Suzie is ugly!" and "Jimmie is a retard" just as openly as they say "I like you!" for giving them candy. Note that you are generalizing from the actions of the children you know--probably relatively well-behaved children, that you are related to, and who don't associate you with discipline or daily drudgery. I doubt you'd say that think that the children of a crack-addicted single mother were "open, sweet and fun to talk to" if you were a police officer arresting said mother in front of her kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKelly View Post
I get bored of the conversations I have but don't know how to turn it around. They become so straight laced. About the weather, a straight story of whatever happened.. I have an easier time talking to international students. They tell me maybe Americans are too polite or whatever, but they also seem very closed off.
You find conversations with "international students" interesting because they can talk about experiences and ideas you find novel, and may come from cultures that do not have the reserved nature of people like New Englanders (I personally find people from America's interior far more friendly, and interesting, than my NH neighbors). The mere fact that they are students here (probably grad students) means they are people who are interested in America and enjoy talking to Americans.

Obviously conversations with those who lead identical lives will be boring if you don't know them well enough to talk on interesting subjects, which will not happen unless you get past the stage of mere acquaintances. Once you are friends you can discuss interesting topics like religion and politics, or topics of mutual interest like psychology or economics or foreign policy, etc.

Old 02-22-2015, 03:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
Not sure how anyone could draw the conclusion that most adults lack imagination and are straight laced. I'm not and I know I'm not alone.

Old 02-22-2015, 06:28 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,669,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Because adults have serious responsibilities and kids do not. Adults are imaginative, but on a grown up level.
And kids are dealing with concepts and ideas that adults have long since mastered, so they aren't very interesting. I agree with the OP, though, that the world is full of unimaginative, pedestrian adults. In their defense, they were just as boring as kids.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoNative34 View Post
Those are the ones living in their parents' basement when they're 30.
Yep ,read them post help threads all the time; so it doesn't mean they do not now they have a problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology