Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 08:39 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times

Advertisements

ugggh.
I have to present tonight to around 300 people and, as expected, I'm a nervous wreck. I hate doing it. I hate being this nervous. It's all I can think about. I already have butterflies in my stomach and it's only 10:30 in the morning and my presentation isn't until 6pm tonight.

I've rehearsed and practiced over and over again the more I do i the more nervous I get. Why can I not control this awful jittery, nervous feeling? It's very uncomfortable. I'll be so glad when it's over. I feel like im gonna be shaking like a leaf when I present and my voice is gonna sound quivery and im gonna be all sweaty and fight or flight mode is gonna be on. . .

Do u think having a glass of wine before I go on is a good idea? Perhaps a valium? lol jk, but what does one to to calm the nerves? I dont want to mess this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 09:11 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,254,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post

Do u think having a glass of wine before I go on is a good idea? Perhaps a valium?

Half-a-dozen valiums washed down with a blast of bourbon.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
Ok not that much, but a xanax or drink might help....but don't get sloppy.

Meditation? A nap? Smelling lavender?

Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
But do realize, lots of people are terrified of public speaking and chances are if you do come off as nervous, the audience will try to put you at ease, they are human and they understand. And people aren't going to be laughing...there is hardly a soul who hasn't had pre-speaking jitters.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,186 times
Here is how I do it. I look at my audience and speak as if they are in my living room. If that does not put me in my comfort zone I look at the audience and imagine them naked, except for socks..

I then take a deep breath, smile, and start my presentation. Works every time. No drinking, or pill popping before. You want to be on top of your game

Take five minutes to meditate and center yourself before you start speaking. good luck you will be fine.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:05 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,833,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
ugggh.
I have to present tonight to around 300 people and, as expected, I'm a nervous wreck. I hate doing it. I hate being this nervous. It's all I can think about. I already have butterflies in my stomach and it's only 10:30 in the morning and my presentation isn't until 6pm tonight.

I've rehearsed and practiced over and over again the more I do i the more nervous I get. Why can I not control this awful jittery, nervous feeling? It's very uncomfortable. I'll be so glad when it's over. I feel like im gonna be shaking like a leaf when I present and my voice is gonna sound quivery and im gonna be all sweaty and fight or flight mode is gonna be on. . .

Do u think having a glass of wine before I go on is a good idea? Perhaps a valium? lol jk, but what does one to to calm the nerves? I dont want to mess this up.
It is not easy and truly only comes with practice.

Ask yourself:

Do you know your subject matter?
Are you confident about your research?
Remember the people in the audience may or may not be aware of your subject to the degree you do or in the particular view you are presenting. You are the expert even if the audience is experts your view is unique.
You are among colleagues an friends. No adversaries in the audience. They want to hear you talk. They want to feel your interest in the subject.
Assuming the lighting conditions allow, find a focal point or person in the audience and treat the presentation as if you are talking to that person. Preferrably in the center of the audience.

I hate to add this but try to maintain your body movements so they either flow with your emphasis or a stationary when you are lecturing. I know it is difficult to do in the moment. But if you are lost in the moment it means your passion has kicked in and your energy is flowing. So win-win either way.

The above is from a Dale Carnegie Course on Public Speaking. You are in Miami. Look into Toastmaster International for courses of this will be a repeat item.

I stuttered my first time teaching. Class laughed. I took classes and have developed into a power presenter.

Best Wishes, I have been there many times. My wife who has a PhD was a nervous wreck presenter at University. She learned as well. Started with the above. She is quite good now.

Have seen many of your posts here. You are a smart person. You will do well.

Last edited by Felix C; 02-24-2015 at 11:19 AM..

Old 02-24-2015, 12:46 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,689,147 times
I feel for you, lorazapam can take the edge off. If you cant get that then...

- Take a walk or run to try and relieve some nervous energy (since its still early in the day)
- Do vocal exercises. These have helped me get my mind off of the speech and and improve annunciation
- Deceive your body with these exercises (arms up before your speech
- Breathe

Good luck!

Old 02-24-2015, 07:29 PM

604 posts, read 839,026 times
I despise public speaking and have to occasionally present meetings to fairly large groups of about 150 people. I get very nervous, and afterwards I'm useless and utterly exhausted for several hours.

I know my subject matter quite well, but I still don't like public speaking. One thing that seems to settle my nerves a little is to start the meeting by telling the audience that I don't like public speaking and to please bear with me. Everyone laughs because I'm sure most of them feel the same way. It also makes me seem more human.....I think anyway.

Old 02-25-2015, 05:35 AM

652 posts, read 873,657 times
Xanax usually helps in a pinch. I would recommend a little booze to calm the nerves.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:14 AM

5,390 posts, read 9,687,621 times
Well, I survived and it went pretty well, I think.

So glad it's now the next day and it's over. The first 10 to 15 seconds are always the worst. Thats when I feel like my voice shakes, but usually once the initial shock of starting to speak wears off im ok.

Thanks for the kind words of support, people.
I didn't need valium or booze after all, tho I'm sure I could have used it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology