Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 11:18 AM

804 posts, read 1,075,637 times

Advertisements

im not sure my cousins wife would ever shut up without facebook to keep her occupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,817,730 times
Use it if you want: ignore it otherwise. I don't understand why some people are obsessed about other peoples' obsession.

Old 03-03-2015, 12:45 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,539,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believe007 View Post
Eh, I'm also an introvert....
Very private, kinda shy & I loathe Fakebook.
I love when I meet someone IRL who also doesn't do FB--
it's one of the top things that impresses me, actually.

Fakebook has created nothing but attention wh*res at every level.
It also feeds the narcissism that is so prevalent in today's society.
LOL I call it Failbook

I'm also an introvert and don't get the whole FB/Insta/Snap/Line thing. I did have a FB back in the day and did enjoy reconnecting with people from my younger days.

I had quite a few friends that would post every.little.thing. they did, pictures of food, drinks, the street, a mop and bucket (cleaning up my house today for my AMAZING husband), oh and here is....another pic of my AMAZING kids......my cats all poop in the litter box and never miss....they are.........AMAZINGGGGGG!!!!

I just deleted my account and never looked back hahahhaa

Old 03-03-2015, 01:10 PM

202 posts, read 231,269 times
Me, too. I joined in hope of reconnecting with high school people. Well, even the ones I was "friends" with had become hooty-tooty-snootie. I did not mention my success to them and promply requested the deletion of my file. I didn't die, I haven't felt isolated, etc. Actually, I feel freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.............

Old 03-03-2015, 01:22 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
Use it if you want: ignore it otherwise. I don't understand why some people are obsessed about other peoples' obsession.
Ummm....You do realize that you're in a psychology forum where people tend to ask questions about the mindset of others do you?

Old 03-03-2015, 02:56 PM

340 posts, read 645,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
Now I'm not bashing those who are as described. To each their own. If that's what makes you happy then who am I to judge. All I ask is to help me understand the obsession and appeal behind it because I don't see it.
OP: How do you feel when you are here on C-D, reading and posting opinions, little facets of your life, experiences, etc?

Old 03-03-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmergencyOps View Post
OP: How do you feel when you are here on C-D, reading and posting opinions, little facets of your life, experiences, etc?
It's anonymous therefore it's nothing like the social media sites where one goes on to open up the front door so that everyone can get a peek at what's going on inside thier personal lives.

C-D is a way for me to kill some time reading and engaging in some interesting topics while at work.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:35 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
I guess me being an introvert has lots to do with not being interested in social media what so ever. I just don't see the upside to advertising my personal life. Call me old fashion, but If I want to contact someone, I will do it via text, call or email. If I want to send you a pic I will text or email it to you. If you don't have my number and vice versa then maybe its for a good reason. I don't see the appeal in trying to rack up "friends" via social media sites who aren't actually friends but instead people who just want to see what I post and vice versa.

I see many people (friends and co-workers) constantly on instagram or facebook updating statuses, pictures, posting moods and feelings, announcing where they are or where they just came back from, where they are eating, etc.. I just don't get it. What do they get out of doing this? At the same time I see these people spend quite a lot of time snooping thru everyone else's pages and checking their statuses, pics, etc...

Now I'm not bashing those who are as described. To each their own. If that's what makes you happy then who am I to judge. All I ask is to help me understand the obsession and appeal behind it because I don't see it.
You don't have to understand this. You can accept it. I don't understand certain things about people either, but I don't have to. It does help to simply accept.

And unless you see behavior that is damaging, I wouldn't waste mental energy judging other people either. Life is too short.

Old 03-03-2015, 07:29 PM

723 posts, read 868,659 times
That's easy. It's a narcissist's wet dream.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:07 AM

There's also a condition called FOMO (Fear of missing out).

FOMO Addiction: The Fear of Missing Out | World of Psychology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology