Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 02:27 PM

917 posts, read 1,383,057 times

Advertisements

I work with a woman who fills up a glass with ice and just shakes it all day long. I am right by her office so I have a view of her all day long since she refuses to close the door to her office. Just seems odd, is it or is this normal?

She brings her own bags of ice and puts them in our office fridge. This is a new thing she does..

It's kinda driving me crazy but I dont know if it's just me since I know I can be easily annoyed or if this is something that might bug someone else. But Im curious if this might be some type of nervous habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 03:13 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,197,081 times
If it's distracting those around her, she needs to put that particular nervous twitch on ice.

Ba-DAH-bum tch! Thank you, I'll be here all week.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:36 PM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,452,480 times
Obsessively repetitive stuff like that sounds like a form of asperger's "self stimming".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_T9nQPCmxmk

Old 02-27-2015, 04:50 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Of course, what would be fun would be if you could start whistling off-key all day to drive her nuts, and when she says it's bothering her, you could innocently say, sorry, I'm just trying to drown out the noise of the glass clinking.

Look, this really isn't a psychology question. What do you care if it's a nervous habit? It's really an etiquette question. It would help if you have other co-workers who agree with you, so that you could make a joint ultimatum - either stop, or shut the door. Or I wonder if you told her she'd have to by a white-noise machine to cover the sound, if that would work. But, more simply, do you have a boss you could go to and nicely explain the situation?

Old 02-27-2015, 05:30 PM

743 posts, read 831,770 times
Bring an iPod and play the genre she hates the most on low, but just high enough for her to hear it all day. If she doesn't like it, you can then inform her of her annoying habit that I guarantee she is aware of.

Old 02-28-2015, 03:46 AM

4,575 posts, read 5,188,065 times
It could be a nervous/stress release thing. If it is distracting from work, you could let her know to close her door, and try to work on getting rid of said habit.

But some just do that. If I eat a ring pop, I save the ring parts and rattle them in my hand sometimes. The sound is relaxing. Don't ask why. Idk, just is.But I find many random sounds relaxing, some I have on my IPod to listen to when trying to nod off lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology